John Fulkerson Injury

If that Omar guy had done that to another student on campus, he would have been kicked out of school. He at least needs to be kicked off the team.

Reactions: ButchPlz
What a hill to die on. Were you dropped on your head as a kid?
He obviously was. I thought he finally figured out he was wrong and quietly went home. Guess he hasn’t learned his lesson yet. Incidental concussion and fractured eye socket?? Really??

Clearly it was an overt act of aggression and it’s my understanding according to Coach White this has been an issue before with Payne. John’s response to Payne’s confession and contrition is from a heart full of grace and mercy. And an unworldly response that makes me so very proud of him. Certainly though, as multiple incidents have now happened, swift and severe action MUST BE TAKEN! I’m not mad at the kid from Florida nor do I want riotous reactions from any people groups. Just calm, legal, responsible action taken to see this type of hostility is rooted out and exposed. Hopefully Payne THIS TIME will grow in character and learn to extend grace and mercy to offenders in his life one day. Just my take.

John Fulkerson is a better person than I am regarding the situation. All class, true VOL. #winforFulky
I agree. However, I would not be as concerned about the issue if only one elbo had been thrown in less than 2 seconds. There is no question that there was definite intent to hard Fullerton. The first ” punch” was aimed at the neck and when that did not take Fullerton down, he aimed the second one at the face. We will be able to determine if coach White is worthy of remaining a collegiate head basket coach by the manner in which be handles this situation. Is he man enough to discipline the player for his disgraceful actions, or will he just condone the player’s actions. White is at a crossroads which will determine how he will be evaluated, not only as a coach, but also as a descent person.

Last edited:
I'd apologize too if I was at risk of being suspended or penalized, or worse, having potential NBA draft value diminished. There's a lot of incentives to act contrite -- and some of them are possibly financial. Of course you apologize. Still doesn't change the fact that his action significant impacted both Fulkerson and Tennessee's post-season chances.

I hope Fulk gets better soon and his concussion wasn’t as bad as it looked.

I agree with others, Flagrant 2s need a worse penalty somehow. Like opposing coach chooses a player on your team to remove for the rest of the game or player is out for the rest of the year or something like that if you commit one (similar for extreme targeting examples). Currently, there’s an incentive to intentionally throw elbows from your scrubs to take a guy out of the game
Goons are nothing new.
bill-laimbeer-bad-boys-center-pistons.png

Honestly...No matter what Fulky says, that guy will forever be defined by that one act. Especially amongst TN fans.

It was a punk/thug move. Wouldn't bother me a bit if the guy never suits up for organized ball again.

Mad respect for both Payne and Fulk.
Maybe I’m cynical, but I think the SEC has to issue some form of suspension or they are exposing themselves to future litigation if someone gets seriously injured in the future and they took no action on this obvious international act. The Florida folks know this are had Payne do something to indicate remorse hoping to lesson the punishment. JMO

Reactions: Smallvol#1
Maybe I’m cynical, but I think the SEC has to issue some form of suspension or they are exposing themselves to future litigation if someone gets seriously injured in the future and they took no action on this obvious international act. The Florida folks know this are had Payne do something to indicate remorse hoping to lesson the punishment. JMO
I agree 100%, he has to face appropriate repercussions.

A deliberate elbow is every bit as dangerous as a fist...maybe even more so.
The big distinction is that when you use your fist you expose yourself to more injury. If you’re looking to lay a heavy blow, elbow is a good choice.

VN Store

Back