Kellie Harper discussion/debate thread [merged]

Can bash Holly “LVFL” don’t say a word about Kellie “LVFL” because you’re deemed a “troll” or “hater”

Confusing times to be a fan based on those likes
Holly was awful. Wonderful person, but a terrible head coach. Her Idea of offense was, well she didn't have an idea. Harper is one of 2 coaches that has taken 4 teams to the NCAA tournament not to mention has been in the conversation for national coach of the year both last year and again this year. She isn't going anywhere anytime soon. Hey, Vic and Jeff Walz teams both lost to unranked teams today. With the attitude of this thread, they should be fired too. At least if we are losing, we are losing to highly-ranked opponents. Tennessee is about to win this Tournament in the Bahamas so maybe that will quiet the trolls and haters that talk all this non-sense.

Holly was awful. Wonderful person, but a terrible head coach. Her Idea of offense was, well she didn't have an idea. Harper is one of 2 coaches that has taken 4 teams to the NCAA tournament not to mention has been in the conversation for national coach of the year both last year and again this year. She isn't going anywhere anytime soon. Hey, Vic and Jeff Walz teams both lost to unranked teams today. With the attitude of this thread, they should be fired too. At least if we are losing, we are losing to highly-ranked opponents. Tennessee is about to win this Tournament in the Bahamas so maybe that will quiet the trolls and haters that talk all this non-sense.
She’s also a coach to take 4 teams to not make it past the Sweet 16. Great history to be part of but expectations should be bigger. Is it trolling if it’s been true to this point? Hope they do bring it home.

1-0. Just focus on the next one…

That escalated quickly lol when it comes to UT winning the tournament that’s a Lie 🤣

This didn't age well. Sorry she ain't it. It could be next year. It could be in 3 years. It just isn't going to work.

Reactions: BowlBrother85
Making the tournament every year is fine for a men’s basketball coach here. But the bar is higher in the program that Pat Summitt built. Holly made the tournament every year and she got fired. The Lady Vols don’t hang banners for anything less than a Final Four.

Making the tournament every year is fine for a men’s basketball coach here. But the bar is higher in the program that Pat Summitt built. Holly made the tournament every year and she got fired. The Lady Vols don’t hang banners for anything less than a Final Four.

Amen

And this university takes precedent over athlete, coach, fan for me.
My tie is to Tennessee first, as I was a fan of this program long before anyone, here, got here.
I am not impressed right now

irobot-will-smith.gif

a reality check — the number #1 player is going to USCali. That didn’t happen 10 years ago…. You went to the top 5 schools and that was it.
aside from UCONN and USCarolina — the top 100 recruits are going all over the place.

Reactions: mudcat1973
Sounds like you personally despise Fulmer. Pursuing your own agenda here? Here's the exact quote:

“I was a bit in the mindset of, ‘We need to find the best coach. Male, female, Lady Vol, not, just whoever is going to be the best at this moment,’ ” Fulmer said. “I’m telling you, it became very clear to me as the interview process started that we had our choice in the country of coaches to talk to.

“As we went through a grinding process — and our staff did a grinding search — it became clear that a Lady Vol would be really great,” he added. “Then Kellie knocked it [her interview] out of the park.”

Sounds to me a lot different than your take: He said he DID conduct a thorough search of the best candidates and concluded that Harper was the best candidate he could find. Now, maybe he was lying there. I don't know. Unlike so many on this board, I don't read minds. But what he said clearly does not support you and others narrative that 'Fulmer confessed to hiring a lesser candidate just because she was a LVFL.'

Fact is Fulmer was a lousy AD. Kellie is to basketball as Cone head was to football. Neither of them should be a head coach at a P5 university. Kellie had now failed twice as a head coach at a P5 university. It is time to move on and give hope for the future. Fire KJH..!!

a reality check — the number #1 player is going to USCali. That didn’t happen 10 years ago…. You went to the top 5 schools and that was it.
aside from UCONN and USCarolina — the top 100 recruits are going all over the place.
The increased parity in women's college basketball shouldn't serve as an excuse for Tennessee's current level of mediocrity.

I don't want to argue with the posters who insist that Kellie Harper is a good coach, but I will argue with anyone who tries to say that she is the best women's basketball head coach that Tennessee could possibly hire, if they were willing to spend the money and expand the pool of candidates beyond just female coaches and former Lady Vol players.

Fact is Fulmer was a lousy AD. Kellie is to basketball as Cone head was to football. Neither of them should be a head coach at a P5 university. Kellie had now failed twice as a head coach at a P5 university. It is time to move on and give hope for the future. Fire KJH..!!
At the press conference introducing her as the next head coach at Tennessee, Fulmer cited the fact that Kellie Jolly Harper was on 3 of Pat Summitt's National Championship teams, as a factor in why she was hired.

Apparently, the fact that she had previously been fired from NC State was never factored into the equation. Fulmer also acknowledged that, in spite of some public angling for a raise that Jeff Walz of Louisville had done, nobody else was ever considered. She was his first choice. Why? Just because she was successful as a player 20 years earlier? An athletic director at Tennessee should be more ambitious than that when hiring a women's basketball coach.

She has earned at least another 1-2 years.

I don't believe Danny White will let Kelly prolong the misery any longer than necessary.
The question is when does necessary become a specific time. During the season or at the end ? I think we let her finish it out then make a decision . Firing her during the season won't make anything better , were doomed.

VN Store

Back