kelly post game on tess darby tess is a shooter

As a coach, you can work with that. Darby can set up on the wing or the corner and whoever is guarding her can't leave to help on Horston or Key without taking a big risk on a catch and shoot kick out. The "shooter threat" makes all your teammates better.

That`s true but it also depends on the matchup and the team you are playing. Teams with a decent post player should not double Key the reason Key is very limited on the offensive end make her prove she can beat you ?. I watched Tex Tech and GA yesterday and Tex Tech Fr center 6-4 Khadija Faye was hold her own against 6-5 Staiti and at one point out playing her.

As a coach, you can work with that. Darby can set up on the wing or the corner and whoever is guarding her can't leave to help on Horston or Key without taking a big risk on a catch and shoot kick out. The "shooter threat" makes all your teammates better.
Think how much better it gets when you add Rae Burrell back into the roster. Key, Dye, and Horston should see their stats improve a lot.

Think how much better it gets when you add Rae Burrell back into the roster. Key, Dye, and Horston should see their stats improve a lot.
rae can knot down 3 and horston has a nice 3 if not force and kelly want dye to take shots around foul line kelly said dye jumper there is good kelly said that before last game and strplin has set nice picks for puckett,tess shot threes and wynn had a nice game

Last edited:
Honest question? What % do you consider to be elite when it comes to 3pt shooting. In hs? In college ? In pros? Does it usually go up with each level or stay pretty consistent?
I feel like some of the BEST 3pt shooters in the game only shoot somewhere between 33-40 % is this accurate ?? Let's discuss

Honest question? What % do you consider to be elite when it comes to 3pt shooting. In hs? In college ? In pros? Does it usually go up with each level or stay pretty consistent?
I feel like some of the BEST 3pt shooters in the game only shoot somewhere between 33-40 % is this accurate ?? Let's discuss
I would say anyone that shoot 40 percent is elite. 36 to 39 very good, Even 30 percent is the same as 45 percent from the two which in women's basketball is a percentage that half have trouble achieving.

IMO 40% is elite in WCBB. Of players that played in at least 20 games, recorded over 500 total minutes, and made at least one 3 per game in 2020-2021, only 75 shot over 40% 3p%. Benzan at MD shot an incredible 50% (93 of 186). 35% is still very impressive territory and would put you in the top 230 3p shooters percentage-wise. For reference, 477 players met the criteria. There are roughly 3,700 total WCBB D1 players. Our only player meeting the criteria was #70 Rae 40.2%. None of our other players made at least one 3 per game. Davis and Horston were the closest qualifiers and they shot 26% and 28%, respectively.

The reason for the criteria was to only capture the good players that actually consider themselves serious 3p shooters.

Last edited:
Some teams like Mulkey’s Baylor squads deemphasize the 3. But as stated above, anything north of 30% from 3 is better than 45% from 2, it has become a big weapon in WBB. So many good shooters now from 3 compared to 10 years ago. Talent pool is so much deeper now.

With shooters like Darby has become,,you have to start factoring them into your offense and running some set plays designed JUST for their shot.

It very much mirrors baseball
.200-.250: Mendoza Line
.250-.274: Marginal
.275-.300: Acceptable
.300-.375: Marksman
Above .375 Expert

In 2019 out of the 4,511 women's players only 31 shot better than .375

We have 3 shooting pretty goo right now...JW is shooting .263, Puckett .278, Darby .393

Last edited:
Above .375 Expert

We have 3 shooting pretty goo right now...JW is shooting .263, Puckett .278, Darby .393

Which makes it all the more remarkable that there have been years when UConn has had multiple players shooting over 40% from three. UT rarely has a player do that. Hopefully Darby and Rae prove to be exceptions to that trend this year.

Usually, you try to get your guards to hit 40% of all shots they take (not just threes) and your posts to hit 60%. So hitting the 40% mark on just threes puts you among the best.

Reactions: volnationnj
Above .375 Expert

.300-325 will get you into the MLB HOF over a long career. Top three for batting title this were all under .320.

Reactions: Bret178
.300-325 will get you into the MLB HOF over a long career. Top three for batting title this were all under .320.
I measure form the mendoza line to Ted Williams....I am sure my number won't reflect the consensus but they aren't far off

I measure from the "mendoza" line to Ted Williams....I am sure my numbers won't reflect the consensus but they aren't far off and btw marksman is just below expert.

In the Army, at basic training rifle qualifications with an M16,,targets were at 75, 150 and 300 meters. They popped up and we had 3 seconds to shoot it. I was a marksman. I missed expert by one shot (36)
Experts hit 37-40 out of forty
Marksmen hit 34-36
Passing was 30-33

So marksman is no easy get

With shooters like Darby has become,,you have to start factoring them into your offense and running some set plays designed JUST for their shot.

Agree and I saw 2 elements of good coaching in the last game.

1. Like you said, we ran a set play that resulted in Darby draining a wide open look.

2. Horston zipped a 25 foot skip pass because she saw Darby was open for a 3. This tells me that they are being coached to be aware of the open shooter. It seems simple, but it's easy to get tunnel vision on your sets, and it shows Horston is being coached to look for Darby no matter what the set play is.

does tess need to get better geting her own shot off? yes tess does and tenn needs to get better on set plays for their three point shootes rae,tess walker,puckett ,horston
Any word on her injury? Hope it is not a concussion. Those are hard to clear. She is also, if I remember correctly, a very good student so she needs to be clear headed for finals. Not that all students don’t need to be clear headed…..well whatever, you all know what I meant😳

Any word on her injury? Hope it is not a concussion. Those are hard to clear. She is also, if I remember correctly, a very good student so she needs to be clear headed for finals. Not that all students don’t need to be clear headed…..well whatever, you all know what I meant😳
kelly gave them off wed. before thur practice before flying to va tect. kelly knows finals& basketball

Reactions: chuckiepoo
tess was not reason we lost . her defence is improving . tenn needs someone like stripline setting picks for the three point shooters . some said stripline defence is not good but dye and green could not keep stanford from scoring close baskets when key got in foul trouble. dye should have got more shoots. horston tries to do much sometimes .

VN Store

Back