Josh Heupel emerges (old thread)

If he were to snag Lebby and maybe keep Steele around to focus on the defense this could get interesting.

UCF just hasn't been closing out games.

The BYU blowout gives me pause on him though.

Heupel's recruiting is suspect at best. He will need a lot of help to get players to Tennessee.

Reactions: Vols1-TN n KY
Perhaps it isnt appealing. If one listens to the media and rival fans, it is just short of being mayor of Lepersville. But that was also said just up to the hiring of White......that we were a joke. Then it got quiet from our critics for a few sweet days. We just have to get over what is said about us. Dont we recognize by now that we are going to get singled out when stormy times are here because that is what media and opposing fans do. We are not unique.....lets not buy in to the narrative of "Knoxville is a dead end". Picture this: they hire Chadwell. He comes home to a Volnation that quickly learns to love him and his success begins to grow. Recruiting gets big again....people begin to believe.....and other teams start to look back on the days when we couldn't win with fondness - because this is a damned sleeping giant if just managed right. And most of us know that - at least we used to believe it. And we can again.......if this hire is done right. Cmon DW, get this right
I’d take Chadwell among the “haven’t done it at this level” guys. But I don’t get to interview him or his players.

Not saying I haven’t, but I think some have been close to being right. Not all. I think Les Miles would be great for leadership right now though. It this crisis, he would be a great teacher if we have NCAA suspensions. He could help this program for several years.
Close to being right? That’s like the pilot saying “I got close to the runway.”

You have zero cred and again, I can’t believe your post about Miles wasn’t nuked.

Lost by 3 to the 7th ranked team in the country.

Lost by a lot to the best BYU team (and more talented) in a long long time.

3 losses by a combined 12 points. Surly they should do better if they want to continue to be what they were.

However I wouldn’t simply take 1 covid year.......that wasn’t simply terrible, as the deciding factor (not like it was a Tennessee season...6-4).

Again though.......I’d rather have several coaches.....even some coordinators. As I think Heupel needs to be much more proven.
Given the roster and situation he inherited, is this good? Seems like a good program not maxing out because of routinely falling short- a sign of poor on-field coaching.

I’m not unequivocally against him, I just think he’s much closer to the unknown guys than his overall record suggests. There’s not much of tge normal “value-add” indicators you look for

I would amend my thoughts on Heupel if COVID meant he had a star or multiple star players opt out. I don't know if he did or not.

If COVID didn't fundamentally alter his personnel, then everyone had COVID. It is a non-factor.

No doubt.......I wouldn’t say like.....don’t count it. Just saying many teams had a rough go of it.

Not to mention UCF ended up with like 13 players opting out for the entire season.

Saying I wouldn’t necessarily count or discount what he can do.....what he is, simply based on “this” past season........lots of unknowns.

We could do a lot worse. This guy wins as a head coach. Can he step up? Can any of them? Only one way to find out.

Yeah, 6-4 at a Group 5 school is really winning. The only reason his first two years were decent at UCF was due to Frost's recruits. The guy obviously can't recruit.

ummm.....what?
There is nothing to sugarcoat.

Do you mean he won “at” a program which went 13-0 the previous year?

How many seniors on that team?
How many transfers?
How was that first year recruiting compared to Frosts previous?

NOT the same team.

You understand in 2018 Clemson went 15-0, the next year they lost a game......this past year they lost 2..........dang Clemson is just going downhill.

Clemson didn't go 6-4. Don't be disingenuous. He's done nothing to suggest he didn't ride the coattails of the previous coach, who went undefeated and left him talent from that team. Clemson has a track record.

Seriously, that's the example you try and use?

Reactions: golfballs
So... I'm sure someone has made this point... We spend money for an AD to bring in the reputation to make a great hire... And he hires the guy he hired just before this. Lazy *and* a complete letdown.

Well, at this point the hire is going to be highly disappointing given the names being thrown around. We are in for Butch Jones 2.0.

“The ink is not on the contract, but Josh Heupel is emerging as the guy with the best shot at this job.” — Austin Price
So we hired an AD that is supposed to be next level with hiring football coaches, who hires a search firm...to hire the guy he could have called over the phone to be the HC?

1611714590685.gif

VN Store

Back