JG played better against BYU. He gave our receivers a chance.

JG May have talent. That alone won’t get it done. He has no vision. He plays hesitant. Unfortunately his mental game is worse than his ability. He isn’t going to cut it at this level. Sadly our backups are too inexperienced and not ready for SEC play. Unfortunately I don’t think we have a choice but get them experience. To keep JG at the helm is just pissing in the wind.
Freshman QB'S play all the time now and since JG has cost us 2 games now the backups can't do worse

So you would prefer that he just throw the ball out of the back of the end zone as usual?
I think we would all love to not ever have to debate his performance again, and have a QB that is at least mid level high school accurate

Lol I’ve tried to support JG. Yesterday was awful. Would take more then a miracle for him to go to the NFL. If he plays like anyone at all in the NFL it’s Mariota. Only 11 tds last year but highest completion percentage. He also doesn’t seem to know how to always win. I’m ready to see #18 get some reps. Even tho I think he is third on the depth chart.

With the few post I have made, I have been willing to give JG the benefit of the doubt. Long before the season I started I said wait several games into the season before you pass sentence on him.
In a effort to keep my blood pressure in check, I have not watched the mess of last week. Last night I watched from start to finish. The team and especially the fans came out and showed up. The BO fans put the first game aside and you saw it with the team. EXCEPT, no captain at the wheel. He looked like 2 years ago. Dejavu.
Will the line keep up their improvement. Last year the line got JG killed. Last night you saw very significant improvement with the OL. Will the line keep up its improvement for someone who cannot pull his weight? The team needs someone to rally around someone.

I am afraid it is not JG.

JG was not a good QB, but he gave his receivers the opportunity to erase his mistakes.

Usually he does not do that, but throws it out of bounds giving us no chance.
He gave the other 11 guys wearing white plenty of opportunity, too. He should have thrown 4 picks, last night. He's indefensible.

JG was not a good QB, but he gave his receivers the opportunity to erase his mistakes.

So are you a family member or just a lifelong friend of JG?

Great another JG thread that Stevie Wonder can see will end in another player bashing. OP must be trolling.

There was one play, maybe 3rd down right before the half that Palmer ran an inside post with no over the top safety help. Wide open! literally 4 steps on the guy and would have been a TD. Instead JG throws to the flat and we may have gotten a yard. Settled for a FG. I personally didn't think JG was the answer, but I sure as hell thought he could get most of what we needed done. He really is not very good. I counted at least 3 plays last night that a wr was running wide open and would have been a big gain. He just doesn't see the field. I don't think his time here has given him the most fair shot, though. 4 coordinators? I hate it for the kid, he represents us well, but he isn't going to cut it.

True that's tough, but if a QB is a gamer, then he's a gamer. Period. Crompdaddy is proof of that. multiple OC's. But, when a good one got hold of him, he got 'er done. JG hasn't showed the ability to be a gamer under any of them.

Rotate Maurer and Strout until one pulls away as the leader of the offense....Let them play and grow and figure it out as they go...At this point we got nothing to lose.
Agreed.

JG banking passes off defenders hands for TDs doesnt sound like a long term plan.

Reactions: VOLnMiami
USC started a true freshman last night vs. a ranked team. This true freshman was also 3-7 his senior year in high school. Last night he threw for 377 yards, multiple touchdowns and set all kinds of freshman QB records. Did I mention he's a true freshman starting against a ranked team? Bama, Georgia and many other teams have found success with true freshmen.

How long has JG been here? And he still misses wide open receivers and checks down unnecessarily? This offense has struggled the past 3 years and honestly there is no sign of it getting better. Time for a change...
None other than the UT Vols started a true freshman named Erik Ainge in 2004, and all he did was lead us to victories against UF and UGA (the latter of which was ranked #3 in the country at the time) and break Peyton's record for most TD passes by a freshman with 17, despite playing in only nine games due to injury. We played in the SEC championship that year, and if Ainge hadn't been hurt then (Rick Clausen went 8-20 for 69 yards and a 40% completion rate), we probably would have won it.

Of particular relevance to this discussion is the fact that even in the games he played, Ainge often had to split time with fellow freshman Brent Schaeffer...because Fulmer couldn't tell which one was better. Brent Schaeffer.

There’s no better chance to see what they have playing Chatt. Give them both a half and roll with the one who commands the offense better. No way I go into SEC play with JG running the show at this point.

JG May have talent. That alone won’t get it done. He has no vision. He plays hesitant. Unfortunately his mental game is worse than his ability. He isn’t going to cut it at this level. Sadly our backups are too inexperienced and not ready for SEC play. Unfortunately I don’t think we have a choice but get them experience. To keep JG at the helm is just pissing in the wind.
Reminds me of a favorite saying of an old Cajun who was an instrument man in the plant where I worked in Louisiana many years ago.

"Like trying to piss up a manila hemp"

JG is toast.....

He has no confidence...It's over for him.
When the did close ups of him taking the snap.... to me, it seemed he had a stressed and worried look about him. That shows he is playing scared and lacks the in your face confidence needed at that position. The years at UT have not been kind to him and it is showing.

JG was awful and Chaney wasnt much better. Obviously you are limited with JG but zero creativity was seen.

Chaney was calling the game the best he could with the QB he was working with. Because JG was so off he couldn’t risk throwing an interception. He even tried a couple double fakes and let JG throw but JG missed the throw. Not Chaney’s fault.

VN Store

Back