Just heard on the radio that Larry Slade will likely be canned

There's no doubt about that. Now the misses are more magnified. Either way, a guy that would have been our 3rd receiver in 1989 is now in many cases starting at Troy, UAB etc.
A part of that equation that nobody talks about is the proliferation of television. The hypothetical WR you're talking about, who used to be forced to come to UT and compete in order to get on TV, now can go to Florida Atlantic and play in the only televised game in the country on a Wednesday night.

A part of that equation that nobody talks about is the proliferation of television. The hypothetical WR you're talking about, who used to be forced to come to UT and compete in order to get on TV, now can go to Florida Atlantic and play in the only televised game in the country on a Wednesday night.

Yep . . . Like it or not there's a new reality in college football where the talent is dilluted and schools that never could compete before can scare the daylights out of the big guys consistently. 10-15 years ago nobody would have a clue what color the turf was in Boise . . . Last week they won the Fiesta Bowl.

the talent gap between top and bottom schools gets smaller every year because more talent is coming out then ever. There very well could be starting recievers for those teams who could have been our 3rd guy back then.

If talent is getting diluted, that means that coaches that have the ability to coach up players are at a premium.

Tennessee doesn't coach up players anymore. Thus... our current situation.

Im not going to read through the entire thread but the first 2 pages all said "about time."
I agree that in the past, we have been terrible in the secondary. The funny thing is, we have put several DBs into the league. That tells me that it is the defensive scheme. Trust me guys, I have yelled and screamed more than anyone about how our guys constantly give up the quick slant, the hitch route, the tight end seam route, and the quick out. HOWEVER, the secondary was the STRENGTH of our team last year. BY FAR.

You must listen to the radio broadcast, b/c there is NO way you watched the games and made that comment.

Wade got burnt one whole game. Was it Ark? had the Wr with broken ribs? There was another team that picked on wade the whole game. He played so far off the man trying to get the int he gets burn most of the time

Wade got burnt one whole game. Was it Ark? had the Wr with broken ribs?

Yup. Monk killed him that game even though he was obviously hurt. When you are playing against someone that is six inches taller then you, you have to be technically sound. Wade wasnt...he got by on athletic talent and speed more then skill. It got him in trouble the Arkansas game. But it wasnt all his fault...for reasons unknown to man we wouldnt double Monk.

Yup. Monk killed him that game even though he was obviously hurt. When you are playing against someone that is six inches taller then you, you have to be technically sound. Wade wasnt...he got by on athletic talent and speed more then skill. It got him in trouble the Arkansas game. But it wasnt all his fault...for reasons unknown to man we wouldnt double Monk.

For the same reason we didn"t double Alex Brown in the Florida game in 1999.......coaching!!:bash:

Tennessean reporting UT to land Berry plus three other players playing in the Army All-Star Game.

If Marcus Monk's ribs were hurting (and its obvious that he's the only WR they have) thats when you put a CB in his face on the line, when he comes off you do a little dirty punch in the ribs and get physical with him and have a saftey shade incase he gets away.

You might say. "Oh thats classless that's dirty" So be it this is football not tiddly winks. This is what I'm talking about Chavis has the same exact scheme come hell or high water. They never deviate from the "Mustang" norm.

I live here in NWA and follow the Razorbacks in the local media, and I didn't hear anything about him being banged up prior to the game.

Watching him at the game he didn't seem bothered.

If Marcus Monk's ribs were hurting (and its obvious that he's the only WR they have) thats when you put a CB in his face on the line, when he comes off you do a little dirty punch in the ribs and get physical with him and have a saftey shade incase he gets away.

You might say. "Oh thats classless that's dirty" So be it this is football not tiddly winks. This is what I'm talking about Chavis has the same exact scheme come hell or high water. They never deviate from the "Mustang" norm.

They occasionally run that goofy "prowler" set with the down linemen standing up......embarrasing to most Vol fans.

The DBs are the last line of defense and they need to be able to stick like glue...we haven't been doing that...hope our new DB coach is an in-their-face style coach.

They occasionally run that goofy "prowler" set with the down linemen standing up......embarrasing to most Vol fans.

The Prowler defense was largely responsible for our win against Florida in 2001. It got exploited by Clemson's fumblerooski, though. I don't mind the Prower, it's creative and different. I like to pull it out every now and then. The QB can't figure out who will be rushing him and from where.

The DBs are the last line of defense and they need to be able to stick like glue...we haven't been doing that...hope our new DB coach is an in-their-face style coach.

The new coaches first task...

TACKLING 101..
- wrap up
- drive through the player

UT is 29th in yds/game pass defense

58th in pass efficiency yds/play

this was probably slade's best year as secondary coach

UT is 29th in yds/game pass defense

58th in pass efficiency yds/play

this was probably slade's best year as secondary coach

That was in most part due to the weak rush defense. Numbers are decieving. It was obvious that our defensive backfield didn't know what to do most of the time and couldn't tackle. (except Hefney)

That was in most part due to the weak rush defense. Numbers are decieving. It was obvious that our defensive backfield didn't know what to do most of the time and couldn't tackle. (except Hefney)

UT had the no.2 rush defense in 2005 (a great pass rush) and if I remember correctly UT was 37th in pass defense (yds/game). They had a great pass rush then, didn't help.

If your getting rid of Slade, how's roper still hanging on?

I think Roper being hired as RB coach was a surprise to most. Kentucky is not the team most would want to trade assistants with. Rumor was Cutcliffe worked with Roper at Ole Miss before and liked him.

VN Store

Back