John Fulkerson Injury

I mean a flagrant 2 just requires an ejection for the game. That’s what was called, it is what it is.

By comparison, targeting in football is much more dangerous and typically only warrants a one half suspension.

If the exact same situation occurred in a football game, the Florida guy couldn’t play first half of the NCAA game. And targeting usually isn’t intent to injure, it’s usually just natural reaction

Reactions: Johnnyreb#VFL
If the exact same situation occurred in a football game, the Florida guy couldn’t play first half of the NCAA game. And targeting usually isn’t intent to injure, it’s usually just natural reaction
That’s only if the targeting happens in the second half. First half targeting fouls don’t result in a next game suspension

Reactions: Johnnyreb#VFL
Why the comparisons to targeting? Targeting almost always occurs in the course of play and is a player reacting to a play. This was a dude who threw 2 intentional elbows that had nothing to do with the course of play and was done with intent to harm. It shouldn’t matter what the penalty for targeting or unnecessary roughness is in comparisons, this was beyond that.

Targeting and what happened to Fulkerson are not even in the same Rules Paragraph. It is like comparing Apples to Oranges.

Targeting usually happens as part of a Play by a defender trying to make a play on a Receiver but an adjustment occurs by the Targeted player may result in a Targeting Call. 90% of the time a Targeting incident is not premediated nor is it followed up by a 2nd targeting attempt.

As for the Case of the Fulkerson incident it was a premediated action and followed up with a 2nd Premediated action. Not Targeting in my book but an intent to harm through the use of force.

So I’ve heard nothing from the SEC office regarding the assault Omar Payne from FL did on Fulky on Friday in the SECT. Have they suspended him for several games? How can JuJuan Jennings get suspended last year for stepping on a guys football helmet but Payne gets no reprimand from the SEC for a blatant assault? Why is Barnes not making A bigger deal out of this? I hope to God he’s at least contacted the Commissioner and demanded some type of action against Payne Fulky‘s season is more than likely finished while Payne gets to keep playing? Something isn’t right here.
That’s an interesting point about Jennings.

Sankey should “negotiate” with UF AD/Coach and one of the parties, preferably UF, announce a 2 or 3 game suspension for Payne. Tough call on which 2 or 3 games, but I think it would be fair to make it immediate. (Realize if Payne doesn’t return to UF, he may never fully serve a multi game suspension.)

I think the JJ bowl game suspension is a pretty good precedent. Sankey inserted himself in the JJ deal when there wasn’t a specific rule on the books to suspend JJ for the game. And a one football game suspension equals a 2 or 3 basketball game suspension due to more basketball games scheduled.

That’s only if the targeting happens in the second half. First half targeting fouls don’t result in a next game suspension

Didn’t the flagrant foul occur in the 2nd half? If not, I apologize but I thought it occurred in the 2nd half.

That’s silly

Payne deserves the same kind of punishment Jennings got last year In the bowl game.
Similar type infractions.
In what world does Jennings infraction on a player with a helmet on compare to a chicken s**t flying elbow to a defenseless player that may result in permanent damage? That’s the most ignorant post I’ve read in awhile.

In what world does Jennings infraction on a player with a helmet on compare to a chicken s**t flying elbow to a defenseless player that may result in permanent damage? That’s the most ignorant post I’ve read in awhile.

Both were excessive acts of physical violence toward a competitor and both should be punished with similar consequences. Sorry you don’t agree

Reactions: dovervolz
How can the SEC office turn a blind eye to this? What precedent does that set? I’m still amazed there is not more of an uproar over the incident. Of course they apologized and then probably snickered about it afterwards

Probably so but I doubt if the SEC issues any punishment.

Some further punishment needed .At least half a game. Have not heard any national media figures commenting on incident but havent watched much TV since loss to bama.,

Payne should have to sit as many games as Fulky misses. If Fulky is out of the NCAAT, Pay es should be out as well

That’s really not how punishment works. That’s like saying a kid leaves the bench and fights but a player isn’t injured so they shouldn’t be punished.

Here’s what I saw at the game. Florida’s starter, Castleton, made one trip up the floor in the second half when the Florida coach substituted with Payne. Immediately, Payne started roughing up Fulky. A minute or two later the two elbows came to the face. Now, I’m not saying he was told to elbow him in the face, but there is no doubt in my mind that Florida’s coach told Payne to rough him up!

In what way is that Danny White’s fault? He has no control over what the SEC and NCAA do, or don’t do.

Danny White needs to step up and defend one of his student athletes who was blatantly assaulted at a televised event. If he’s not behind the scenes pushing for a suspension then that’s strike one as our new AD. If nothing happens with Payne then it’s a failure by DW.

Which is worse? UF elbow or the JJ face mask step? I don't remember what happened to JJ but more punishment is needed for the UF kid. Tony B bring up a lot of good points this morning.

Reactions: 1985Vols
I’d like to see Fulkerson sue Florida. Get a deposition from Mike White and make him say publicly that he pulled Castleton for Payne and that he instructed Payne to thug it up on Fulk.

At the risk of getting told there is a thread on this somewhere (I looked, so sorry if I missed it), my question is whether or not Omar Payne is going to be allowed to play in the Gators first round game? We can debate the merits of his apology and the fact that the coach reached out to Barnes, and the fact that Fulky has asked all to show grace.........but the facts remain those were two nasty, intentional elbows. The best analogy I can come up with on my own is JJ on the sideline after tacking the Vandy player, no penalty on the field, yet the SEC reviews it after the fact and suspends him for the first half of the bowl game against Indiana. Did the SEC review the two elbows and make no determination, or did they not review them, or at the least has Coach White not stepped up and suspended his own player without having to be told to do so? Maybe I've missed a headline on this somewhere, or maybe it's just being buried in the news and no one cares. Any information out there?

Reactions: 1985Vols
At the risk of getting told there is a thread on this somewhere (I looked, so sorry if I missed it), my question is whether or not Omar Payne is going to be allowed to play in the Gators first round game? We can debate the merits of his apology and the fact that the coach reached out to Barnes, and the fact that Fulky has asked all to show grace.........but the facts remain those were two nasty, intentional elbows. The best analogy I can come up with on my own is JJ on the sideline after tacking the Vandy player, no penalty on the field, yet the SEC reviews it after the fact and suspends him for the first half of the bowl game against Indiana. Did the SEC review the two elbows and make no determination, or did they not review them, or at the least has Coach White not stepped up and suspended his own player without having to be told to do so? Maybe I've missed a headline on this somewhere, or maybe it's just being buried in the news and no one cares. Any information out there?

Danny White needs to step up and defend one of his student athletes who was blatantly assaulted at a televised event. If he’s not behind the scenes pushing for a suspension then that’s strike one as our new AD. If nothing happens with Payne then it’s a failure by DW.

If he's working behind the scenes, we'll never know. And bottom line is he has no authority, so it cannot be a failure on someone who has no power over the situation. I expect he's done what he can, but not publicly. Same with coach Barnes

VN Store

Back