JG helping out Shrout

Even with his enviable attempt/interception ratio, and his better-than-normal performance at Auburn, halfway through 2018 247 had JG ranked as the 10th best starting QB in the SEC. At the end of the season SDS ranked him 11th. Going into 2019, 247 has him ranked at 11. Opinions and buttholes etc. , but in all reality, it's only in the eyes of a cadre of on zealots Volnation that JG's performance in 2018 has him ranked in the top 4 QBs in the conference.

Hopefully Chaney can get him closer to actually being in the top 4 by the end of 2019.
What the mid sesosn tenth ranking said

"Guarantano had multiple touchdown passes without an interception as he continues his ascension in the league QB rankings. Guarantano's biggest knock entering the season was decision-making and the narrative that SEC football moved to fast for him last fall. That's no longer an issue."

Sounds really positive to me.

Going in to the season ranking is for QB ROOM, not JG. Lack of depth and good backups are the reason for that ranking.

At least read what you post first. Lmao.

Reactions: Rocky_top08
As much as JG got hit, he probably had PTSD. No quarterback would look good with the way the offensive line played last year. He isn't perfect but he is one tough son of a gun and hopefully better offensive line play will help with both the running and passing game. Creating the right situations will help JG be an effective quarterback....imho.
JG is tough. But just imagine how good he COULD BE IF he was a bit better prepared for what he is going to see on Saturdays. A classic example is Casey Clausen. He was tough as nails. He even got into a fight with a Bama backer, after a late hit. But, he wasn't prepared, or polished. He held the ball too long. He was slow, and forced the ball into impossible situation (He had alot of confidence). Look at the difference a year of watching films, and being coachable, did for his stats, and the success of his team. They blewout Michigan, 45-17, and went 11-2. One game away from playing for the NC. JG is alot more talented and athletic than Casey ever was. I want to see JG take the initiative, and get prepared and polished. Our new OC is going to get that done!!

"Guarantano had multiple touchdown passes without an interception as he continues his ascension in the league QB rankings. Guarantano's biggest knock entering the season was decision-making and the narrative that SEC football moved to fast for him last fall. That's no longer an issue."

If they said he was a mental cripple you would think it "sounded positive". You are delusional and cling to stuff like this. They ranked him 10th. And notably you only picked out the one ranking that gave "positive" comments.

Going in to the season ranking is for QB ROOM, not JG. Lack of depth and good backups are the reason for that ranking.

He did. Did you? That eval said: " For the Vols to be a factor in the East, he'll need to show substantial improvement this fall as he enters Year 2 as Tennessee's full-time starter. "

And all it says about the back ups is that they're inexperienced. UGA has Fromm(#2) backed up by a true Fr and a walk-on. Mond is backed up by a RS Fr. At #6 they have Kelly Bryant... and not surprisingly don't even mention a back up because MU's situation was so horrible. At #8, you have MSU's Thompson and his backups aren't even mentioned. At #9 they rank UK's Wilson... WILSON... and a bad back up.

Bottom line: It is NOT primarily a ranking of the "room" but of the expected starters. Even teams where the starter is not settled...have QB's ranked ahead of JG.

Reactions: USMC-TNVOL
If they said he was a mental cripple you would think it "sounded positive". You are delusional and cling to stuff like this. They ranked him 10th. And notably you only picked out the one ranking that gave "positive" comments.

He did. Did you? That eval said: " For the Vols to be a factor in the East, he'll need to show substantial improvement this fall as he enters Year 2 as Tennessee's full-time starter. "

And all it says about the back ups is that they're inexperienced. UGA has Fromm(#2) backed up by a true Fr and a walk-on. Mond is backed up by a RS Fr. At #6 they have Kelly Bryant... and not surprisingly don't even mention a back up because MU's situation was so horrible. At #8, you have MSU's Thompson and his backups aren't even mentioned. At #9 they rank UK's Wilson... WILSON... and a bad back up.

Bottom line: It is NOT primarily a ranking of the "room" but of the expected starters. Even teams where the starter is not settled...have QB's ranked ahead of JG.
Lmao.

"Guarantano's biggest knock entering the season was decision-making and the narrative that SEC football moved to fast for him last fall. That's no longer an issue."

That literally has been your whole narrative. It has been debunked over and over again.

They are literally ranking THE QB ROOM. Either the teams have depth or a starter who won a bunch of games with good teams around them for the most part.

The writer would have ranked potential starters if he wanted to. That will come out pretty soon from several sources.

And if we want to contend to win the East JG does have to improve. No one has ever argued that point.

Just stop misrepresenting and lying about stuff that is said and written.

Also of course you lied about what they said @sjt18

About the backups

UT
"Tennessee's other signal callers on roster are far too inexperienced to seriously challenge Guarantano for QB1 honors during the spring. "

UK
"Mark Stoops could put a shorter leash on Wilson in 2019 with Gunnar Hoak continuing his development as a viable backup. Hoak graduates this spring and could choose to transfer to another program and play immediately if he feels he's too far behind Wilson once spring drills are over."

Bryant went to a NC.

All the others have multiple four or five star QBs.

We have JG and two inexperienced three stars that are not considered "viable backups."

LYING like usual to make the starting qb look bad. Pretty pathetic.

Lmao.

"Guarantano's biggest knock entering the season was decision-making and the narrative that SEC football moved to fast for him last fall. That's no longer an issue."

That literally has been your whole narrative. It has been debunked over and over again.

They are literally ranking THE QB ROOM. Either the teams have depth or a starter who won a bunch of games with good teams around them for the most part.

The writer would have ranked potential starters if he wanted to. That will come out pretty soon from several sources.

And if we want to contend to win the East JG does have to improve. No one has ever argued that point.

That article says he doesn’t have an issue right after the best game TN had in the past year and a half. Wonder what it would have said after the other games where we got blown out or how about the 14 points against Charlotte?

Also of course you lied about what they said @sjt18

About the backups

UT
"Tennessee's other signal callers on roster are far too inexperienced to seriously challenge Guarantano for QB1 honors during the spring. "
You don't even accept the meaning of words when it comes to maintaining your delusion, huh? I did not "lie". All they said about the backups was that they were inexperienced. Your own quote confirms that.

UK
"Mark Stoops could put a shorter leash on Wilson in 2019 with Gunnar Hoak continuing his development as a viable backup. Hoak graduates this spring and could choose to transfer to another program and play immediately if he feels he's too far behind Wilson once spring drills are over."
Neither is a great QB... yet Wilson is ranked ahead of your idol.

Bryant went to a NC.
But according to you it is about the whole QB group... and he doesn't have a credible back up.

All the others have multiple four or five star QBs.
Nope... and by your definition of "lying"... you just lied.

We have JG and two inexperienced three stars that are not considered "viable backups."
Another "lie", they're too inexperienced to compete for the starting job. That doesn't mean one won't be a "viable backup"... which you put in quotes although it isn't quoted. Another "lie" by you.

LYING like usual to make the starting qb look bad. Pretty pathetic.
And yet another "lie" by you. It isn't to make JG look bad but to make you look like the abject fool you are.

FWIW, these things are about worthless and are seldom accurate. If JG overcomes the problems I've consistently told you about (and you've denied), he has a chance to be a top 5 QB in the SEC. He has the receivers. Chaney is as good as they come. It sounds like the OL has taken a nice step forward. If he shows "substantial improvement"... the O will surprise people.

Reactions: 82_VOL_83
Lmao.

... And still ranked him in the bottom third of the SEC. Is there a QB they didn't say something nice about?

Because a reporter writing a fluff piece and still didn't think much of JG's performance put a positive spin in? You're just desperate.

No. They mention the other guys but are focused on the starters. Did you read the article or just glean it for quotes out of context?

Yeah... just keep swallowing. I've said repeatedly that JG has the physical ability to become a good QB. I've said that he couldn't have a better shot than playing for Chaney. Yet somehow... you can't let go of the idea that he's already "great".

Yes you have. You might "say" something like this but then you attack every legitimate, objective criticism.

Oh... the irony of this accusation.

Reactions: VOLnMiami
That article says he doesn’t have an issue right after the best game TN had in the past year and a half. Wonder what it would have said after the other games where we got blown out or how about the 14 points against Charlotte?
He looked worse at the end of the season against Vandy than he did earlier in the season... and not from a physical standpoint. They took away the 50/50 balls on the outside and he struggled.

There's a pretty massive gulf between 247 saying something nice about a QB that they ranked 10th in the SEC halfway through 2018 only to rank him 11th in early 2019 rankings and this...

Better or even with all except Tua, Lock when he is on, Fromm maybe, and Ta'amu.
JG is behind just Tua and Fromm as far as returning qbs. Qb rating point or two difference it doesn't matter. He is better than Franks and Bentley.

I'll give you points for consistency though, you've definitely picked your hill to die on.

Give me a link or links to show me the numbers above and prove it! Regardless, along with all his other stats that he is no better than 6th in the conference in most categories, besides pass efficiency. What was he from 0-9 yards? I am sure he was first or second. Yes, JG did lots of dinking and dunking!!! If you say otherwise, I want to see proof online somewhere.
Here is where the long passing plays data is from: cfbstats.com - 2018 Southeastern Conference Player Leaders

You can find passing attempts anywhere, but they are on that site as well.

1552694443026.png

247 has UT ranked 11th. And despite k-town's protestations... the starter or projected starter is the focus. All three of the teams listed behind UT have new starters. So UT is ranked worst among teams with returning starters. That's not the worst. They also rank two teams ahead of UT that don't have established starters- MSU and Auburn.... if you don't count Mizzou who starts a guy I really like... but who was ultimately beaten out by a Fr at Clemson.

It takes some really sophisticated self-deception to convince one's self this isn't a statement on JG.

I HOPE he will put in the hard work and he and Chaney can turn it around. I HOPE he embarrasses these writers. OTOH, this IS a statement on his performance so far.

247 has UT ranked 11th. And despite k-town's protestations... the starter or projected starter is the focus. All three of the teams listed behind UT have new starters. So UT is ranked worst among teams with returning starters. That's not the worst. They also rank two teams ahead of UT that don't have established starters- MSU and Auburn.... if you don't count Mizzou who starts a guy I really like... but who was ultimately beaten out by a Fr at Clemson.

It takes some really sophisticated self-deception to convince one's self this isn't a statement on JG.

I HOPE he will put in the hard work and he and Chaney can turn it around. I HOPE he embarrasses these writers. OTOH, this IS a statement on his performance so far.

"We've combed through the depth charts in the SEC and ranked the league's quarterback rooms from top to bottom heading into spring practice with an emphasis on returning production and potential. "

You see where it says "Ranked the leagues QUARTERBACK ROOMS?"
Nowhere does it say "Ranking the starter".

"We've combed through the depth charts in the SEC and ranked the league's quarterback rooms from top to bottom heading into spring practice with an emphasis on returning production and potential. "

Nowhere does it say "Ranking the starter". K-town is right on this matter and you are 100 percent wrong.
That is why i didn't even reply. He won't even acknowledge facts. No point in responding. They clearly said what they meant.

Nowhere does it say "Ranking the starter".
The bold above is ONLY JG. Neither of the other two guys have played a CFB down.

The "quarterback room" when you have a returning starter who is anticipated to start... is a measure of what they think of the starter. Several of the evals didn't even mention the back ups. Some ranked ahead of UT like Mizzou have a worse back up situation than UT. You are attempting to deflect how much of this is focused on their opinion of JG. If they thought he were as good as Bryant... UT wouldn't have the lowest ranked "QB room" with a returning starter.

FWIW, both of UT's back ups were Elite 11 QBs where they earned high praise. So their "potential" on paper is mid-pack at worst. They aren't "trash" like you guys suggest in your attempts to deny this has anything to do with JG.

Last edited:
That is why i didn't even reply. He won't even acknowledge facts. No point in responding. They clearly said what they meant.
Here's a "fact" you and he failed to acknowledge... "For the Vols to be a factor in the East, he'll (JG) need to show substantial improvement this fall as he enters Year 2 as Tennessee's full-time starter."

Not "some" improvement. Not "modest" improvement. Not improvement by someone else... Not improvement by the other two guys (though that would obviously help)... Not the minor, negligible tweaks you've grudgingly proposed... "substantial" improvement from JG.

And another thing you conveniently ignore while still claiming I "lie" about JG. I have repeatedly said things like he doesn't throw to the middle of the field, does not hit hot routes, and does not make good pre-snap reads. I told you several weeks back that Chaney would force him to do it or else replace him. You denied that the problems I pointed to even existed. Then lo and behold... JG has an interview where he talks about being "given the freedom" to make hot reads, line calls, use more of the field, etc... the things I said he either could not or was not allowed to do... and you said he was doing. JG spun it positive as he should have. But make no mistake, the bar has been raised... Chaney isn't going to protect him from mistakes like the last two OC's did. Flip or fly.

Last edited:
raw

The bold above is ONLY JG. Neither of the other two guys have played a CFB down.

The "quarterback room" when you have a returning starter who is anticipated to start... is a measure of what they think of the starter. Several of the evals didn't even mention the back ups. Some ranked ahead of UT like Mizzou have a worse back up situation than UT. You are attempting to deflect how much of this is focused on their opinion of JG. If they thought he were as good as Bryant... UT wouldn't have the lowest ranked "QB room" with a returning starter.

FWIW, both of UT's back ups were Elite 11 QBs where they earned high praise. So their "potential" on paper is mid-pack at worst. They aren't "trash" like you guys suggest in your attempts to deny this has anything to do with JG.
Shrout never attended the Opening.

Reactions: k-town_king

Yea two three stars, one of which only had us and Cal as p5 offers, are highly touted. Especially when the other teams have multiple four and five stars with 10 plus p5 offers as backups.

Who has said the backups are trash? They just aren't big time recruits. Maurer will be good. I bet if Bailey were here the ROOM wouldn't be ranked so low. Then we would have to 2 four or five star QBs. Instead of one and a couple three stars who have never taken a snap.

Once again they will release a ranking of projected starters. That will focus solely on JG. Then bash away. Until then just face reality.

Bryant has a four star backup and also went to a NC. Jg is a better passer. Bryant is a better runner with better backups and more wins. Not surprising Mizzou is higher.

Those numbers are all while JG is getting put in the dirt every play. If they had a "completion % while getting smashed by a defender" stat line, JG would undoubtably be at the top of the list.

Yes, JG needs to read defenses pre-snap better. That's common knowledge. I'm sure coach Chaney is emphasizing that. JG has all the tools to be a great quarterback in the SEC next year. All the hate on him is ridiculous. No, he's not Tua Tagovailoa. He's not going to be a heisman frontrunner. But he can win us some ball games. I think he can be every bit as good if not better than Jake Fromm and some of the others. Another year in the system learning under a legit coaching staff and a QB guru, with an improved offensive line...Instead of all the hate, I feel like he should be on the breakout player to watch list.

Stand corrected.

Maybe you can help me remember where it was that observers said he had NFL potential? Was it just 7 on 7 competitions?
It was a camp in California that he attended. Several camp counselors were former NFL players and they praised his potential. It got written up in an article before his senior season.

VN Store

Back