Josh Heupel emerges (old thread)

If this is the case and we are going down this route, what leaves me scratching my head is....why not Chadwell? Why not Leipold? Why not Shawn Elliot? I could get behind those names a hell of lot more than Heupel.

Reactions: A.J.
I think making an AD the second highest paid AD in the country, letting him spend $120,000 on a search firm, and then him hiring the same coach that he hired at his last non-P5 school, is about as far below expectation as humanly possible.

spot on

Has anyone even considered this. White stated that he would speak to the players about who he is thinking about hiring. What if have them a list of potential candidates and the players signed off on Heupel along with some others?

I mean, it was double as good. If Pruitt had gone 6-4 this year, he'd still be here. This isn't a Heupel endorsement, but I'm just saying we have to be accurate in our disparagement of him. Haha.
Yes. Should have put the quotes around “slightly.”

Has anyone even considered this. White stated that he would speak to the players about who he is thinking about hiring. What if have them a list of potential candidates and the players signed off on Heupel along with some others?
He said he wouldn’t mention candidates to them. He also said ideally though it’s not likely possible due to social media but he would like to be the one to tell them who is hired

He said he wouldn’t mention candidates to them. He also said ideally though it’s not likely possible due to social media but he would like to be the one to tell them who is hired

He also said that the names you hear likely won’t be the ones he is considering. Yet that has t stopped people from speculation.

You don't spend that kind of money on Danny White, and then just let him come on board with zero expectation that there's going to be a significant ROI on the investment.

They paid that bc they knew they needed a respected name to negotiate. Turns out it wasn't enough. At least appears that way. We are a dumpster fire that the current AD has had no hand in making.

Reactions: 82_VOL_83
Exxxxactly. We could have hired Tennessee Tech's AD to get a Heupel type coach.

Tennessee hasn’t hire any head football coach yet.

Some folks seem get all out of whack just because the AD doesn’t update them personally along the way.

This is a case where a good coach wants a long term deal due to the circumstances. But the university should pony up more up front to and then be left extending a big contract should the coach actually be able to deliver. But we don’t and that’s how we end up w bargain bin or risky hires

Reactions: LAVol1
How are we a promotion right now? UCF would have beaten us by 2 TDs the last 3 years.

Because we play in the SEC, have pro level facilities, and have a stadium that seats six figures. Plus, if you go undefeated here, they’re going to let you play for a national title. O, and we pay more.

If you legitimately don’t think we’re a promotion over UCF, go support another team. Vandy will be happy to have you.

Reactions: 82_VOL_83
If rumors are true about coaches DW has talked to, then no reason Kiffbag and Freeze should not be 1A and/or 1B and Vol Nation is justified in raising hell to get either since they actually WANT the job! Git yer head out of yer aise UT!

Reactions: DeepSpringsVol
Boosters aren't going to pony up for Heupel and his UCF buyout, right? They would laugh at that.

Save your money, keep Steele as interim HC for a year.

Reactions: wmcovol
Do any of you look at actual circumstances regarding why Heupel went down in win totals?

Year 1 star QB injured in November. Forced to play a true freshman. Only loss is to LSU by 8 in bowl game with said freshman starting.

Year 2. That true freshman now a sophomore QB and is the starter. He gets injured in the preseason and is lost for the year. The other true freshman from the prior year has to start. They go 10-3 with a back up true sophomore who had no playing experience before the season.

Year 3. Covid blasts them. Multiple starters and 13 total players opt out, including the now junior QB who was recovered from his injury and their top two defensive linemen. This happens just before the season starts. They were preseason top 25 and picked to win the conference before the opt outs.

Big misconception. Scott Frost "built" them. Frost had one full recruiting class at UCF. He partially signed one when he arrived and left a partial one when he quit that Huepel had to salvage.

His 13-0 team had 6 NFL players. 5 were gone in 2018 when Heupel took over. Frost recruited 1 of those 6 NFL players.

Dykes at least had shown he can improve a program. Heupel inherited a great situation and has gotten worse in each year. And we think he’s going to do the opposite in a terrible situation?

I doubt Scott Frost would have improved or even maintained 13-0. Especially with the QB getting hurt.

I’m not pushing for JH either. I’d rather give Steele 3-4 years to see what he can do.

They paid that bc they knew they needed a respected name to negotiate. Turns out it wasn't enough. At least appears that way. We are a dumpster fire that the current AD has had no hand in making.

So now the $1.8 million/year "homerun hire" of an AD is just an empty suit to get our foot in the door, but brings no real AD skills? That's what we should be expecting?

Reactions: Remy
His record as a HC has gotten worse each year. He was good with Scott Frost’s players. But now, 🤷🏻‍♂️

Josh Heupel's offenses have ranked 6th, 5th, and 2nd in the country in total offense the last three years at UCF. As OC at Missouri in 2017, they were 14th.
When was the last time we were top 25 in O. Be happy anyone will take us.

You are as naive as many others and clueless
No I’m tired of assistant coaches and group of 5 coaches who haven’t ever done anything. If the athletic dept and guys like you no longer want to try to be a big boy just admit it and let’s go to Conf USA or the MEAC

VN Store

Back