kelly post game on tess darby tess is a shooter

Personally I am going with Coach who has the best basis for evaluation.
Well, Kelly has many fine qualities as a coach, but, historically, assessing shooters has never been a primary skill of hers. I did a breakdown last year of how her teams have consistently had mediocre shooting and plentiful turnovers. I do hope she's right about Tess, but right now that's not a great looking ball she puts up there.

When TN decides to USE their 3 point shooters and mean use them in the actual offense not just 1 or 2 x a game then we can dictate who can shoot and who can't. Why even recruit them as a "Shooter" when you know good and well you aren't going to use them enough to even be considered a shooter. Its ridiculous. I hate to be negative but it just seems like all TN does is play pick up ball, never any offensive sets for the shooters
Why do you think kids that are basically just considered shooters never succeed at TN... because they don't set them up for success, they don't hon in on what they are good at etc. Watch IOWA state, Indiana etc who recruit good 3 pt shooter but the difference is they utilize them time and time again ... makes a big difference and those kind of teams will whip your butt if they are on. Problem w TN is we have NO go to shooter noone to light up anyone and when we do have a shooter on the floor they rarely get the ball.
I saw jumper speak of Madi and how she hit 13 in a row and shoots 60+ in practice i love this kid and I want to see her at TN but unfortunately I feel she would not have great success here unless we get a different system going, that goes for any elite shooter we may recruit ... JMO

When TN decides to USE their 3 point shooters and mean use them in the actual offense not just 1 or 2 x a game then we can dictate who can shoot and who can't. Why even recruit them as a "Shooter" when you know good and well you aren't going to use them enough to even be considered a shooter. Its ridiculous. I hate to be negative but it just seems like all TN does is play pick up ball, never any offensive sets for the shooters
Why do you think kids that are basically just considered shooters never succeed at TN... because they don't set them up for success, they don't hon in on what they are good at etc. Watch IOWA state, Indiana etc who recruit good 3 pt shooter but the difference is they utilize them time and time again ... makes a big difference and those kind of teams will whip your butt if they are on. Problem w TN is we have NO go to shooter noone to light up anyone and when we do have a shooter on the floor they rarely get the ball.
I saw jumper speak of Madi and how she hit 13 in a row and shoots 60+ in practice i love this kid and I want to see her at TN but unfortunately I feel she would not have great success here unless we get a different system going, that goes for any elite shooter we may recruit ... JMO

I agree that we need a new system but I’ve watched our players get open looks and they just miss them.

Her defense was pretty good last night against UCF - announcers kept commenting on how well she was defending. Honestly, look for a break out game shooting wise in very near future.

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK
I don't think screening action and ball movement on offense has been good enough to get the real good open looks at the three. I think Jordan has had a few really nice looks didn't make any. The team we played last night was wary of Darby shooting threes they would close everytime the ball went her way. She finally took what was a really bad look and walked on another when the defender closed as she was going to shoot. When she was at Greenfield I watched a few games and she always hit at least three or four a game sometimes six or seven. They were always wide open looks most of the time not a defender within three feet. I think that is the kind of looks she will be able to make a high percentage of now. If we can get more screening action and ball movement should be able to get a few open looks from the three per game. I would call the ones we are taking now mostly low percentage shots kind of hurried not really set.

We had plenty of open looks at the basket last night and missed something like 13 three pt shots.

And we balanced things out by missing at least that many layups.

It just seems like there is zero emphasis put on finishing shots. I don't know what they are doing in practice, but it isn't working. We are normally a bad shooting team. That is one of our hallmarks. But we are atrocious thus far this year.

I don't think screening action and ball movement on offense has been good enough to get the real good open looks at the three. I think Jordan has had a few really nice looks didn't make any. The team we played last night was wary of Darby shooting threes they would close everytime the ball went her way. She finally took what was a really bad look and walked on another when the defender closed as she was going to shoot. When she was at Greenfield I watched a few games and she always hit at least three or four a game sometimes six or seven. They were always wide open looks most of the time not a defender within three feet. I think that is the kind of looks she will be able to make a high percentage of now. If we can get more screening action and ball movement should be able to get a few open looks from the three per game. I would call the ones we are taking now mostly low percentage shots kind of hurried not really set.
agree one on one make youur shoot unlike when key set pick for horstin late in game . key pick two south f defeners leaving horstin easy layup

just watched 1st tenn vs south il karoline can out set a pick for tess she had time shoot it went in and out. not a set play karoline saw the defener guard tess close she came out block her off karoline defener did not help so tess had time to step in shoot.

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
tess darby tenn radio player of game 4 of 8 shooting 3 of 6 from 3 4rebs 1steals

Well, Kelly has many fine qualities as a coach, but, historically, assessing shooters has never been a primary skill of hers. I did a breakdown last year of how her teams have consistently had mediocre shooting and plentiful turnovers. I do hope she's right about Tess, but right now that's not a great looking ball she puts up there.
You must have missed the shooters she had at Missouri State. She had a few that were lights out basically anywhere on the court.

You must have missed the shooters she had at Missouri State. She had a few that were lights out basically anywhere on the court.
Didn't miss anybody. I worked out the numbers on all of Kellie's teams. There was a girl named Fruendt she had at Missouri State who was once 188th and once 139th nationally in 3pt percentage. Kellie's teams were ranked 101, 96, 136, 150, 186, and 90 in percentage. Consistently around 32% (at all her coaching stops) with an occasional dip below 31% and an occasional bump to 34%.

Reactions: mcannon1
Didn't miss anybody. I worked out the numbers on all of Kellie's teams. There was a girl named Fruendt she had at Missouri State who was once 188th and once 139th nationally in 3pt percentage. Kellie's teams were ranked 101, 96, 136, 150, 186, and 90 in percentage. Consistently around 32% (at all her coaching stops) with an occasional dip below 31% and an occasional bump to 34%.
Liza Fruendt is on Kellie’s staff now as her director of recruiting operations hired her this season

she started this game and played significant minutes...some shooters are practice shooters and some are game shooters...so far I haven't seen a game-shooter....

Not throwing her under the bus, but if a player is known as and comes into the org with a label...they need to produce in that label
tess darby played the long and won go vols 247 in story tess was top 60 on recuiting her softmore year i read it when she commited to tennessee and watch greenfield vs tca 2017 youtube when was a freshmen i knew she was good enought be a lady vol hope she stays injury free she prove unbelivers wrong. read the story its tells when tenn call to offer tess

Keep shooting young lady....
ejQo1wkt_400x400.jpg
Nice teeth...

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK
tenn a nice set play for tess on inbounce pass her off key. horston cross court pass tess shot in flow . and you see key fake pass to darby darby's man stay on tess and key drive to the basket and beat her man with pretty layup

trivia: Golden State is leading the NBA with 37.5% and Detroit last at just below 30% and the rest of the league between that 08%

Indiana has one player 13-23 ytd and as a team .375, but no other player is at the .375% level. The last 3-point shot from Patberg rimmed out against Stanford .

with the distance increased from last year I would expect most teams will be effected.

kelly 20 class suarez sec all sec team freshmen darby had lingering lower leg injury that limit her time last year both have guard forward skills this class is better than people say. do know the future but if injurys stay way people will say not bad class after all

Darby has a nice stroke when she is clean. She hesitates to take the shot if defended by a capable athlete covering her, understandable. She can have a nice career without being able to create her own shot, upside is limited by that deficiency but smart players work around that some with other skills.

Darby has a nice stroke when she is clean. She hesitates to take the shot if defended by a capable athlete covering her, understandable. She can have a nice career without being able to create her own shot, upside is limited by that deficiency but smart players work around that some with other skills.

As a coach, you can work with that. Darby can set up on the wing or the corner and whoever is guarding her can't leave to help on Horston or Key without taking a big risk on a catch and shoot kick out. The "shooter threat" makes all your teammates better.

she one step back three and the drive and dish to green was pretty. she passes good to. she plays smart when she faster player on her.

VN Store

Back