Justin Wilcox emerges as candidate for Arizona State HC job

Like Muschamp was crazy not to take the job here?

Taking the wrong job can cripple your career if you want to be a HC at a major program. Wilcox turns UT into a elite defense, he'll be mentioned for major jobs like Smart at Bama is. I like Wilcox and think he will be a successful HC but not at ASU. He would be insane to take that job.

Are you really saying that Muschamp and Wilcox have similar resumes and opportunities? You are making my point for me. Muschamp/Smart amongst others are holding the trump card of a resume full of success. Wilcox is short on resume but high on reputation. That reputation would be severely damaged if next year went south.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

wuqn2x.gif

Love the AD avatar. 2nd best TV show of all-time, IMO. Right behind Andy Griffith.

Are you really saying that Muschamp and Wilcox have similar resumes and opportunities? You are making my point for me. Muschamp/Smart amongst others are holding the trump card of a resume full of success. Wilcox is short on resume but high on reputation. That reputation would be severely damaged if next year went south.

Wilcox's reputation isn't necessarily tied to Dooley. Most people can see the defense made strides even if the team as a whole struggled. Wilcox will have more talent and experience next year. If we do get some offensive consistency, we will have a top ten defense in the nation.

Wilcox's reputation isn't necessarily tied to Dooley. Most people can see the defense made strides even if the team as a whole struggled. Wilcox will have more talent and experience next year. If we do get some offensive consistency, we will have a top ten defense in the nation.

For now I agree very much with what you say here but JW isn't anywhere close when comparing him to other sought after coordinators. JW would be very much connected to DD after another year win or lose. That's why he can't afford to turn down BCS head coaching job. Sure he could get a better job down the road but I would say he is 2 good years away from that being a strong possibility. With the questions that we all should have about this staffs ability to win that is a huge risk. Taking that gamble would be as crazy as hitting 16 against a dealer showing a 6 in blackjack.

Regardless of the percentage of hot women there actually are at ASU, the point is this thread has turned into what it should....a discussion about women. NICE!

Can we make a "best of" girls thread for the summer?

We can do it regardless of school, just the best we can find.

Just what is so great about Muschamp's resume?

My best friends brother-in-law played baseball there. When we talked college experiences one-time he made it very clear we should, under no circumstances, let our future daughter go to Arizona St. The other stories are a little too much for a sports forum...

Smart isn't so smart, IMO. He certainly is not the engine that makes that defense go. Maybe he knows this and that is why he is reluctant to leave and be exposed vs. playing his cards for the uber job? Muschamp looked in over his head this year and very average. They have better talent than we do collectively and their program is really no further ahead of ours right now. I could see Muschamp crashing and burning at UF in a couple of years because they won't put up with being average down there knowing what they know after Spurrier. He won't get another HC gig at a major program if that happens without taking the proverbial step back at a lesser school or going back the coordinator route.

Let's reserve judgment on Smart/Bama until next year when they replace all their secondary players and 3/4 of their LBs along with Chapman and whoever else leaves early. I'll go on record now saying they will be a hell of a lot easier to move the ball on in 2012.

His resume couldn't be any better as a coordinator. Multiple years as a DC on a number of VERY successful teams working under GREAT coaches at the HIGHEST level of college fb and he was also named the HC in waiting at arguably the best job in college fb. For anybody to claim JW has done anything even on the same planet as WM is beyond reality.

His resume couldn't be any better as a coordinator. Multiple years as a DC on a number of VERY successful teams working under GREAT coaches at the HIGHEST level of college fb and he was also named the HC in waiting at arguably the best job in college fb. For anybody to claim JW has done anything even on the same planet as WM is beyond reality.

I just don't recall his defense at TX being world beaters even with all of the talent at his disposal. Yes he has been in some very good programs but without looking up stats, he dosn't seem too impressive. I was relieved when he passed on our HC position (if he was offered).

Reactions: 1 person
I just don't recall his defense at TX being world beaters even with all of the talent at his disposal. Yes he has been in some very good programs but without looking up stats, he dosn't seem too impressive. I was relieved when he passed on our HC position (if he was offered).

Most people(not saying you) if they are being honest would tell you WM would have been a home run hire when DD was hired. I for one would have been very pleased. Now after watching his first year as a HC its easy for us to forget his reputation then.

Reactions: 1 person
JW would be insane to turn this job down if offered. Proven Coordinators can afford to turn down jobs like this because they know the next better is very likely to follow. If Arizona State is crazy enough to offer he will take it without any deliberation IMO.

Bruin...I see ur side of the argument and its valid for sure. I think there are 2 real credible arguments on here about how he should handle it. I'm in the camp that thinks it would be best he stay and really get his defensive schemes in order. I may be looking at it from my point of view cause I'm the type of person that likes to finish the job and know that I conquered the situation I'm in before move to the next step.

At the end of the day we aren't him and know one (that I can tell) on here knows him to see what he would do or how he looks at things. I hope he stays for a couple more yrs but that's just wishful thinking.

Bruin...I see ur side of the argument and its valid for sure. I think there are 2 real credible arguments on here about how he should handle it. I'm in the camp that thinks it would be best he stay and really get his defensive schemes in order. I may be looking at it from my point of view cause I'm the type of person that likes to finish the job and know that I conquered the situation I'm in before move to the next step.

At the end of the day we aren't him and know one (that I can tell) on here knows him to see what he would do or how he looks at things. I hope he stays for a couple more yrs but that's just wishful thinking.

Good post.

I think we are going to fine for next year unless something happens with Peterson. This will happen next year to a bigger degree if we have a good year.

@PaulCalvisi: ASU Update: Source tells me tonight to "expect next ASU Head Coach to have HC experience. No coordinators.." That's per Patterson directive

per (ASU blog) House of Sparky

VN Store

Back