JG is da man ... get behind this guy

JG is the sacrificial lamb. Unless the rest of the team makes a miraculous turn around in the next 2 years, we may never know how good he could have been. Once he's gone the next qb will have greatly more mature talent around him and no one will ever appreciate JG being the bridge qb that got us back to being respectable.

I'll never hate on JG. The guy gives it everything he has. He's a kid that gives his all for Tennessee, when he easily could have bailed at any time. He's a leader. He puts in the work and always gives his best effort. He's also one of the toughest guys I've ever seen on a football field, especially considering the beating he receives on a gamely basis. We should be proud to have him as a QB, instead of all the hate I see for him despite being the best QB we've got. It's not his fault a better QB isn't available or hasn't been recruited. If there was/is/will be a better guy on the roster, we can only hope he'll give the effort that JG does.

I'll never hate on JG. The guy gives it everything he has. He's a kid that gives his all for Tennessee, when he easily could have bailed at any time. He's a leader. He puts in the work and always gives his best effort. He's also one of the toughest guys I've ever seen on a football field, especially considering the beating he receives on a gamely basis. We should be proud to have him as a QB, instead of all the hate I see for him despite being the best QB we've got. It's not his fault a better QB isn't available or hasn't been recruited. If there was/is/will be a better guy on the roster, we can only hope he'll give the effort that JG does.
Agree and if this new QB isn’t the best. He can pout on the sidelines until it’s his time. Then be unprepared and win two SEC games in two years.

Reactions: 82_VOL_83
If we had an offensive line that played as hard as JG; Tennessee would have won the East.

Reactions: XMR
Agree and if this new QB isn’t the best. He can pout on the sidelines until it’s his time. Then be unprepared and win two SEC games in two years.

He only really regrettably pouted in a significant way that 1st game his freshman year. He's been nothing but a leader ever since.

You don't. You are making up stuff like you have some insight on all the technical nuances.

No fan is breaking down game film like a coach and making detailed analysis of JG's play like the JG haters claim they do.

Dude you are just watching the game like everyone else.

And everything you have said has been wrong. When you pick who will actually start and then actually get things right about their play, maybe someone will take something you say seriously.
No need to break down film when you watch the game..

Lawrence says hello lol.
Lol

JG sure ain't the issue. Reminds me of Aikman's rookie year with Dallas.

Friend needs to step up and show that he's the OL coach that he supposed to be.

If Friend is prpmoted to OC, it will be worse than Fulmer / Sanders.

Cut drew out the NC game plan in 98, as part of the agreement, to leave for Ole Miss early, not Sanders.

We can't even block D-II teams.

Lol

JG sure ain't the issue. Reminds me of Aikman's rookie year with Dallas.

Friend needs to step up and show that he's the OL coach that he supposed to be.

If Friend is prpmoted to OC, it will be worse than Fulmer / Sanders.

Cut drew out the NC game plan in 98, as part of the agreement, to leave for Ole Miss early, not Sanders.

We can't even block D-II teams.

In fairness Friend had a lot to fix last year. That being said, it is no excuse for how bad our line performed. What is good though is this staff realized the issues and recruited the OL heavily this year. Plus we are recruiting it heavy for next year as well. This staff will get us on the right track.

I don’t see them promoting Friend to OC. He has said he doesn’t want it. I think we will be okay on the offensive front with whoever we get.

Edit: That being said JG is part of the issue. Hopefully he shows out this year or a Freshman steps up.

Reactions: Cobb-Webb 1989
In fairness Friend had a lot to fix last year. That being said, it is no excuse for how bad our line performed. What is good though is this staff realized the issues and recruited the OL heavily this year. Plus we are recruiting it heavy for next year as well. This staff will get us on the right track.

I don’t see them promoting Friend to OC. He has said he doesn’t want it. I think we will be okay on the offensive front with whoever we get.

Edit: That being said JG is part of the issue. Hopefully he shows out this year or a Freshman steps up.

JG can do the job.
He's flat on his back as soon as the ball is snapped. He's already improved, but everyone needs time in the pocket.

FWIW
Dobbs was not that great???

I can name a ton of UT QB's before Dobbs ever crosses my mind.

To compare Dobbs to an Tua is nutz

(lol)
We'll see how Lawrence does in the Natty game, but he sure can't run like Tua.

JG can do the job.
He's flat on his back as soon as the ball is snapped. He's already improved, but everyone needs time in the pocket.

FWIW
Dobbs was not that great???

I can name a ton of UT QB's before Dobbs ever crosses my mind.

To compare Dobbs to an Tua is nutz

(lol)
We'll see how Lawrence does in the Natty game, but he sure can't run like Tua.

Well I don’t know why you are talking to me about comparisons I didn’t make any.

That being said Dobb’s is an NFL QB in the two deep behind Big Ben. So he is doing something right.

Tua didn’t hardly play his Freshman year, Lawrence has. Lawrence can only improve as he plays for the next 2-3yrs. I think they are both very good QBs. JG is not even in the same category.

Look just to prove a point without talking negative about JG.

Go watch his film from this year and look at the way he sets his feet to throw.

Basic mechanics for a QB is that the QB turns his feet to the receiver he is looking at while going through his progressions in case that receiver is open. Just see if JG actually does that when he drops back and make your own assessment.
I get what you're saying but reads and progressions along with basic mechanics are ALOT easier in a clean pocket. I'm not saving JG is a world beater but he could be good with some protection and room to survey the field for a couple of seconds. When you have Olinemen like Richmond being pushed back immediately it makes things exceedingly difficult.

I get what you're saying but reads and progressions along with basic mechanics are ALOT easier in a clean pocket. I'm not saving JG is a world beater but he could be good with some protection and room to survey the field for a couple of seconds. When you have Olinemen like Richmond being pushed back immediately it makes things exceedingly difficult.

I don’t disagree. However, my one criticism for this is when he did have time he still didn’t survey the field. He waited for that one receiver to get open and that’s who he threw to. You never see him switch his feet when he has time. Because he isn’t going through his progressions.

Hopefully they fix that this year especially since I expect him to have a lot more time to throw than last year.

Reactions: BeardedVol
I don’t disagree. However, my one criticism for this is when he did have time he still didn’t survey the field. He waited for that one receiver to get open and that’s who he threw to. You never see him switch his feet when he has time. Because he isn’t going through his progressions.

Hopefully they fix that this year especially since I expect him to have a lot more time to throw than last year.
He has things to improve on. Good reps break bad habits and it's hard to get good reps when you don't get consistent play out of the Oline. I'm hoping that improves this year if not idk that JG will be able to improve.

Reactions: cHiZzLeVOL
I don't know if JG will be elite in this league but one of the things I have noticed during this recruiting cycle is big time receivers aren't lining up to catch passes from JG. That has been disappointing given the need for speed and more athleticism.

The Vols are going to have to develop a diamond in the rough that either have tremendous speed (preferably) or tremendous size. We just need someone different that what we currently have.

A prolific offense can start to influence those skill players.

Well I don’t know why you are talking to me about comparisons I didn’t make any.

That being said Dobb’s is an NFL QB in the two deep behind Big Ben. So he is doing something right.

Tua didn’t hardly play his Freshman year, Lawrence has. Lawrence can only improve as he plays for the next 2-3yrs. I think they are both very good QBs. JG is not even in the same category.

Tua smoked us his first year and pulled out the Natty too.

Lawrence is a good QB, but we'll see how he does in the NC. Has Clemson played a really tough schedule??

Two deep in the NFL is the dang practice squad, on an old and beat up Steeler's team.

You tagged me with your Lawrence post.

There's nobody on our roster better than JG and If the Oline is the same in 2019, then the Georgia QB for 2020 will de-commit.

Heck,
We need a thread to bash Will Friend.
Injuries or not we still should have blocked D-II lines.

Tua smoked us his first year and pulled out the Natty too.

Lawrence is a good QB, but we'll see how he does in the NC. Has Clemson played a really tough schedule??

Two deep in the NFL is the dang practice squad, on an old and beat up Steeler's team.

You tagged me with your Lawrence post.

There's nobody on our roster better than JG and If the Oline is the same in 2019, then the Georgia QB for 2020 will de-commit.

Heck,
We need a thread to bash Will Friend.
Injuries or not we still should have blocked D-II lines.
lol.."good"...No wonder you think think JG is good..

He has a cannon arm and he's proven he can take multiple hits during the course of a game. That aside though, if he could read a defense and adjust, he might be able to look off a primary receiver, get rid of the football quicker and stop taking multiple sacks each game. Either way I sincerely believe he will be the starter next year so regardless of what I (or anyone else here) thinks of the man, the only opinion that matters is that of Pruitt's.
JMHO

VN Store

Back