Josh Heupel emerges (old thread)

These coaching searches were a lot more fun when people had outlandish stories about how they got info from their source. This time It’s just my source says “X.”

We need some true Character Development here, with plot lines, some vehicle tracking and booster infighting.

It’s not the coaching search that has failed us, we have failed the Coaching Search.

Aaron Hayden likes Heupel . . . And I'd say Aaron knows significantly more about football and such than I do (and probably you, too):

To be honest, I have no clue, idea, or inkling at this point. Hoping for the best but fearing the worst. The BVS way.

Aaron Hayden likes Heupel . . . And I'd say Aaron knows significantly more about football and such than I do (and probably you, too):

Heupel makes Dykes sound reasonable. Good Lord, whose putting out these rumors?

Given the roster and situation he inherited, is this good? Seems like a good program not maxing out because of routinely falling short- a sign of poor on-field coaching.

I’m not unequivocally against him, I just think he’s much closer to the unknown guys than his overall record suggests. There’s not much of tge normal “value-add” indicators you look for

For me I wouldn’t want him simply because for me there is just a lot of “unknowns”.....and I feel there are better options.

I “could” get on board. He has certainly shown he knows offense. I also wouldn’t say he definitely”isn’t” maxing out his situation.

He took over a “one year” 13-0 team......which previously went 6-7. He went 12-1 & 10-3......pretty good considering (seniors, transfers and installing “his” system).

This year wasn’t great 6-4, however they had a rough Covid season like several other teams......many players simply didn’t even play.

He “could” be a good one; however I would like to see more sustained success.

Heupel's recruiting is suspect at best. He will need a lot of help to get players to Tennessee.

Yeah.

He would need something like Steele, Garner and Graham hanging around to help recruiting along with some others.

If this is where the search is actually at then so be it.

Going to be a shame if the program can't even bring in a proven coach who doesn't need to be propped up by assistants though.

Perhaps it isnt appealing. If one listens to the media and rival fans, it is just short of being mayor of Lepersville. But that was also said just up to the hiring of White......that we were a joke. Then it got quiet from our critics for a few sweet days. We just have to get over what is said about us. Dont we recognize by now that we are going to get singled out when stormy times are here because that is what media and opposing fans do. We are not unique.....lets not buy in to the narrative of "Knoxville is a dead end". Picture this: they hire Chadwell. He comes home to a Volnation that quickly learns to love him and his success begins to grow. Recruiting gets big again....people begin to believe.....and other teams start to look back on the days when we couldn't win with fondness - because this is a damned sleeping giant if just managed right. And most of us know that - at least we used to believe it. And we can again.......if this hire is done right. Cmon DW, get this right
Hilton, I'm pumped: sunshine pumped

If we cannot do any better than JH we need to shut the program down, clean house and start from scratch. Was this a package deal with UCF for AD and coach. UT wrote the book on how to destroy a FB program and alienate its loyal fanbase.

Reactions: TabogaVol
Pronounced HYPE-ULL
UCF in 2015 (Frost) - 0-12...enough said
2016 (Frost) 6-7 Blowout loss to Michigan and Akr St. Bowl game
2017( Frost) - 14-0 multiple dominating wins and a huge "upset" over Auburn.
2018- 13-1 with a loss to talented LSU team (won the Natty the next season)
2019- 10-3 loss to Cincinnati by 3. Tulsa by 3. Pitt by 1. (7 points from being undefeated again)
2020 - 6-4 loss to ranked Cincy (best cincy team ever?) loss to ranked Tulsa (8 pts) loss to Memp by 1
loss to BYU by almost 30 in bowl game. (Best BYU in 30 years)

So in 2020 they lost to 3 ranked teams and a very stable Memphis program. Only bad loss to BYU.
Cincy was a top 10 team this year.

Recruiting 2014-2017 average of 67th.
2018-2021 average of 62nd

Huepel definitely is trending downward, but it's not a total nose dive. Probably should have been 8-2 in .
2020. And his recruiting was more consistent than Frosts. Frost was only there for 3 seasons.

Not excited if he gets hired...but he might be better than average to good coach potentially.
He's a OU alumni and from South Dakota. Perhaps the Rocky Top culture is better for him?? Than a UCF.

VN Store

Back