Just heard on the radio that Larry Slade will likely be canned

Tell me again why it's the DB coach's fault that both our lines are putrid?

Let's all remember the last DB coach we ran out of town, with the masses saying he was terrible. What ever happened to that guy? Did he ever get another job?

I think the DB's look bad more because of Chavis' system of bend don't break but I don't think Slade was fit for the job.

Our DB's continue to not be able to tackle and can't shut down one guy when need be. (Marcus Monk, Dalas Baker) DB's looked confused. Isn't that Slade's job to let them know their part in the Defensive backfield.

I know the pass rush attributes to that but it was time for Slade to go. Need someone young and entergetic.

hatvol, do you play "devils advocate" on every subject presented to you? just wondering...not trying to be a wise guy.

I find this to be very interesting. I think that the DBs were definitely the weak spot in the defense last year (05), and I have been less than pleased with the progress of Hefney, Morely, and Wade. All three have more potential than their production would indicate.

They were not the problem this year, however.

Actually this was a good year for the Secondary. Most of the big plays on defense were made by Wade or Heffeny. Secondary has had worst years than this and he has kept his job. :question:

The reason the numbers look good is because teams didn't have to pass on Tennessee. Why pass when you can lineup and bulldoze and kill clock?

If teams had to lineup and pass against us it would be a whole different story.

hatvol, do you play "devils advocate" on every subject presented to you? just wondering...not trying to be a wise guy.
Not on this subject. I find this to be a coach with dwindling popularity tossing another longtime assistant under the bus in an attempt to deflect ire from the most culpable party.

Not on this subject. I find this to be a coach with dwindling popularity tossing another longtime assistant under the bus in an attempt to deflect ire from the most culpable party.

I see what you're saying. I also agree. I still don't think he fit the bill.

But I mean, I'm listenng to Sports Animal and I havent heard anything. So this is all spectulation at the moment.

Giving up 60 more ypg rushing than last year would tend to make our secondary look more effective on a per game basis since we gave up 30 ypg less passing compared to last year.

However, how many 3rd and longs did the secondary give up this year? I know this was a major point of complaint this year and points to the secondary as a result. The D-Line plays a part in it as well by not being able to get pressure on the QB, but the coverage was lacking regardless imho.

I know that Slade was rumored to be on the chopping block last year. I did not think his secondary was bad this season, especially considering that a full half (Fellows and Johnson) of his starting unit were missing due to injury.

That being said, I don't know if the guy is a good coach or not. He has certainly taken a lot of heat over the years. I do not, however, think this is a case of
a coach with dwindling popularity tossing another longtime assistant under the bus in an attempt to deflect ire from the most culpable party.

Fulmer just isn't getting that much heat, either on himself or to make changes in his staff. It is also inconsistent with the guy who has made a habit of promoting from within.

One question I found in looking at our Assistants' bios: is it normal to have both a DE coach and a DL coach (Caldwell and Brooks,) especially considering we have no Special Teams coach? This seems an odd set-up to me.

Giving up 60 more ypg rushing than last year would tend to make our secondary look more effective on a per game basis since we gave up 30 ypg less passing compared to last year.

However, how many 3rd and longs did the secondary give up this year? I know this was a major point of complaint this year and points to the secondary as a result. The D-Line plays a part in it as well by not being able to get pressure on the QB, but the coverage was lacking regardless imho.

My thoughts are very similar. UT has given up more big pass plays thrown with a "prayer" in the last few years than I care to remember. Carolina did it all game this year, and Bama and Vandy did it last year. Those are the kind of plays that you just have to scratch your head and wonder.

On a side note, on the offensive side of the ball, UT rarely just throw the ball down field and let the receiver simply go after the ball. That pisses me off as much or more.

Anyway, the bottom line is this, Slade is certainly getting thrown under the bus. It is just another example of unsavory decisions made by the man at the helm. It is not Slade's fault that UT simply has no talent on the offensive or defensive line, but I do believe we could benefit from a change in coach in the defensive backfield.

But you know, if you hang around on staff long enough with CPF, he will eventually make you a target. So Slade is not blameless in the situation either.

I know that Slade was rumored to be on the chopping block last year. I did not think his secondary was bad this season, especially considering that a full half (Fellows and Johnson) of his starting unit were missing due to injury.

That being said, I don't know if the guy is a good coach or not. He has certainly taken a lot of heat over the years. I do not, however, think this is a case of

Fulmer just isn't getting that much heat, either on himself or to make changes in his staff. It is also inconsistent with the guy who has made a habit of promoting from within.
Where did he promote Randy Sanders, Pat Washington, and Jimmy Ray Stephens to?

Where did he promote Randy Sanders, Pat Washington, and Jimmy Ray Stephens to?

He promoted Sanders to Offensive Coordiator, a post he held for 5.5 years until he resigned, albeit under the probability that he would be fired after the year.

I do not know the histories of Washington and Stephens well enough to comment on their careers, other than their dismissal after last season. Having seen the improvement in the receiving corps this year, however, I can't say that the Washington move was a bad one.

VN Store

Back