JG and Quarterback Transfers

If JG had an OL, then his completion % would probably not be as high and therefore you would probably not think so highly of him. Most of his passes are short dump passes due to the OL not being any good. Hard to get those picked off and easy to complete but VERY difficult to score any points when that is your passing game.

JG is a slightly below average QB in the SEC and if anyone behind him was not a freshman or a grad transfer then he would not have been the starter. He has not shown any progression in 2 years of reading blitzes, checking out of a bad play, or getting rid of the ball quicker, that is on him. Yeah he has had a few different head coaches, OC's, and such but so have the other players and most of them have shown improvement.

Lik eeinstein said, doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results is an act of lunacy. sticking with JG and expecting that all of the sudden he is going to become a really top of the pack QB in this league is insane. He will continue to get slightly below average results. His rating out of high school was overstated mainly because his faults are easy to cover up in high school. Camps do not focus on the management of the game, just the physical side of being a QB, hence why he was rated so high.
I have two words for you, Jonathan Crompton.

If there was a better QB than JG why didn't the coaches start him? Because there never was a QB behind him that was good enough. Does anyone really believe CJP is going to play favorites and keep the best player on the bench? It doesn't make any sense and actually goes against everything he has always said since day one. Nobody just has any starting job and everything was always up for grabs by the best. Maybe by JG's senior year he'll have a good line protecting him and I hope for that next year, but we'll just have to see how it plays out. I don't think anyone is taking his job next year. 2020, maybe. Let the best QB play and I really dont care who it is.
Because even though we would all like to see JG transfer CJP cant afford that. He couldn't afford to start the better QB and then have JG transfer and be stuck with rookies. Instead CJP decided JG would basically be cannon fodder for another year or two until they can develop a real QB who knows how to do the fundamentals, like throw TD's, scramble, read a defense, and check down passing options.

Because even though we would all like to see JG transfer CJP cant afford that. He couldn't afford to start the better QB and then have JG transfer and be stuck with rookies. Instead CJP decided JG would basically be cannon fodder for another year or two until they can develop a real QB who knows how to do the fundamentals, like throw TD's, scramble, read a defense, and check down passing options.

If you believe this, you are too biased to see what actually happened. KC got opportunities to play, especially late. He started strong against Bama and Missouri, then he finished terribly. It was obvious to just about everyone after watching KC play that he wasn't better than what we already had. Most people down on JG admitted as much. This is a theory you've developed in your head to help make sense of your narrative. There is zero, and I mean ZERO evidence that what you said is true.

He's a "meh" qb that will continue to generate "meh" results. Stats are BS; W-L is all that matters. Steve Allatore redux. Also he's still by far the best they have.
Steve Allatore now that’s a name I haven’t heard around here in a very long time. Nice! Pretty good until the knee got swiped

If you believe this, you are too biased to see what actually happened. KC got opportunities to play, especially late. He started strong against Bama and Missouri, then he finished terribly. It was obvious to just about everyone after watching KC play that he wasn't better than what we already had. Most people down on JG admitted as much. This is a theory you've developed in your head to help make sense of your narrative. There is zero, and I mean ZERO evidence that what you said is true.
There is plenty of evidence that this is true. Your inability to see that isn't my concern.

Reactions: OJ and 82_VOL_83
like JG a lot and believe he'll be better next season...he's got to going forward or we're in deep Kimchi...

GO JG AND GO VOLS...RECRUIT LIKE HECK!

Reactions: 82_VOL_83
JG isn't the problem. But he's also not the answer. He isn't a game changer or a playmaker. Give him a better o-line and he'll look better but he's a game manager. Nothing disrespectful about it as most college qbs aren't game changers/playmakers.

He won't weigh the team down, but he isn't going to take over a game either.

Too bad we don't have an OC to teach all that.

Reactions: FLVOL_79
I dont know about 14 but the obvious are ....
2 at Alabama
2 at UGA
Bentley at South Carolina
Lock at Mizzu
Shurmur (sp?) At Vandy
Mond from TAM
Taamu from Miss
Fitzgerald from MSST
Sthidam from Auburn
Burrow from LSU

Stidham frow auburn????? mayne you should rethink that

Where do you rank JG in the list of UT QBs? He's not top 10 by any ;stretch of the imagination (not even top 15). He's just OK (I"m one of the 80%) but OK won't win more than 5-7 games per year with UT's schedule.

Watch Tom Brady against the Broncos the year Peyton won his last Super Bowl. They beat him to death. Guess he just held onto the ball too long and failed to make presnap reads.
Look up the word aberration. Might want to apply that to your example.

Tend to agree with most of this. I know the OL has issues but with JGs inability to read the D he probably is not doing them any favors getting his protections right. Again. That’s JMO. I do think he will improve with this and the new bodies on the line will help. I just think it’s more of a combination of JG not reading the D and adjusting, coupled with a weak OL rather than a mutually exclusive issue.
I completely agree. I am just saying, independent of that, he could take steps (pun intended) to lower the punishment he is taking. Foot work, move out of the pocket, and actually keeping the ball more than once in a blue moon.

If you believe this, you are too biased to see what actually happened. KC got opportunities to play, especially late. He scored points against Bama and Missouri, then he finished terribly. It was obvious to just about everyone after watching KC play that he wasn't better than what we already had. Most people down on JG admitted as much. This is a theory you've developed in your head to help make sense of your narrative. There is zero, and I mean ZERO evidence that what you said is true.
fyp

JG isn't the problem. But he's also not the answer. He isn't a game changer or a playmaker. Give him a better o-line and he'll look better but he's not a game manager. Nothing disrespectful about it as most college qbs aren't game changers/playmakers.

He won't weigh the team down, but he isn't going to take over a game either.
fify maybe?

I completely agree. I am just saying, independent of that, he could take steps (pun intended) to lower the punishment he is taking. Foot work, move out of the pocket, and actually keeping the ball more than once in a blue moon.
He can do that, but he's getting hit a lot before he even finishes his drop. I don't think he's great but Nothing matters until we fix the interior of the o-line.

Oh. You got me. I lose.

Against Missouri:

KC - 7-19 173 yards, 0 TD, 2 Interceptions

Against Alabama:

KC - Started a drive at Bama 36 after Guarantano led the there from the Tennessee 25. Then went 5-7 130 yards and 2 TDs before halftime

After halftime went 4-8 for 34 yards and was sacked for a safety.

What happened after halftime? It's called defensive adjustments. Not to mention, Alabama would have even been subbing in the second half.

fify maybe?
Maybe just a different definition of game manager.

IMO, game managers are just ok/average qbs. They aren't bad enough to cause a team to lose, but they're aren't the drivers for wins either. Average stats. Doesn't take over and win games by himself. A team can win with a game manager for a qb if they have a strong defense and a good run game. A Trent Dilfer.

Reactions: 82_VOL_83
Maybe just a different definition of game manager.

IMO, game managers are just ok/average qbs. They aren't bad enough to cause a team to lose, but they're aren't the drivers for wins either. Average stats. Doesn't take over and win games by himself. A team can win with a game manager for a qb if they have a strong defense and a good run game. A Trent Dilfer.
That's exactly what I think Guarantano is at this point.

Simply not true. He was in the top half of the league in Yards per Attempt tied with Drew Lock and ahead of Kyle Shurmur (not saying the 3 are comparable, just that they're making similar throws) .....and it's not like we had burners on the outside inflating the numbers with YAC.

He definitely has deficiencies, but he's hard to evaluate based on his surrounding cast.

You must work for CNN, using stats to make your argument but manipulating the way those same stats are introduced in order to make your point seem valid. If I were to oly use YPA as a determination of good then Benny Snell is the best QB in the SEC as his YPA is 43.1 even though he only threw 1 pass last year. Drew Lock threw over 150 more passes than JG did, threw for more than 1200 more yards and more than twice the number of TD's. But you dont wanna mention that Locke threw 150 more passes.

JG is
8th in rating,
6th in YPA,
12th in completions,
14th in attempts,
11th in yards,
8th in completion %,
11th in TD's

Middle of the pack stats for a middle of the pack QB. If that is god enough for you the so be it, some of us would rather our QB be in the top part of these stats.

I can hear it now the, "he has a terrible OL line and does not get much time" well that is very true, but think about the snaps when he DOES have time. He still stares down his receiver, he still does not check out of a bad play, he still holds the ball to long, usually under throws the deep ball, and he CANNOT read a blitz, so what makes you think he is gonna be able to do all this stuff when he has an OL?

So, once again, much like KC last year, those of us that saw some obvious flaws in JG play wanted to see KC and see what he could do. You say if JG had a better line he would perform at a lower level? I say you don't know how he would do. He has shown that he has the ability, given time in the pocket to make things happen. The issue is that when he is hurried constantly, he stares down a receiver then either throws a short pass for a complete/incomplete or gets killed. I see errors that he should be overcoming, but we either get him protection because he really hasn't had time to learn enough to slow the game or we get another QB. I repeat, you don't know what JG would do with a better line and another .5 to 1 second to make decisions. I would like to see him behind a line that gives him that time and then make my decisions once and for all.

So when he does have time he suddenly does not stare down his target? He does not hold the ball too long? He reads the blitz perfectly and hit the hot receiver? He does not nuder throw deep balls and the receivers just get to keep running without stopping to make the catch? He checks out of a bad play and into the right one?

Having a OL that gives him time will not change any of his faults. He could have with practice and film but I would imaging the time he works on his game is not working on his faults but rather the things he does well. If he worked on his faults we would see improvement and we do not. In 2 years he has not gotten better and any of the things above.

VN Store

Back