JG gets a ton of blame- our Rushing Offense has been even worse

irish1485

⬅️ my reaction watching Vol football since 2006
Pass offense 221.38 yards/game (8/14 in SEC)
Rush offense 144.15 yards/game (12/14 in SEC)

Pass offense: 196.4 yards/game (11/14 in SEC)
Rushing offense: 129.1 yards/game (14/14 in SEC)

Don't want to post the stats, dead last in both…

JG takes a ton of criticism and I agree some of it is warranted. I don't notice the same energy when it comes to our rushing offense, it's been terrible the past 3 years. To get to the next level our entire offense needs to improve, including the line (graded 113/130 teams last year).

The good teams know that all you need to do is stack the box against Tennessee. Until the Vols can take the top off the defenses with an actual down field passing attack, the rushing numbers will continue to be poor.
This is BS. 3 of the top 4 rushing teams in the league had no passing game whatsoever. There is also this thing called video and when used to watch games you'd see that teams last season actually dropped 7 into coverage much more often than stacking the line and bringing 6 or more.

The good teams know that all you need to do is stack the box against Tennessee. Until the Vols can take the top off the defenses with an actual down field passing attack, the rushing numbers will continue to be poor.

Ok let's say this statement is true.. that's still no reason to be basically dead last in the SEC in rushing the last 3 years.

Teams weren't really stacking the box against us last year..

Ok let's say this statement is true.. that's still no reason to be basically dead last in the SEC in rushing the last 3 years.

Teams weren't really stacking the box against us last year..

There is no doubt it is true. Just watch the BYU game again if you have any doubt.

It was the only way they were able to stay in the game in the first place. It was by far the best example all season.

Reactions: I40flyer
There is no doubt it is true. Just watch the BYU game again if you have any doubt.

It was the only way they were able to stay in the game in the first place. It was by far the best example all season.
It was also the best example of Chaney's predictable playcalling. Motion to bunch was a Toss Crack. Line up in Ace, motion TE across formation was Stretch/OZ. No power, counter trey, Iso, trap, etc.

Reactions: 99Vol
Omg it hurts to try to understand why people don't understand the most basic principle to a good running team. The D# must respect the passing game or there just going to stack the box. The fact that No one could stop Kentucky means they had a great line. But with the way teams load the box with JG you get wide open receivers and he cant deliver. He will have about 2 great games, but with teams loading the box with 7 to 8 defenders the middle is wide open and he cant hit a receiver in stride to save his life.

I'll be really glad when JG finally leaves UT, not because I hate the kid or anything but the bickering back and forth between his haters and worshipers has gotten really old

I mean this is a message board.. Any input on our pass/run offense or nah?

Reactions: goldvol
I think folks are sold out on hating on JG and not realizing how valid this point actually is. (Not a JG fan here either)

Sure, against Bama, FL, and UGA a passing threat is needed, but our inability to establish the run cost us the BYU and GA St games. Neither of those teams are talented enough that they should be able to shut down our run game. Kentucky could have won those with their offense at the end of the year. (They almost beat us with 0 ZERO passing threat).

We absolutely have not been effective and consistent running the ball, and the trick to a good passing game is pulling guys in the box to stop the run.....See that goes both ways.

Last edited:
Omg it hurts to try to understand why people don't understand the most basic principle to a good running team. The D# must respect the passing game or there just going to stack the box. The fact that No one could stop Kentucky means they had a great line. But with the way teams load the box with JG you get wide open receivers and he cant deliver. He will have about 2 great games, but with teams loading the box with 7 to 8 defenders the middle is wide open and he cant hit a receiver in stride to save his life.

Stacking the box shouldn't equal last in the SEC in rushing yards.. at some point you have to consider it terrible run offense.

Last edited:
Stacking the box shouldn't equal last in the SEC in rushing yards.. at some point you have to consider it terrible run offense.

Sure wish our staff new that all they had to do was stack the box during this game. Teams without a passing attack can’t score obviously.

Auburn vs. Tennessee - Box Score - November 9, 2013 - ESPN

Or even this one. Those 25 yards through the air really had us respecting the pass game and opening the door for over 200 yards on the ground.

Tennessee vs. Kentucky - Game Summary - November 9, 2019 - ESPN

Reactions: bagofvols
Omg it hurts to try to understand why people don't understand the most basic principle to a good running team. The D# must respect the passing game or there just going to stack the box. The fact that No one could stop Kentucky means they had a great line.

Having a great OL was only part of the reason UK had a great running game. Having a true athlete at QB, who could run veer and triple option concepts, schemes SEC defenses simply do not spend much, if any, time practicing against, gave Stoops a unique offense in the SEC that most of the defenses UK played were unable to handle. UT and UGA were the only 2 defenses to really contain that offense, and UT did it by basically playing a 'bend but don't break defense and eliminating the long, breakaway TD runs, which, with the exception of the short TD following the muffed punt, forced UK into having to score on long drives, as evidenced by the first possession, which was a 17 play drive.

Pass offense 221.38 yards/game (8/14 in SEC)
Rush offense 144.15 yards/game (12/14 in SEC)

Pass offense: 196.4 yards/game (11/14 in SEC)
Rushing offense: 129.1 yards/game (14/14 in SEC)

Don't want to post the stats, dead last in both…

JG takes a ton of criticism and I agree some of it is warranted. I don't notice the same energy when it comes to our rushing offense, it's been terrible the past 3 years. To get to the next level our entire offense needs to improve, including the line (graded 113/130 teams last year).
Bro we’ve had the worst Oline in the nation... good lord y’all are bored

Pruitt truly inherited an underdeveloped team from Butch. 2017 was the lowest I have ever seen UT. I don't count 2018 against Pruitt because he got here late and the whole year felt like trying to catch up. 2019 felt like another learning year and still trying to get players developed from the negligence of the Butch years. As 2019 dragged on, our players definitely got better all around. 2020 should tell us so much about our current coach and if he is able to succeed. If he does, 2021 and on is lookin tasty.

How many time are you going to post this video....??? He made a good throw...that led a wr. Awsome. Lets post his IU pick for fun as well. Lol
I could show you the 5 straight completions he had down the stretch vs Indiana that helped the Vols win their bowl game. You would just find a way to poo on those as well. You neverJG guys are never right.

This is true and our O-line was terrible the first 2 years. But JG still is a big cause because teams just stacked the box against us. They knew JG would probably not be able to beat them throwing the ball. Got to be able to throw well to open it up.

Reactions: rkvdg

VN Store

Back