Kellie Jolly Harper is coming home

Tamari Key will enroll at Tennessee this summer along with Jordan Horston and Emily Saunders, Coach KJh called all three players and All three 2019 signees are aboard.

OK đź‘ŚNow we can get started on building this program !

Now (Evina) you want to go all in and lead this ban of rookies or go do your own thing ?

We will be winners sooner rather than later ....
Depends on E and/or Davis ! JMO

It's true. All of the recruits are still coming.

Contrary to DP, I've been told all of the players are coming back too, including Evina.

I guess that is more wait and see.

MTSU...,, you have just made my day!!!!!

I am more into recruiting and the blending of talented players to see what you can build.

Coach Harper has got plenty of talent for probably the first time in her career ? There should be no excuses now ! If she can get by Vandy, Arkansas, Alabama, that alone would be better than last year ! Just Saying

This is going to be interesting...... 🤔

I'll be the first to admit, I do not like this hire, as MANY of my fellow LV fans of 35+ years can concur. Overall record of 285-208 or .578 winning percentage is just not good enough for such a historic program. No way that Phil shouldn't have thrown the Brinks truck at Rueck, Graves, Mulkey, Walz, or Schafer (Tier 1) or even considered Meier, Langley, Close, Pingeton (Tier 2). Hell, Holly's Overall record of 172-67 or .720 winning percentage was even better - and we all know how crappy that was.

One Sweet 16 in 16 years is not impressive for a head coach. Shows Fulmer went bargain basement and lied to us about wanting to restore the LV brand to elite status. If that were true, he would've hired a Tier 1 or maybe a Tier 2 from the list above. I have nothing personal against KJH, I remember and appreciate her tenacity on the court and drive to win, but I'm sorry, to me it take more than having played here to get you the job- especially with such a crappy overall record as HC.

I will sit back and watch to see if she can keep the current roster salvageable and whether or not she can actually coach and recruit next year. But those of us with BVS are skeptical as we ALL should be. Just disappointing Phil couldn't persuade a top notch coach with a proven record to take the helm of this ONCE storied program...

We can’t even get a formal announcement about a women’s coach because all the AD’s time is spent making sure we don’t lose the men’s coach. First things first!! Also we know where extra money from the budget went.....men’s basketball coach. Also did we hire her husband as co-coach? Can she not coach alone? I’ll support her if she’s the coach. If her husband is anything other than her spouse, I don’t. Tennessee needs to get behind women’s sports. I’m sure we won’t get to know who we interviewed. I understand why. But I bet we didn’t even try for Becky Hammond, Kim Mulkey (she wouldn’t come now), or Muffett McGraw or Brenda Friese.

Wellllll we have chosen the cheap let’s suck route.

How in the heck can you reach that conclusion? Pat recruited her to be a LV... Pat put her on the floor at point to run the show. She had high level talent and got high level results. What is not to like? Is it a guarantee? NO.... but I don't see any justification for mealy mouth remarks about her or CPF either... But I will wait till I see a formal announcement before I get too worked up.... guessing she is in the short straws for sure but having to deal with the family member deal like the softball coaches had to deal with... and that has worked out ok...

Hell, Holly's Overall record of 172-67 or .720 winning percentage was even better - and we all know how crappy that was. ...

Your logic just failed citing winning percentages. Holly’s wins were off Pat’s coattails at a premier program. Kelly went out on her own, at a mid-tier and mid-major program, and exceeded expectations at the later. There was no winning on tradition for her. Kelly got to the S16 with a bunch of 2-3* while Holly was one and done with McD AA’s. Holly just got fired and Kelly just won a COY award. Pat was a once in a lifetime, it won’t happen again, even if Wenz or anyone else came, there is no guarantee they could do better than Kelly will.

Last edited:
Your logic just failed citing winning percentages. Holly’s wins were off Pat’s coattails at a premier program. Kelly went out on her own, at a mid-tier and mid-major program, and exceeded expectations at the later. There were no winning on tradition for her. Kelly got to the S16 with a bunch of 2-3* while Holly was one and done with McD AA’s. Holly just got fired and Kelly just won a COY award. Pat was a once in a lifetime, it won’t happen again, even if Wenz or anyone else came, there is no guarantee they could do better than Kelly will.

Kelly succeeded Kay Yow at a premier program. Had the best season in year one with Yow's players, then went straight downhill after that. Recruited poorly and finished 23-39 in ACC play - fired after 4 years. At a place with a winning tradition. Why do you lie?

Fulmer (and by extension, Tennessee) are running a certain risk with Harper. While she is a former player and familiar with the expectations at Tennessee, she also does not have the resume that would jump off the page to a program of its caliber. It’s also a question of why Tennessee would go to the lower ranks to hire a coach, when its reputation and support label it as a top-5 destination in women’s college basketball.

The Rick Barnes saga has everyone’s attention at the moment. But the Harper hire is a big test for Fulmer’s tenure. If he gets this one wrong, Tennessee women’s basketball is going to suffer for years to come.
We fans have NO idea who the UTAD reached out to about interest in this job. Its kind of bold to make a statement like that without actually knowing. I think that this AD knows how to reach out thru agents and gauge interest in the job. As far as KHJ goes, it is an unknown as to how successful she can be here at UT. But lets look at what we do know, she was the head coach at a mid major school recruiting 2* & 3* players. She was able to coach them up and make it to the sweet sixteen in the NCAAW tourny. CHW had mostly 5* athletes that regressed thru the season under her leadership and received a sympathy bid to the tourny and was knocked out in the first game. As of right now I will gladly take the overachieving coach over the underachieving coach.

For you that are so upset because your chosen one wasn't the one, take a hike and stop your bellyaching......

Kellie is the new coach...Deal with it and stop being such a pain in our butts....

Dejavu from when Holly was hired. Turns out those bellyachers were dead on.

I will support KJH, she wasn't even close to my top choice, but clearly I don't get to choose lol. I do think her tenure should be approached with caution and her time at UT should be very dependent on whether or not she wins. Two poor seasons and she should be out. Fulmer let Holly stick around way too long and it cost us. I suspect that's why no top coaches were interested, they didn't want to try to put out that dumpster fire and start over. I am glad KJH has the courage to give it a shot.

I hope that most of the players stay, she can instill some confidence in them and require that they play defense or they wont see the floor. If she is able to do that, we should win a lot of games.

The unfortunate truth is it is easier to be a pessimist. If you forecast gloom and doom and doom arrives then you can say “told you so” and you aren’t as disappointed. If the sun ends up coming out then you can be pleasantly surprised. I am not throwing shade at anyone as I am a long time Cubs fan and for the vast majority of that time being pessimistic was the only way to maintain one’s sanity.
But in this situation, I would encourage at least cautious optimism. Many of the pieces we need are in place here. We have a young coach who is on the upswing. Who on here was not better at their profession at 40 than 30? She had a team that played hard for her. Getting the kids buy in is a big accomplishment. We have a team that is as talented as any in the country! We have a stellar recruiting class to add to that. We have a fan base that can be the best in the sport. Contrary to what some think we have an AD who is committed to the Lady Vols. All you need to do is hear PF talk about Pat and you know her legacy is important to him.
I am truly excited about this reboot and although there will undoubtedly be rough patches think our future looks bright.

Kelly succeeded Kay Yow at a premier program. Had the best season in year one with Yow's players, then went straight downhill after that. Recruited poorly and finished 23-39 in ACC play - fired after 4 years. At a place with a winning tradition. Why do you lie?
You do know, don't you, that the NC State team (with Kay Yow's players, who co-incidentally were coached by Kellie Harper the next year) had a overall record of 13-17 and 5-9 in the ACC in 2008-9 and the year before while they were 21-13 overall, they had a 6-8 ACC record.

The slide at NC State started before Kellie Harper was hired and was only exascerbated by the general problems within the athletic department. And before you remind me that Kay Yow was going through her health problems at the time, let me remind you that (who everyone seemed to assume was) her expected successor, Stephanie Glance, was on the staff at that time and couldn't rally the troops.

Maybe it's time to forget about the past and give Coach Harper a chance to show what she can do with the Tennessee Lady Vols.

Jim

VN Store

Back