Josh Heupel emerges (old thread)

Do any of you look at actual circumstances regarding why Heupel went down in win totals?

Year 1 star QB injured in November. Forced to play a true freshman. Only loss is to LSU by 8 in bowl game with said freshman starting.

Year 2. That true freshman now a sophomore QB and is the starter. He gets injured in the preseason and is lost for the year. The other true freshman from the prior year has to start. They go 10-3 with a back up true sophomore who had no playing experience before the season.

Year 3. Covid blasts them. Multiple starters and 13 total players opt out, including the now junior QB who was recovered from his injury and their top two defensive linemen. This happens just before the season starts. They were preseason top 25 and picked to win the conference before the opt outs.

Big misconception. Scott Frost "built" them. Frost had one full recruiting class at UCF. He partially signed one when he arrived and left a partial one when he quit that Huepel had to salvage.

His 13-0 team had 6 NFL players. 5 were gone in 2018 when Heupel took over. Frost recruited 1 of those 6 NFL players.

Wasting your time. The pundits won’t change their minds. Also UCF would have destroyed us the past 3 years. I mean Heupel is an offensive guy, that has had top 5 offenses, coached up Sam Bradford. was the OC of the top offense in the SEC in 2016 and has a winning record.

But of course he isn’t good enough for us because we are this powerhouse program.

I doubt Scott Frost would have improved or even maintained 13-0. Especially with the QB getting hurt.

I’m not pushing for JH either. I’d rather give Steele 3-4 years to see what he can do.
Maybe not in record. And even still it’s a tough act to follow. But they’ve fallen off a lot

Josh Heupel's offenses have ranked 6th, 5th, and 2nd in the country in total offense the last three years at UCF. As OC at Missouri in 2017, they were 14th.
When was the last time we were top 25 in O. Be happy anyone will take us.

Our 2016 offense was the best we've had in years and Missouri was 42 spots ahead of us in passing that year with Heupel at OC.

No I’m tired of assistant coaches and group of 5 coaches who haven’t ever done anything. If the athletic dept and guys like you no longer want to try to be a big boy just admit it and let’s go to Conf USA or the MEAC

I want it just as bad as you. But if you think it’s just about money when hiring a coach this time, then you just don’t get it.

Reactions: Border Vol
Do any of you look at actual circumstances regarding why Heupel went down in win totals?

Year 1 star QB injured in November. Forced to play a true freshman. Only loss is to LSU by 8 in bowl game with said freshman starting.

Year 2. That true freshman now a sophomore QB and is the starter. He gets injured in the preseason and is lost for the year. The other true freshman from the prior year has to start. They go 10-3 with a back up true sophomore who had no playing experience before the season.

Year 3. Covid blasts them. Multiple starters and 13 total players opt out, including the now junior QB who was recovered from his injury and their top two defensive linemen. This happens just before the season starts. They were preseason top 25 and picked to win the conference before the opt outs.

Big misconception. Scott Frost "built" them. Frost had one full recruiting class at UCF. He partially signed one when he arrived and left a partial one when he quit that Huepel had to salvage.

His 13-0 team had 6 NFL players. 5 were gone in 2018 when Heupel took over. Frost recruited 1 of those 6 NFL players.

They play in a crap conference. Heupel took over a loaded program for that conference and has managed it down each year. Even beat writers down there say he is on shaky ground. He was fired from his alma mater as OC. Come on. There is no polishing this turd.

Reactions: Probably_in_Class
Coach Mo ----- er um ----- Coach Heupel. LOL

5272724b9b54a.image.jpg

If only White had consulted with all the experts here first! Clearly VolSchmuck29, BigOrangeDBag11, and others have better insights on financial restraints, program interest, and just plain old evaluation.

As a true fan, there's only one thing to do now.....throw a temper tantrum online. That'll help the program and make our existing players and recruits feel great.

I want it just as bad as you. But if you think it’s just about money when hiring a coach this time, then you just don’t get it.
That’s most of it. I know there are issues here but if a guy is making 3.7 mil at a place that never has a chance to win anything then offer to double his salary.

Josh Heupel's offenses have ranked 6th, 5th, and 2nd in the country in total offense the last three years at UCF. As OC at Missouri in 2017, they were 14th.
It’s way too easy to criticize whoever than to actually look at the facts.
I’m not super in love with Heupel as a coach, we’ve obviously been expecting more of a splash hire what with our fancy new AD.
However, we could do a lot worse (we have a lot lately) than to have a head coach that can put points on the board and to have Steele as a defensive coordinator.
Hire Garner to help recruit, stop the bleeding with our roster, find as many decent transfers as we can, and let’s roll if this is where we’re at.

Go Vols!

Reactions: Vato and GoVols64
They play in a crap conference. Heupel took over a loaded program for that conference and has managed it down each year. Even beat writers down there say he is on shaky ground. He was fired from his alma mater as OC. Come on. There is no polishing this turd.

That crap conference champion that beat UCF 36-33 took Georgia to the wire. He took LSU to the wire with UCF himself playing a true freshman QB starting his 3rd game. He's played on a national championship team. He has coached in the SEC and his offense lit up the Eastern division.

From what I can tell Volnation just doesn't want a coach because every name mentioned causes a meltdown.

You don't spend that kind of money on Danny White, and then just let him come on board with zero expectation that there's going to be a significant ROI on the investment.
What’s the expression...make your own mistakes?

White is going to succeed or fail based on this hire having success. Would getting a more universally acclaimed hire than Heupel change anything if the hire doesn’t do well enough?

I don’t know. Maybe.

Has anyone even considered this. White stated that he would speak to the players about who he is thinking about hiring. What if have them a list of potential candidates and the players signed off on Heupel along with some others?
I don't think the idea of hiring a competent AD is for him to allow the team to vet coaches. White was hired for his judgement, not to merely please the team with who he hires.

I reject the idea that the team has to or gets to "sign off" on their new coach.

The coaches being mentioned don’t want this job. So here we go. We don’t get the name we want and will be petulant children if anything goes wrong and start flaming here, on social media and wherever else. Rinse and repeat.

Heupel is solid and will improve our offense. Defensively we need athletes and many have left so we better score a bunch until we get some.

I’d actually rather have him than a coordinator.

In terms of efficiency they ranked 8, 14, 14. And in defense they ranked 54, 15, 84

So random question assuming it is Heupel. White wanted the Vols team to be the first to know. Well devils advocate. Shouldn't Heupels old team be the first to know he is leaving?

VN Store

Back