'22 JUCO CB Keionte Scott

“When I was on the phone with them, they told me that they had been communicating, getting a background check for, like, two months,” said Scott, who was named a first-team All-American by the National Junior College Athletic Association following his freshman season earlier this year.

“It was something that I was on their board for a long time, and they were just doing all their background to make sure everything checked out. And then I was able to get the call, so that was great.”

A San Diego native, Scott said Tennessee is one of at least three schools he’s strongly considering at the moment, along with Oregon and Washington. He said he’s hoping to take official visits to those three schools, too.

“I’m open right now,” he said. “But those three schools are super high on my radar.”

The Vols have mentioned to Scott that they could use some experience at cornerback, with two of their top cornerbacks — Alontae Taylor and Kenneth George Jr. — currently being seniors.

“They mentioned that they were graduating (cornerbacks) and that they were going to have a need next year, so they took the juco route and they’re recruiting the juco level highly,” said Scott, who finished his freshman season with 27 tackles, including 5.5 tackles for loss, along with three interceptions and 10 pass breakups.

“They believed that my film and what I do on the field matched up with what they’re looking for, so they were able to offer the scholarship.”

Tennessee’s coaches also have told Scott that they’re impressed by his ability to play man coverage, along with his “physicality, feet (and) speed.” He likes what he has seen and heard from Heupel’s staff, too.

“I feel like they develop DBs very well, so that’s something that’s super big, especially in this recruiting process for me,” said Scott, who will have four years to play his final three seasons of eligibility at the school of his choice. “I’m just looking for a program that develops (defensive backs) at a high level.”
-Callahan

Scott used his first official visit to travel to Arizona in June. Earlier this week, he told 247Sports' Keith Niebuhr that Auburn, Oregon and Tennessee were among the teams he was strongly considering.

In early September, Scott told GoVols247 that the Vols had told him they could use some experience at cornerback, with two of their veteran cornerbacks — Alontae Taylor and Kenneth George Jr. — currently being seniors.

“They mentioned that they were graduating (cornerbacks) and that they were going to have a need next year, so they took the juco route and they’re recruiting the juco level highly,” said Scott, who finished his freshman season with 27 tackles, including 5.5 tackles for loss, along with three interceptions and 10 pass breakups.

“They believed that my film and what I do on the field matched up with what they’re looking for, so they were able to offer the scholarship.”

Tennessee’s coaches also have told Scott that they’re impressed by his ability to play man coverage, along with his “physicality, feet (and) speed.” He likes what he has seen and heard from first-year Vols coach Josh Heupel’s staff, too.

“I feel like they develop DBs very well, so that’s something that’s super big, especially in this recruiting process for me,” Scott said last month. “I’m just looking for a program that develops (defensive backs) at a high level.”

- Callahan

VN Store

Back