Josh Heupel emerges (old thread)

It was made clear to us that we wouldn't be entertaining people who had NCAA issues. Those two never had a shot. And probably rightfully so. We will have our hat in hand. Best case two year bowl ban and significant scholly reductions
Then it will be failed leadership again and more losing

Kiffin doesn’t want it and unless you want to change conferences, Freeze isn’t an option

wanted integrity but also spent alot of time with james franklin. Makes no sense. Freeze would win and its also possible for people to learn from the mistakes and be better.

wanted integrity but also spent alot of time with james franklin. Makes no sense. Freeze would win and its also possible for people to learn from the mistakes and be better.
No, we wanted to avoid sanctions. Franklin is clean, the other two have issues with the NCAA, one of which is basically not able to be hired. Have fun joining Liberty in whatever conference that is!

This is my issue. UCF has declined during his time there. How does that warrant a promotion?

If you go 12-1 in your first season and your only loss is a bowl game to LSU the year before they win the Natty, it's a bit hard not to suffer a little decline.

His down year, a Covid-season, UCF was 6-3 in the regular season w/losses to a pretty good Tulsa team, #7 Cincinnati (by 3) and at Memphis (by 1). They lost the bowl game to #13 BYU and Zach Wilson, who Kiper has as the second QB off the board at #4 in his current mock draft.

The 23 points by UCF is their lowest total in three years under Heupel and only the second time in his three season at UCF that his team didn't score at least 31 points.

No, we wanted to avoid sanctions. Franklin is clean, the other two have issues with the NCAA, one of which is basically not able to be hired. Have fun joining Liberty in whatever conference that is!

Liberty would beat our ass right now sadly lol. No reason to put them down.

That crap conference champion that beat UCF 36-33 took Georgia to the wire. He took LSU to the wire with UCF himself playing a true freshman QB starting his 3rd game. He's played on a national championship team. He has coached in the SEC and his offense lit up the Eastern division.

From what I can tell Volnation just doesn't want a coach because every name mentioned causes a meltdown.

Look at who is in that conference. Heupel inherited a stacked program and hasn't maintained it. Bottom line. So much so that beat writers and fans question the program under Heupel.

Heupel was also fired as OC from his damn alma mater.

This isn't the guy you want trying to rebuild your program. He hasn't built anything, quite the opposite.

If you go 12-1 in your first season and your only loss is a bowl game to LSU the year before they win the Natty, it's a bit hard not to suffer a little decline.

His down year, a Covid-season, UCF was 6-3 in the regular season w/losses to a pretty good Tulsa team, #7 Cincinnati (by 3) and at Memphis (by 1). They lost the bowl game to #13 BYU and Zach Wilson, who Kiper has as the second QB off the board at #4 in his current mock draft.

The 23 points by UCF is their lowest total in three years under Heupel and only the second time in his three season at UCF that his team didn't score at least 31 points.
Their strength of schedule was ranked 97th.

I was just coming on here to say the same thing.. Why pay a search firm to hire Danny White and make him the 2nd highest paid AD in the country, pay his buyout, and then have Danny use a search firm all so he can hire Heupel - who by the way is also due a buyout.

It wouldn’t have been surprising with the former administration but they really seemed to be smarter this time. That is why I am still wondering if this truly is the hire....
And it's not the hire. So don't worry. Elbow AND fist bump! (Then spray your hand anyway)

Reactions: CincyVol18
That’s better than getting kicked out of the conference or the death penalty.

Enjoy the the AAC or whatever conference you want us to play in.
Lol at kicked out of the conference. These coaches you are pulling for are much more likely to get us sent to the AAC. Isn’t Kiffin currently at an SEC school or had Ole Miss bent sent to the AAC?

I was just coming on here to say the same thing.. Why pay a search firm to hire Danny White and make him the 2nd highest paid AD in the country, pay his buyout, and then have Danny use a search firm all so he can hire Heupel - who by the way is also due a buyout.

It wouldn’t have been surprising with the former administration but they really seemed to be smarter this time. That is why I am still wondering if this truly is the hire....

The search firm isn’t being used for finding a coach

This with recruiting classes in the low 60s every year. UCF has never signed a top 50 class in their existence. Yet Frost "built" them with his one full recruiting class that also wasn't top 50. Heupel can't recruit talent there, but neither can anyone else. A talented Florida prospect isn't going to UCF. Not with every SEC and almost every ACC program within a short distance and recruiting there like crazy.

Reactions: WilcoVolsFan
Whether he is the guy or not. I think it's not necessarily fair to say he's regressed each year. Has he been undefeated every season? No, but I found a look at the stats and circumstances interesting.

In 2018, the team returned their veteran starting QB, McKenzie Milton. They finished the regular season undefeated, and Milton suffered that horrendous knee injury in the final game.
2018 offensive numbers: 3347 yards passing and 29 touchdowns; 3459 rushing yards and 42 touchdowns.

2019 saw Heupel starting a true freshman quarterback, Gabriel. They finish the year 10-3. The offense hums again.
2019 offensive numbers: 4117 passing yards for 36 touchdowns; 2923 rushing yards for 34 touchdowns.

In 2020, the team had ten players opt out prior to the season beginning, including multiple starters. The offense in 10 games put up the following numbers: 3574 passing yards and 32 touchdowns; 2107 rushing yards and 23 touchdowns.

So, in three seasons, Heupel's offense put up 196 touchdowns. By comparison, we have scored 88 touchdowns in the past three years.

Do they play in a lesser conference? Yes. Did they have a disappointing 2020? Yes. Would I rather have some other candidates? Also yes.

Is this the worst possible hire? I don't think so. That doesn't mean it's good enough, but it may be as good as we can do.

Look at who is in that conference. Heupel inherited a stacked program and hasn't maintained it. Bottom line. So much so that beat writers and fans question the program under Heupel.

Heupel was also fired as OC from his damn alma mater.

This isn't the guy you want trying to rebuild your program. He hasn't built anything, quite the opposite.

How did he inherit a stacked program? Frost had one full class there and they've never signed a top 50 class since they've been in existence.

He was fired as OC when Oklahoma had the 23rd ranked offense in the country. Their defense however, was awful, but Stoops brother was coaching defense and he refused to fire him. So he scape goated the offensive coaches.

VN Store

Back