Justin Wilcox emerges as candidate for Arizona State HC job

There could be some reason as to why you wouldn't want that out unless your pretty sure your leaving. I have no idea if its true, but I remember some cases where they tried to keep it under wraps.

To me, you just refuse to comment in that situation.

The biggest reason to keep it under wraps is recruiting. I will wish him the very best if he gets this job but he doesnt need to be broadcasting his interest until the moment he accepts the offer. It would be used heavily against us. The next week is huge with all the jc ee guys we stand to get.

That was where I was going with it. If it was to get out early and he didn't accept you have questions to answer going forward that you don't want.

I hope its false info and it doesn't happen. If the staff has a chance to make it next year they need him to stay.

To me, you just refuse to comment in that situation.

Fair or not refusing to comment means truth to most people. Saying I havnt been contacted could be the truth or hiding behind your agent either way i am glad he put that out there.

You could, but VN would have him packing his bags right after he said it.:)

Haha. What I was meaning is that I wouldn't release information to anyone. I wouldn't give Wes Rucker a statement of any kind about it nor tell anyone who could potentially tell Wes Rucker anything.

Not sure why ASU would be interested in Wilcox anyway. I like the guy, but who ever heard of defense in the PAC 12? :whistling:

Last edited:
Haha. What I was meaning is that I wouldn't release information to anyone. I wouldn't give Wes Rucker a statement of any kind about it nor tell anyone who could potentially tell Wes Rucker anything.

Yeah, Id run from it as long as i could.

If he said that that means he knows he isnt getting the job. He would take it without question if it was offered IMO.

Or its simply a smoke screen. Coaches say that all of the time and still end up taking the job. I hope that's not the case with Wilcox however.

Or its simply a smoke screen. Coaches say that all of the time and still end up taking the job. I hope that's not the case with Wilcox however.

True, but right before jobs are filled, you will see the candidates that didnt get it pull their name out the running. Its very common more so that the Saban approach.

Aside from everything else, why would he not take the texas job last year when clearly it is thought of as one of the best/easiest jobs in college football? If he does better than good, he ends up HC once Brown leaves, which isn't too far off.

Could be, he also said he was excited about the young talent we had coming in.

I agree he may be excited about the talent coming in but he must also be thinking next year could be his last here if we do not improve in the win loss column.

I still have to believe if he is offered a HC position he would take it.

VN Store

Back