JG gets a ton of blame- our Rushing Offense has been even worse

Ky,ole miss, ms st had a combined record of 16-20. Leading the SEC in rushing means nothing except a very dismal passing attack.
Ole Miss really drags that record down...the other two at least went to bowl games.

but yeah, none of those teams scared you threw the air....so point taken.

Ky,ole miss, ms st had a combined record of 16-20. Leading the SEC in rushing means nothing except a very dismal passing attack.
We need a balanced attack for our offense to be successful, we throw for 220/game and rush for 140/gm, you tell me which needs to improve if we are going to have a balanced attack that produces 400+ yards per game.

Reactions: SmilezDavis
When passing sux, defenses load up on running game.
When running game sux, defenses load up on the passing game.
When OL sucks, Passing and rushing both suffer and defenses thrive.

We've suffered from all three. I think we have turned a corner with at least two of those aspects.

Last edited:
2020 IS going to be the "next season", the one we've been hearing about for at least a decade, CJP is taking us to a NATY. Year after year after year, we hear, "Next season xyz will happen, then look out.....", well, happy days, Next Season is Here!

When passing sux, defenses load up on running game.
When running game sux, defenses load up on the passing game.
When OL sucks, Passing and rushing both suffer and defenses thrive.

We've been suffered from all three. I think we have turned a corner with at least two of those aspects.
Finally, some sense.

You cant compare UT's inability to run against a stacked box to a team that runs the ball well against one and act like that's proof that just because some teams can run without passing then we should be able to. IMO JG's untrustworthyness (as proven in the Bama QB sneak fiasco) hinders the playcalling and we become all the more stale and predictable. Defenses pick up on this and offensively we lack the leadership and confidence to snap out of it. Offenses need momentum and hope of something positive happening that with JG in, isn't there. Defenses need offense to hold the ball and score to keep them playing too. I don't think JG consistently provides anything other than dissonance and frustration.

Reactions: rkvdg
So do we want to fire Chaney now? I'm so confused.
He’s been here one year and his impact was pretty minimal. When you look at the experience at WR and decent TE and RBs and a much more skilled OL, it’s pretty sad how little production they had. Everyone can blame JG but he was more efficient under Helton. IMO, Chaney’s impact was disappointing. The bowl game was a major concern as the offense looked horrid for three quarters.

You cant compare UT's inability to run against a stacked box to a team that runs the ball well against one and act like that's proof that just because some teams can run without passing then we should be able to.

You absolutely can and should.. Why is there all of a sudden an excuse when it comes to our rushing offense? there's no reason we should be 12/14 with the supposedly improved o line play. Hopefully next year we improve but we absolutely should expect more from our run game.

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan
You absolutely can and should.. Why is there all of a sudden an excuse when it comes to our rushing offense? there's no reason we should be 12/14 with the supposedly improved o line play. Hopefully next year we improve but we absolutely should expect more from our run game.
Im not saying we shouldn't expect more. I'm just saying that until we can open up the playbook and trust the QB we will be at a disadvantage.
Ever played someone who almost always runs?
It's a lot easier to stop than when you have no clue what's coming.
JG limits what you can do.

Last edited:
Reactions: rkvdg
Pass offense 221.38 yards/game (8/14 in SEC)
Rush offense 144.15 yards/game (12/14 in SEC)

Pass offense: 196.4 yards/game (11/14 in SEC)
Rushing offense: 129.1 yards/game (14/14 in SEC)

Don't want to post the stats, dead last in both…

JG takes a ton of criticism and I agree some of it is warranted. I don't notice the same energy when it comes to our rushing offense, it's been terrible the past 3 years. To get to the next level our entire offense needs to improve, including the line (graded 113/130 teams last year).
OL had been ***** trash at run blocking for 3 years now

Stacking the box shouldn't equal last in the SEC in rushing yards.. at some point you have to consider it terrible run offense.
I have to say your complex analysis is truly striking. Dang I forgot to hit blue font.

“Shouldn’t”......such a loaded word. UT shouldn’t ever lose to team x, y, or z. Except sometimes those other teams are better. UT shouldn’t ever be last in the SEC in...anything. Whatever. We’ve been a very bad team. This season the run and pass offenses improved, 2 and 3 spots respectively. We weren’t a good offensive team. Inconsistent and reliant on big plays from WRs.

But it did improve. Our OL featured 1 very good player who couldn’t practice, 1 solid Sr. coming off a missed season due to injury, 2 true Fr, and a carousel of guys filling out the line. I’m not sure why you’re surprised this didn’t result in a powerful run game that could run the ball consistently vs defenses that knew what was coming.

This is BS. 3 of the top 4 rushing teams in the league had no passing game whatsoever. There is also this thing called video and when used to watch games you'd see that teams last season actually dropped 7 into coverage much more often than stacking the line and bringing 6 or more.
lol based on whos scale his //hers..each game////each person match up?...you watch espn to much

He’s been here one year and his impact was pretty minimal. When you look at the experience at WR and decent TE and RBs and a much more skilled OL, it’s pretty sad how little production they had. Everyone can blame JG but he was more efficient under Helton. IMO, Chaney’s impact was disappointing. The bowl game was a major concern as the offense looked horrid for three quarters.

I'm sorry I got stuck arguing with you JG worshipers, let's let 1 fact sink in. We started 2 true freshmen lineman. Ok.

P.S. you can fix a broken internal clock

That is one play where he made a bad call. It was bad b/c there wasn’t a call for him to make.
How was no call available to make and doesn't lack of available call if true confirm that options with him in the game are limited?

We struggled to run the ball with Chaney under Dooley, and that was with a very explosive passing game. I honestly expected us to be worse at running the ball in ‘19 than we were.
That being said, Chaney appeared to evolve his offense over the season, and we (obviously) finished much stronger than we started in play calling and execution. Once our O-line woke up and started throwing dudes around, our running game actually started getting some respect.

So what was the excuse this past year? Or did we still have the worst Oline in the nation in 2019?
2 true freshmen starting and your AA guard had like a month of practice plus no All SEC RB?
It's not really a surprise to me that the team was much improved by the end of the year.
Still a long way to go, but just say.

Lulz. 100% false. Making calls at the line was arguably JG’s biggest asset last season. Hell, it’s really not even arguable.
Just because he was better than a true freshman doesn’t mean he was proficient. Good grief. You people set an awfully low bar for him and them claim success.

Reactions: whodeycin85
It was better but like what are you looking for? We run a pro style offense. It’s not that hard to stop especially when JG at the helm
Pro offenses require pros.
what’s funny is that pro teams aren’t even running pro offenses anymore. At least not in the traditional sense. That’s why Chaney’s offense is behind. It’s antiquated and really is nothing more than complicated. It used to be that good teams could just run complicated offenses, but as defenses evolved being complex wasn’t enough.

Georgia may have goofed the first replacement hire (promoted within) but I think Monken will be a success. He’ll thrive on all the talent down there. UGA fans were ready to see Chaney go and word is he wasn’t going to be extended.

VN Store

Back