Josh Heupel at SECMD

Always found it funny no P5 program wanted him. Why?
Spurrior exposed him for the a$$ clown he was. Couldn’t beat FL with the great Manning. Can’t spell Citrus without UT. Great Pumpkin was the best. Fulmer was a great recruiter, I’ll give him that. Great coach? He was nothing without Cutcliff & Chavis.

Do you disagree Fulmer went into semi-retirement after the natty. The recruiting class he had after the natty was worst ever. That national championship burned him out.
I don’t believe that he went into semi-retirement. I just think that competition in the SEC got much better overall. That, as well as vital recruiting pipelines being shut off due to other programs finally hiring decent coaches is what really set him back.

Do you disagree Fulmer went into semi-retirement after the natty. The recruiting class he had after the natty was worst ever. That national championship burned him out.

Like many managers and CEOs, Fulmer relied heavily on his staff, esp Cut. I’m grateful for the natty and the success in the mid 90’s-2001; however, he wasn’t an elite X’s and O’s Coach. He probably did become complacent which is rule number one NOT to do to have continued success.

Also, the SEC attracted better head coaches in the 2000’s. Spurrier had his number and we already know about Saban and 2001 SEC title game.

I look back at the SEC coaches in the 90’s - Jim Donnan, Jackie Sherrill (sp), etc.

Reactions: Remy
Yeah, the #3 2007 class, the #4 2005 class, #11 2004, #2 2002 classes were SOO BAAAAD in the recruiting rankings. He had 1 class from 2002-end that was outside the Top 25 (35 in 2008), and 1 other (23 in 2006) that was outside the top 20.

2002 Team Rankings

The recruiting rankings you posted reiterate how TN underperformed during that time frame.

Not sure about semi-retirement, but he just plain became lazy. I believe at one point, after he sucked six million from the UT, he admitted as much. I think he assumed winning the Natty made him a godling, so didn't recruit with his past vigor, assuming players would just flock to him due to name reputation only. Plus, CFB passed him by in terms of his game planning. He was used to out-talent-ing people, but new scheming coaches had his number, and he was too arrogant to listen to folks around him telling him this. I also think that Saban is doing pretty much the same thing and getting away with it because gets near NFL players year in and year out. But watch Jimbo and Kiffin, Kirby, maybe Heupel too, start sending him down a Fulmer path.

Reactions: OrangeBeachVol
Speaking of weight anybody know a good diet to try and lose some weight. I’m 6’1 and 273 and would like to drop 30lbs. I have a beer gut that I just can’t get rid of.
Keto worked for me. But, it can be like walking in the desert.

Keto is a good start. Intermittent fasting is a good start also. Search youtube for Dr. Eric Berg insulin resistance is most likely your problem some metformin or ozempic (or if you want to go herbal route berberine) and a low carb diet and it will fall off of you (and you'll feel better also).

You gotta follow this thread to appreciate but where else can you 1. Enjoy Vols talk and respond if moved, 2. Get sound medical advice for various things, and 3. Avoid the co-pay. I’m active duty but it saves going to my provider, which I hate. Go Big Orange! 6 weeks til college football.

Fulmer's decline happened for a lot of reasons. One, take a look at his record with and without Cut. Cut brought an offensive mind but also a measure of discipline that was completely missing without him. Fulmer was VERY mediocre without Cut.

Second, he lacked team discipline. In his era of success, you could get away with it. Things got swept under the rug. That lack of leadership and discipline extended to his coaching staff. They weren't held accountable either. He should have fired Sanders and the DB coach whose name eludes me at a minimum. Chavis was notoriously uninvolved in recruiting.

Last, the game simply passed him by both on the field and at the coffee table. Other programs learned how to recruit better and started getting better players. On the field, you had Meyer on O and Saban on D changing the game. They hired excellent staffs and held them accountable for performance. Fulmer particularly sucked at hiring.

Reactions: VolInNW
"The early-mid 90s Fulmer was a good coach, after the natty, it was all about the paycheck." You know how STUPID that sounds?

Well, aren't you just a little ray of sunshine??

Since I typed it, I clearly don't think it 'sounds stupid'. You disagree. Any way you can do that w/o being a Richard??

You gotta follow this thread to appreciate but where else can you 1. Enjoy Vols talk and respond if moved, 2. Get sound medical advice for various things, and 3. Avoid the co-pay. I’m active duty but it saves going to my provider, which I hate. Go Big Orange! 6 weeks til college football.

Yup. The beauty of VN. All of us are experts on something. And even if we are not, we are usually wrong but seldom in doubt!

I do. I think 2004 was his best coached team and I think In 2006 we were a BCS title level team that had a lot of bad luck.

Spurrior exposed him for the a$$ clown he was. Couldn’t beat FL with the great Manning. Can’t spell Citrus without UT. Great Pumpkin was the best. Fulmer was a great recruiter, I’ll give him that. Great coach? He was nothing without Cutcliff & Chavis.
Not to mention he’s a conniving, pontifical, selfish a-hole off the field behind the scenes.

You can bet some in the media, especially Ole Miss will blow this up waaaay beyond what it really was, a joke. Just like a Kiffin joke, sorta serious - sorta kidding.
I am waiting on a reply from Kiffin...Should be classic...Should be worth a good laugh...Maybe they'll go golfing together or something.

No mention of complimentary football or lifting and snapping. No searching for deceased German Field Marshals.
The real questions are
How does he water bamboo?
Can he lay bricks?
Does he eat cornbread?
You know all the cuteisms our coach worshipers went gaga over early on in our previous coaches' tenure.
I expect a thread any day wringing hands and clutching pearls about losing new coach to Oklahoma.
Look how well our former coaches are doing at Georgia, Ohio State and Alabama. OH, WAIT!

Reactions: VolInNW
There are times in life where you're given a test. You may not realize it at the time, but it's a test. And sometimes a lot of people are in the audience, will see how you did.

This was one of those tests. A small one, not earth-shattering, but it still put you up against a yardstick.

You didn't score well, friend.

I apologize for the insult. It was juvenile on my part. I am mature enough to know not to post if I can’t handle the repercussions. You sir have a great evening.

If nothing else, he gets points for the alliteration. And, at its core, Fart Face, even in all caps, has a brilliance to it.

I think y'all are scoring too harshly.

Reactions: VOLnVANDYland
I do. I think 2004 was his best coached team and I think In 2006 we were a BCS title level team that had a lot of bad luck.

Just a follow up: do you really think 2004 was his best coaching year? I would probably agree it was his best post NC coaching year, but best overall? Not sure I can go with you on that one.

Fulmer was a great recruiter and he could coach/recruit the trenches like no one’s business. But he’s really bad at hiring other coaches and that was his coaching downfall and AD downfall. Every other year during his tenure our recruiting was lower ranked because he got quality depth those years and got the position players the next year.

😂😂😂 Yes, we are reaching critical mass. But, we're still coping with withdrawal from last season.

VN Store

Back