Just looking through the Fire Pruitt....

Just looking through these threads on here from a few short weeks ago...do we think that knee jerk/emotional reactions are a bit STUPID?!?!?
I'm not in either boat, but is it knee jerk reaction that as soon it looks like the ship has righted to start a thread that the fire pruitt people are stupid. I'm a wait and see kinda guy.

Reactions: 08Vol
There is a lot a crow being served a lot of ways. Fried crow, baked crow, crow gumbo, crow a la mode....
I've had to eat a little too. I have not once wanted Pruitt gone but I mouthed off a lot about some of Guarantano’s bonehead moves but the fact is w/o him we would be in bad shape right now and Pruitt might have been as well.

Reactions: Remy
Yes... and even now, it's hard not to lament those first two games. The 8-4 optimism really wasn't so ridiculous. It should have happened.
Excellent point. Really, 9-3 would be a very real possibility at this point with the way MO is playing. I’m not saying we will for sure beat them but that certainly isn’t a sure loss. I guarantee there isn’t a single poster on here that predicted how this season has played out with the 0-2 start and then beat Miss St, SC, and KY.

We beat Kentucky. It's what we do. I'll say what I say after every win this year, we have improved greatly because we started so badly. We shouldn't have had to improve that much and even with that improvement we barely beat a team we own who can't throw the football. People can still rightly point to GSU and BYU as major coaching blunders in the grand scheme of things and also acknowledge that things have gotten better. If we can get to 7-5 that's probably only 1 less win and 1 more loss than we should have had this year, though with how the SEC East has been a wreck and we got a horrid MSU from the West, 9 wins probably should have happened this year.
We are at last not one of the worse teams in the sec. Ky., USCe, Arkansas,Vandy, ms. St., ole miss take those honors now, so it is improvement. But looking at it the sec has a lot of bad to mediocre teams. LSU, Ga. Bama, maybe Fla. and Auburn are the best. Tx am is decent but the rest are average at best, but heck average for UT is a big improvement. Just win the next two and improve recruiting from it’s dismal ranking and we can get optimistic about the future.

I'm not in either boat, but is it knee jerk reaction that as soon it looks like the ship has righted to start a thread that the fire pruitt people are stupid. I'm a wait and see kinda guy.
We absolutely have to wait and see. Next year is going to be huge because now this team has shown that they are for sure capable of winning conference games. We did win last night and winnng ugly counts the same as winning big but the facts are that we weren’t ready to play that game and played stupid, undisciplined football. In game 10 almost every bit of that is on the coaches. Losing to any nonconference opponent outside of OU definitely won’t fly next year. It won’t shock me at all if almost everyone expects this team to win one of the big 4 games next year. If we go 7-5 or worse next year I could see the seat warming a least a little regardless of the schedule and especially if we end up 7-5 this year.

Best thing to do after a close, come from behind win is to review who said bad things about the coach weeks ago after losing games they should have won.

There is a lot a crow being served a lot of ways. Fried crow, baked crow, crow gumbo, crow a la mode....
I've had to eat a little too. I have not once wanted Pruitt gone but I mouthed off a lot about some of Guarantano’s bonehead moves but the fact is w/o him we would be in bad shape right now and Pruitt might have been as well.

I'm here as well. I was not on the "fahr Pruitt" bandwagon until 0-2 and that last minute loss to BYU. I WAS on it then, and have gotten off of it shortly thereafter. I mentioned in another thread if we end up 7-5, we were really supposed to be a 9-3 having lost to Ga St and BYU which should have been wins.

Just looking through these threads on here from a few short weeks ago...do we think that knee jerk/emotional reactions are a bit STUPID?!?!?
He ain’t even bowl eligible yet. oh, had he not f’d up the beginning of the season they would be, and could be on pace for an epic turnaround.

King Knee Jerk.

Those first two games hurt and I doubt there is one person that is okay with it. But that's the type of thing that can happen with a first time head coach and especially inheriting what he did. Its not an excuse and it doesn't make it better, that's just part of it.

I remember seeing a bunch of posts saying "just win". No buts, just win. Until we're not, that's what we're doing.

The reactions to the Georgia State defeat, my own included, were not stupid. This staff had months to prepare and failed to have this football team ready mentally and physically to compete.

This being said, my expectations were for 7-5 and a bowl to demonstrate improvement for our current, future, and potential players to buy into. Pruitt got this ship righted and as it stands now deserves credit for that. Seeing Arkansas right now, things could've been much, much worse.

The reaction that was truly ignorant came from those who believed the Butch Jones-recruited players needed to be driven out before this team could improve.

The truth was that our upperclassmen needed to be a part of this and lead the younger players in the cause. A proper foundation begins with people like Bituli, Smith, Jennings, and even GTNO leading Pruitt's recruits by word and example. You aren't going to complete a rebuilding job without the guys you inherited playing leading roles in the effort.

Tennessee is 5-5 and looks like they are completely sold on what this head coach is doing. Credit goes to Pruitt and I hope this team continues to grow in the second year of rebuilding.

Think we have to fire Pruitt now. He said resiliency in his post game press conference. Next week we will likely have the turnover trash can.

Reactions: VolInNW
What sucks is we should be 7-3 right now with a potential 9 or 10 win season (with a bowl win) staring us in the face in Year 2. We all would have a different perspective of the rebuild if that was the case. Nonetheless, we need to finish the season on the right note. Hopefully we will learn from last year.

First 6 weeks of the season, basically unwatchable. Next 4 weeks, I got a game to watch on Saturday. Rest of the season, I can look forward to a competitive game each weekend. Team is playing as hard as it can and playing as a team. Coaches are putting them in a position to win. This is all I can ask for at this point.

Have we turned the corner, no. To me its more like we just woke up from a 17 year coma. Will take a while to get to full strength but at least we are conscious!

Point is, Pruitt had them in position to beat GAST and BYU. The defense played on skates against GaSt. And as close as the BYU game was. We had them beat if Taylor didn't fall down allowing the wr to get in fg range for OT. The players are executing now. They wasn't earlier on

Actually literally no. Lest you forget, our defense was literally (again) unable to even line up correctly.

Pruitt and staff have really turned it up as the season has progressed, but we were in no way ready to play when the season started.

Reactions: 08Vol and KingtUT
If you can't see we were staring 1-11 in the face after GSU and byu, I can't help you. Sure Pruitt gets credit for turning this around. But no one should be harrassed for questioning his coaching after the first 3 games.
You're making my point. He and this team could have folded like a cheap tent and didn't. I just didn't get why you want to keep bringing up a loss 10 weeks ago on a night that we won our 3rd consecutive SEC game. It's all good man, BVS is real. I suffer tremendously from it, but let's be glad the future appears brighter than 1-11 it could have been. Go Vols!

Hindsight is 20/20. There was plenty of reason for Pruitt catching heat.

Still no excuse for an SEC team, esp. this UT team, for losing to Ga State. That is on him.

Reactions: lifeisdeep
You're making my point. He and this team could have folded like a cheap tent and didn't. I just didn't get why you want to keep bringing up a loss 10 weeks ago on a night that we won our 3rd consecutive SEC game. It's all good man, BVS is real. I suffer tremendously from it, but let's be glad the future appears brighter than 1-11 it could have been. Go Vols!

The reason that is happening is because the OP brought up posts from 10 weeks ago when he created the thread.

VN Store

Back