Josh Heupel emerges (old thread)

I don't think the idea of hiring a competent AD is for him to allow the team to vet coaches. White was hired for his judgement, not to merely please the team with who he hires.

I reject the idea that the team has to or gets to "sign off" on their new coach.

No they don’t. He gets in front of them to hear them, gain their support and to stabilize the roster as much as possible. It’s a respect thing to the players and a good move. His job is to sell them on who he can get by highlighting the points from the meeting that fit.

It’s way too easy to criticize whoever than to actually look at the facts.
I’m not super in love with Heupel as a coach, we’ve obviously been expecting more of a splash hire what with our fancy new AD.
However, we could do a lot worse (we have a lot lately) than to have a head coach that can put points on the board and to have Steele as a defensive coordinator.
Hire Garner to help recruit, stop the bleeding with our roster, find as many decent transfers as we can, and let’s roll if this is where we’re at.

Go Vols!
This is a fantasy. Same thing people said about Pruitt. “Just hire a good offensive coordinator”. And we hired away Georgia’s...

I was just coming on here to say the same thing.. Why pay a search firm to hire Danny White and make him the 2nd highest paid AD in the country, pay his buyout, and then have Danny use a search firm all so he can hire Heupel - who by the way is also due a buyout.

It wouldn’t have been surprising with the former administration but they really seemed to be smarter this time. That is why I am still wondering if this truly is the hire....

No I’m tired of assistant coaches and group of 5 coaches who haven’t ever done anything. If the athletic dept and guys like you no longer want to try to be a big boy just admit it and let’s go to Conf USA or the MEAC
Why on earth do you think we didn't try?

No they don’t. He gets in front of them to hear them, gain their support and to stabilize the roster as much as possible. It’s a respect thing to the players and a good move. His job is to sell them on who he can get by highlighting the points from the meeting that fit.
I agree that he should sell the hire but the guy I responded to was like: Maybe he passed a list of guys by the team and Heupel was one they signed off on.

That's not how a good hire should be done. Sure, I want the team to be behind the hire and it's a matter of respect that they get the news before it's public, but they don't get to "approve a list" of potential hires. That's what I responded to.

Why on earth do you think we didn't try?
Been plenty of reports saying Kiffin and Freeze want it. Hopefully with these other names it’s just us being played but knowing how UT does coaching searches a guy like Heupel will be the guy

Well it’s late. I’m going to stop getting fired up about hypotheticals until tomorrow.

Good night you crazy bastards! ;)

I agree that he should sell the hire but the guy I responded to was like: Maybe he passed a list of guys by the team and Heupel was one they signed off on.

That's not how a good hire should be done. Sure, I want the team to be behind the hire and it's a matter of respect that they get the news before it's public, but they don't get to "approve a list" of potential hires. That's what I responded to.

We are in total agreement.

Reactions: SayUWantAreVOLution
Been plenty of reports saying Kiffin and Freeze want it. Hopefully with these other names it’s just us being played but knowing how UT does coaching searches a guy like Heupel will be the guy
Kiffin doesn’t want it and unless you want to change conferences, Freeze isn’t an option

If only White had consulted with all the experts here first! Clearly VolSchmuck29, BigOrangeDBag11, and others have better insights on financial restraints, program interest, and just plain old evaluation.

As a true fan, there's only one thing to do now.....throw a temper tantrum online. That'll help the program and make our existing players and recruits feel great.

unnamed.jpg

It was made clear to us that we wouldn't be entertaining people who had NCAA issues. Those two never had a shot. And probably rightfully so. We will have our hat in hand. Best case two year bowl ban and significant scholly reductions

In Year 2, his 10-3 recorded was padded by wins against teams that were a combined 66-64. Most of those wins were against FA&M and Florida Atlantic (20-5 combined) who UCF outright out-talented. The 3 losses were to a 4-8 Tulsa, 11-3 Cinci and 8-5 Pitt.

In Year 3, he dropped to 6-4. Wins were against teams that combined for 16-38 record. Losses were to 6-3 Tulsa, 8-3 Memphis, 9-1 Cinci and 11-1 BYU.

Frost built UCF and Heupel inherited it. Sounds a *LOT* like Brian Kelly at Cinci and Butch Jones. Frost has struggled mightily at Nebraska, so even Frost wasn't a sure-fire success. Since Heupel has steadily gotten worse in year 2 and year 3, it's hard to feel optimistic about his ability to inherit a (comparable to schedule) a less talented team and yearly matches against 3 of the best football programs every year.
Butch at least maintained a modicum of success

Reactions: Perspective
Aaron Hayden likes Heupel . . . And I'd say Aaron knows significantly more about football and such than I do (and probably you, too):

Why? Because he played football ?
Has he coached at all? Recruited or scouted talent for a job? Has he run his ow business?

VN Store

Back