Jimbo looking like he’s trying to get fired.

I mean if both sides didnt agree to the terms they shouldnt have signed it. Afterwards they have to uphold it.
Of course they have to uphold it. The question is why would an AD sign a $90 million 10y deal with Jimbo? Who else was threatening to offer him that kind of money?

Also, why the long term nature of the contract? Make the guy the highest paid coach in CFB at $12 million/y (if you believe in him) but do it with a 4y contract. After each year, extend a year with bonuses if things look good or buy him out for $36 million. Keep repeating until he fails.

With his current contract, if he flames out in 3y, he gets paid $30 million a year, if he does a great job and lasts 10y, he makes $9 million. Pretty ridiculous if you ask me.

Reactions: GritNGrind1906
Keep in mind here he had a 10 year contract that started in 2018 and they have extended it already. My dumb-o-meter simply doesn't register that high.

I guess he has the highest incentive to get fired for job performance of anybody I know of on earth, although I admit Bob Nardelli got over $200 million to leave Home Depot, so it's not like it's going to be a record.

Of course they have to uphold it. The question is why would an AD sign a $90 million 10y deal with Jimbo? Who else was threatening to offer him that kind of money?

Also, why the long term nature of the contract? Make the guy the highest paid coach in CFB at $12 million/y (if you believe in him) but do it with a 4y contract. After each year, extend a year with bonuses if things look good or buy him out for $36 million. Keep repeating until he fails.

With his current contract, if he flames out in 3y, he gets paid $30 million a year, if he does a great job and lasts 10y, he makes $9 million. Pretty ridiculous if you ask me.
I think you have to understand how odd and arrogant aTm is. They didn't want someone to come at Jimbo because that's how they are.

They are deathly afraid of looking weak or vulnerable. It's evident in that macho "nut grabbing" foolishness and the overly obnoxious midnight put down yells.

It's a top down problem, trustees to admins to AD. They cannot be weak in any way.

I think you have to understand how odd and arrogant aTm is. They didn't want someone to come at Jimbo because that's how they are.

They are deathly afraid of looking weak or vulnerable. It's evident in that macho "nut grabbing" foolishness and the overly obnoxious midnight put down yells.

It's a top down problem, trustees to admins to AD. They cannot be weak in any way.
They were probably the most hated fans in the old Southwest Conference

Seems like that level of insecurity is an expensive affliction!

A&M was scheduled to also get the Death Penalty but the NCAA decided to never use it again after they saw the effects it had on the SMU program. Jackie Sherrill was way beyond shady when he was there.

They have an inferiority complex with Texas, who are of course extremely arrogant themselves, and they try to out-Texas Texas in a lot of ways.

A&M was scheduled to also get the Death Penalty but the NCAA decided to never use it again after they saw the effects it had on the SMU program. Jackie Sherrill was way beyond shady when he was there.
He destroyed the Pitt program also getting them in trouble with the NCAA. Jackie even got Washington State in trouble with the NCAA and he was only there in 1976.

Reactions: BUBear
Aggy seems to attract them. Bear Bryant left Kentucky and A&M with NCAA sanctions to handle and I think we all know what he was doing at Alabama too.
Bear Bryant got John David Crow to change his mind about going to Oklahoma by literally putting a bucket of money on his front porch. That got Texas A&M put on NCAA Probation from 1954-1956.

Bear Bryant got John David Crow to change his mind about going to Oklahoma by literally putting a bucket of money on his front porch. That got Texas A&M put on NCAA Probation from 1954-1956.
Things were crazy back in the day. Billy Sims committed to Baylor out of Hooks HS. Billy's parents were divorced and his dad lived in Houston. Barry Switzer paid Billy's to pick Billy up a couple of days before National Signing Day and put him on ice in Houston. Come signing day Billy's mother didn't know where he was and the Baylor coaches couldn't find him. The Sooners signed him bright and early that morning.

Things were crazy back in the day. Billy Sims committed to Baylor out of Hooks HS. Billy's parents were divorced and his dad lived in Houston. Barry Switzer paid Billy's dad to pick Billy up a couple of days before National Signing Day and put him on ice in Houston. Come signing day Billy's mother didn't know where he was and the Baylor coaches couldn't find him. The Sooners signed him bright and early that morning.

Reactions: Jeff Clark
Things were crazy back in the day. Billy Sims committed to Baylor out of Hooks HS. Billy's parents were divorced and his dad lived in Houston. Barry Switzer paid Billy's to pick Billy up a couple of days before National Signing Day and put him on ice in Houston. Come signing day Billy's mother didn't know where he was and the Baylor coaches couldn't find him. The Sooners signed him bright and early that morning.

Hey
BUbear
Please invoke whatever magic is needed for Baylor to give TCU a fat L tomorrow.
Thanks

Pepjax

Same thing with Eric Dickerson out of Houston. Barry Switzer said he knew SMU was paying players in 1979 when Eric Dickerson chose SMU over Oklahoma. Eric Dickerson's Grandma was the person who was paid because you had to go through her to get to Eric.

Hey
BUbear
Please invoke whatever magic is needed for Baylor to give TCU a fat L tomorrow.
Thanks

Pepjax
There are a couple of interesting stats that are in the Bears' favor. 1) We're undefeated in Big 12 play this season as an underdog (3-0). And 2) The last two times a Big 12 team has started 10-0 (K-State in 2012 and Oklahoma State in 2015), they've had their undefeated runs ended by Baylor. Granted, those things won't have any impact on the game Saturday, but they're interesting nonetheless.

VN Store

Back