Justin Wilcox emerges as candidate for Arizona State HC job

Lets see, they fired Mike Stoops who was known as a pretty darn good DC before they ever hired him and it didn't work out, so now their wanting to go out and perhaps hire another DC and give him a try as a HC

I would think ASU may also have someone with previous HC experience in mind as well, but if they offer Wilcox, a person couldn't really fault him for accepting it and being able to provide a better life for his family

Lets see, they fired Mike Stoops who was known as a pretty darn good DC before they ever hired him and it didn't work out, so now their wanting to go out and perhaps hire another DC and give him a try as a HC

I would think ASU may also have someone with previous HC experience in mind as well, but if they offer Wilcox, a person couldn't really fault him for accepting it and being able to provide a better life for his family

Mike Stoops was at the University of Arizona, which is NOT Arizona State. Thanks for playing though.

Reactions: 1 person
I hope ASU gets Wilcox. He isn't an SEC-caliber defensive coordinator. That won't make any difference in the PAC-12 because nobody plays defense in the PAC-12.

I hope ASU gets Wilcox. He isn't an SEC-caliber defensive coordinator.

wuqn2x.gif

Reactions: 4 people
This is the latest:

Multiple sources close to the UT program said Wilcox would be open to listening to Arizona State if it called — “he’d be crazy not to,” one of them said — but a source close to Wilcox said the coach was happy in Knoxville and wasn’t eagerly looking to leave any time soon unless the right opportunity presented itself.

So, once again, OrangeBlazer is either misinformed or is lying.

One of the Top candidates being considered already has previous experience with the Sun Devils...

Today---

"Mark Helfrich - Offensive Coordinator of Oregon
Another offensive coordinator from a top program, Helfrich could be a good fit in Tempe.
Helfrich served on Dirk Koetter's staff for four seasons at Arizona State before moving to Colorado and then ultimately Oregon. He has great recruiting ties in the west and runs a spread offense that would fit in very easily in Tempe.
With no head coaching experience, he'd carry with him the same risk as the above two candidates, but at 37, he's already accomplished and has his best days ahead of him."
-Brad Denny
@BDenny29 for the latest news and insight into ASU's coaching search

I have a friend at ASU who texted me tonight saying that tadios there are saying its down to Helfrich and Wilcox

If Wilcox goes to ASU. it will be the graveyard of his HC career. If he can really turn this Defense around in the next two years, he will be able to get any job he wants that's available. IMO

If Wilcox goes to ASU. it will be the graveyard of his HC career. If he can really turn this Defense around in the next two years, he will be able to get any job he wants that's available. IMO

I totally agree. Just wonder if he sees it this way. He's young and has the chance to really mature his defensive skills in the SEC. If he can do it here then he'll have a chance to really prove to anyone that he can. He can also really build the relationships in the this recruiting bed that he will need to succeed too. Hope he sees it this way but only he knows what he thinks is best for him.

Some of us may be bias cause we really need him to solidify the foundation that we need to get back on top. Just hope he has enough orange in him to see it the same way some of us do.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Reactions: 2 people
Some of us may be bias cause we really need him to solidify the foundation that we need to get back on top. Just hope he has enough orange in him to see it the same way some of us do.

I think you may have nailed it with that last part. He'd be insane to turn down the ASU job if offered.

I think you may have nailed it with that last part. He'd be insane to turn down the ASU job if offered.

You think that if he didn't take this chance he'd be risking to much, because UT might bring him down if we can't get out of the gutter? From what I'm understanding ASU might be in pretty bad shape, and could do the same to him if he does take it. Tough call for sure though.

You think that if he didn't take this chance he'd be risking to much, because UT might bring him down if we can't get out of the gutter? From what I'm understanding ASU might be in pretty bad shape, and could do the same to him if he does take it. Tough call for sure though.

JW would be insane to turn this job down if offered. Proven Coordinators can afford to turn down jobs like this because they know the next better is very likely to follow. If Arizona State is crazy enough to offer he will take it without any deliberation IMO.

JW would be insane to turn this job down if offered. Proven Coordinators can afford to turn down jobs like this because they know the next better is very likely to follow. If Arizona State is crazy enough to offer he will take it without any deliberation IMO.

Why? What is so attractive about ASU?

Poor LawVol13 really REALLY wants Wilcox to leave.

he's licking his chops to bash dooley some more.

Reactions: 2 people
Why? What is so attractive about ASU?

The Kirby Smarts of the world can be picky because that better job is likely around the corner. JW is very different. If Tenn loses next year he is knocked down significantly. If they win next year even then there is no guarantee a job like ASU will be out there. He is a Pac 10 guy by all accounts and I think he is in a no doubt spot if offered.

Like Muschamp was crazy not to take the job here?

Taking the wrong job can cripple your career if you want to be a HC at a major program. Wilcox turns UT into a elite defense, he'll be mentioned for major jobs like Smart at Bama is. I like Wilcox and think he will be a successful HC but not at ASU. He would be insane to take that job.

Like Muschamp was crazy not to take the job here?

Taking the wrong job can cripple your career if you want to be a HC at a major program. Wilcox turns UT into a elite defense, he'll be mentioned for major jobs like Smart at Bama is. I like Wilcox and think he will be a successful HC but not at ASU. He would be insane to take that job.

Thats a very valid point imho!! He obviously turned down the Tejas DC job last year due to the writing on the wall there. Going into year 3 of a rebuild with UT and finally getting the talent he needs to run his scheme, I could see JW finishing the job here, improving his resume, and opening the door for an even better opportunity than ASU down the road!
I really hope he stays around for a few more years tho!

VN Store

Back