JG played better against BYU. He gave our receivers a chance.

JG May have talent. That alone won’t get it done. He has no vision. He plays hesitant. Unfortunately his mental game is worse than his ability. He isn’t going to cut it at this level. Sadly our backups are too inexperienced and not ready for SEC play. Unfortunately I don’t think we have a choice but get them experience. To keep JG at the helm is just pissing in the wind.

JG May have talent. That alone won’t get it done. He has no vision. He plays hesitant. Unfortunately his mental game is worse than his ability. He isn’t going to cut it at this level. Sadly our backups are too inexperienced and not ready for SEC play. Unfortunately I don’t think we have a choice but get them experience. To keep JG at the helm is just pissing in the wind.
I agree, but you must admit that the 2 touchdowns Tennessee did score would not have happened, had JG thrown the ball out of the back of the end zone like he usually does.

JG is improving as a team mate.

I’m assuming you are referring to Jeff Gordon or Juju Ganoosh because you can’t be referring to Garatano

JG has regressed big-time.

I'd hope he'd take a solid, but not spectacular 2018 campaign and improve upon that performance, but he's been much worse than he was last season. He did very little right in that game. Constantly overthrew receivers. Very late on several passes. One very bad INT.

If he hits some of those throws, we score 10 - 21 more points and the D scores 7 less. That's a pretty big swing. Suddenly, we're up 26-6 or 33-6 at the end of the game and that big pass play BYU hits is irrelevant.

Last year, you could say that while he wasn't a huge play-maker, he was accurate and rarely made big mistakes. This year, all he's done is make big mistakes and he's been less accurate. I hope he can get it together, but he's not playing well right now.

I have been an JG supporter, not a fan.

If I were coach, I would use any QB other than JG. If we lose, so be it. But I would know by the end of that game as to whether or not I had someone other than JG. Also, one of these "young men", notice I didn't say "kid", has an opportunity to take the starting job. If they want it, they better be learning schemes/playbooks. It takes more than being a good QB to play.

Reactions: VolSteve and GBOx2
JG was not a good QB, but he gave his receivers the opportunity to erase his mistakes.

Usually he does not do that, but throws it out of bounds giving us no chance.
Both TDs were on Jennings - JG did nothing - if anything they should've been INTs.

The real truth of the matter is coaches cannot trust JG to throw the ball down field.

I agree, but you must admit that the 2 touchdowns Tennessee did score would not have happened, had JG thrown the ball out of the back of the end zone like he usually does.

I actually think the opposite. Had Jennings not been a great athlete and determined they both would have been INT’s.

I actually think the opposite. Had Jennings not been a great athlete and determined they both would have been INT’s.
So you would prefer that he just throw the ball out of the back of the end zone as usual?

So you would prefer that he just throw the ball out of the back of the end zone as usual?
Let’s not be silly. Of course not. My point is, as most will agree, neither ball was well timed, thrown, or placed. We got lucky and or Jennings out hustled them. I hardly would call an other wise expected throw an improvement because of sheer luck or will by another player

He can be a better team mate on the scout team.

USC started a true freshman last night vs. a ranked team. This true freshman was also 3-7 his senior year in high school. Last night he threw for 377 yards, multiple touchdowns and set all kinds of freshman QB records. Did I mention he's a true freshman starting against a ranked team? Bama, Georgia and many other teams have found success with true freshmen.

How long has JG been here? And he still misses wide open receivers and checks down unnecessarily? This offense has struggled the past 3 years and honestly there is no sign of it getting better. Time for a change...

Tennessee cannot win in the SEC with JG at quarterback. period. He stares down receivers and throws the ball late and at some point will be destroyed in the pocket with the ball in his hand. The offense has great potential otherwise...young developing offensive linemen, two very good running backs and veteran receivers. JG reminds me of Sterling Helton who could not throw the ball but had a great offensive team. If they hope to salvage the season I hope there is another qb in the wings...

JG was not a good QB, but he gave his receivers the opportunity to erase his mistakes.

2 pics already after 2 in the first 8 games last year. And the first TD should’ve been pic #3. He’s regressing, and McElroy repeatedly pointed out how late he is on throws

He’ll improve as a teammate if he stays off the field. The coaches showed how much confidence they had in him by trying to keep him from single handedly losing the game. He is a liability to any chance of success we could potentially have. In other words he SUCKS and doesn’t have an excuse anymore.

I just dont understand how you watch that game last night and think that JG gave our team a chance to win. It was obvious by Chaneys playcalling that he had no faith in the QB
Throwing multiple passes into boxes full of white jerseys is not my idea of giving your team a chance to win. For having the experience he has, the game has not come to him. Today I would say he has concussion symptoms from that 3rd quarter hit and move on with M or Std. for the next several weeks. Then check the concussion symptoms again.

Reactions: Rockyjr and rkvdg
Rotate Maurer and Strout until one pulls away as the leader of the offense....Let them play and grow and figure it out as they go...At this point we got nothing to lose.
This reminds me of a quarterback "controversy" many years ago...Peyton Manning v. Branndon Stewart. After a couple of QB's went down with injuries, it was up to Manning and Stewart- I actually wanted Stewart at the time. Manning won the job and the rest is history.

Let's do it again with Shrout and Maurer...

This reminds me of a quarterback "controversy" many years ago...Peyton Manning v. Branndon Stewart. After a couple of QB's went down with injuries, it was up to Manning and Stewart- I actually wanted Stewart at the time. Manning won the job and the rest is history.

Let's do it again with Shrout and Maurer...
We honestly have no choice and nothing to risk at this point

There was one play, maybe 3rd down right before the half that Palmer ran an inside post with no over the top safety help. Wide open! literally 4 steps on the guy and would have been a TD. Instead JG throws to the flat and we may have gotten a yard. Settled for a FG. I personally didn't think JG was the answer, but I sure as hell thought he could get most of what we needed done. He really is not very good. I counted at least 3 plays last night that a wr was running wide open and would have been a big gain. He just doesn't see the field. I don't think his time here has given him the most fair shot, though. 4 coordinators? I hate it for the kid, he represents us well, but he isn't going to cut it.
You're exactly right. I saw the same thing last night from the north endzone view. Several times receivers wide open and we missed at least 3 scores. He has to be benched.

Not really. If he were "giving them a chance" that pass broken up to JJ at the goal line would have been thrown earlier and out in front. He would have caught it with a 2 or 3 yard cushion. Even earlier on that play, DWA had hit a seam up the middle and would have been an easy completion for a big gain if JG had just seen the coverage and led his receiver. "Giving the receiver a chance" only happens when you're on time. He was consistently late... which has been a rule for him since he first stepped on the field.

He was late on every throw, stared down his receivers, and can’t make it through progressions quickly enough to get the ball to the open receiver. Last year really hurt his development. He could have been a “game manager” at best. Now thrown in shell shocked on top of his deficiencies and we end up with last night. An average QB with a clean game would have been enough for a victory last night.

You're exactly right. I saw the same thing last night from the north endzone view. Several times receivers wide open and we missed at least 3 scores. He has to be benched.

This. I wasn't at the game but could see open receivers in real time or on replays. It's incredible to think/see how much yardage JG leaves on the field. Not to mention points. I thought he left at least 14 out there....but there are others who've also mentioned 3 scores.

We're 0-2 with UTC coming to town. Time to find out what our QBs behind JG can do.

Reactions: rkvdg

VN Store

Back