JG and Quarterback Transfers

Jarrett Gaurantano has played 21 games.
To some capacity he has played in 21 contests over his career thus far.
In 21 games...he has thrown for 2,900 yards and 16 tds....
That's like 140 yards PASSING and .75 TD's a game.

From everything I've heard about the kid personally is that hes' a good kid who practices hard.
This is stuff you can read about in articles.

But he's supposed to be playing QB!...Okay. The most pivotal position on a football team.
How can...AND WHY SHOULD anyone defend that lack of production?????

I've seen people say "He's actually pretty decent, it's just that...(etc)"
AYFKM?!

How about this just this year? 2018...12 games?
-12 tds in 2018...in 12 games...

So in that same amount of time (21 games). Tiquan Marshall (Ga Tech QB)
has thrown for 15 tds....
Georgia Tech runs the Triple-Option.

From everything I've heard about the kid personally is that hes' a good kid who practices hard.

But he's supposed to be playing QB!...Okay. The most pivotal position on a football team.

AYFKM?!

Its quite easy to defend his performances. Lets use the NFL as an analogy. Now, firstly, I am not using this to say JG is or will EVER be even remotely in the universe of the guy I am gonna talk about. I am just going to use the guy in context to my argument.

Lets take Aaron Rodgers. A statistically spectacular QB. But his stats are kind of down this year. Now, what do people say is the reason? You hear well his defense isnt any good, his OL, his WRs, his coach or his play caller. Never him. The point?

Its simple. Is TN as a team good? No we are not. We caught lightning in a bottle twice this past season. In those 2 big wins, JG played well. Was he elite? No. But lets also factor in that our WRs had one of the highest drop rates in the SEC. how many times did we see the WRs and TEs drop big passes? Yes,JG had his fair share of dumb throws as well. Many times he played like crap. But context matters.

How many HCs and OCs has JG played under? How about strength and conditioning coaches? This past year was the first year he had a QB coach. Now that coach is gone. How about the defense? How good did it play? All this stuff matters. You can call me a JG fanboy all you want. But until we see some vast improvement in this team, I expect JG to continue to struggle.

Biggest thing with JG is until this year he had yet to be developed at all. Sure, he got some game experience while Butch was here. From a development standpoint he was probably what you would expect to see from a freshman QB. By that I mean, as far as being able to read a defense, and anticipate his throws. JG has not done enough to sell me he is definitely the one to get us to where we all want the program to be. Physically I think he has the raw ability to be successful. I do think he will benefit greatly by having actual coaches around him to help him develop. Hopefully it all comes together for him and the light bulb clicks on.

Reactions: 82_VOL_83

AYFKM?!

But records, but he's tough, but he's already practicing, but....

It's funny how similar the arguments are about every QB. To this day, there's a poster here that will tell you the downfall of the program was Erik Ainge.

It's funny how similar the arguments are about every QB. To this day, there's a poster here that will tell you the downfall of the program was Erik Ainge.

I remember people saying Casey Clausen sucked. My we have been a spoiled bunch over the years

Reactions: VolNExile
Who has the better OL and running game, GT or TN?

Our run protection is by far worse than our pass protection and as has been pointed out, JG had a clean pocket on 72% of passing attempts in 2018.

Thd oline was not, nor has it ever been responsible for all of JG's problem as a QB.

So still in the bottom half. Add to that 2 backup qbs in the league that everyone would take over him, and he is definitely in the bottom 3rd.

If you could say that after normalizing for the quality of each team's supporting staff, I would agree with you. JG has outperformed his supporting staff. Our offensive line has to be near the bottom of the SEC, and our receiving targets are probably below average, even when healthy. If you really drill down into the stats, JG was 1st in the SEC amongst qualified QBs in percentage of passes resulting in an interception thrown. That is impressive! He was also 6th in yards per pass attempt category. Those are really the two most important stats that coaches harp on... 1) taking care of the football and 2) getting as many yards per play as you can.

I'm not saying JG is perfect. I'm not a JG fanboy. He needs to continue to improve. But he does make smart decisions when throwing the football (though not quickly enough as a general rule). And he does have legit arm talent. He is, in my opinion, no where near the worst in the SEC. If we had hired a more pass-friendly coaching staff, I think our discussion about JG would be entirely different.

Reactions: k-town_king
Our run protection is by far worse than our pass protection and as has been pointed out, JG had a clean pocket on 72% of passing attempts in 2018.

Thd oline was not, nor has it ever been responsible for all of JG's problem as a QB.
Where did you get that stat? Not disputing the number... I just think it'd be an interesting stat to look at compared to other teams since at times it felt like we couldn't block anybody.

If you could say that after normalizing for the quality of each team's supporting staff, I would agree with you. JG has outperformed his supporting staff. Our offensive line has to be near the bottom of the SEC, and our receiving targets are probably below average, even when healthy. If you really drill down into the stats, JG was 1st in the SEC amongst qualified QBs in percentage of passes resulting in an interception thrown. That is impressive! He was also 6th in yards per pass attempt category. Those are really the two most important stats that coaches harp on... 1) taking care of the football and 2) getting as many yards per play as you can.

I'm not saying JG is perfect. I'm not a JG fanboy. He needs to continue to improve. But he does make smart decisions when throwing the football (though not quickly enough as a general rule). And he does have legit arm talent. He is, in my opinion, no where near the worst in the SEC. If we had hired a more pass-friendly coaching staff, I think our discussion about JG would be entirely different.
I think JG should have started this year and thought he was okay. I acutally think he was hindered by our coaching staff offensive gameplan in most of the games.
That said I think if you compare him to other SEC QBs, most would start over him.
As for the future, the qb that gives us the best chance to win should start and if his name is JG so be it.

Reactions: 82_VOL_83

AYFKM?!

If you wanted a pass-prolific offense, you would have supported JC hiring Mike Leach. Pruitt doesn't roll that way. Despite losing 7 games in 2018, meaning we were often trailing and should be throwing more, Pruitt/Helton had 297 pass attempts and 419 rushing attempts. A nearly 60/40 run to pass ratio. That's Fulmer ball in the 90s. Maybe they didn't throw it because they didn't believe in JG, maybe they didn't trust the OL, maybe their passing scheme sucked, I don't know. But criticizing the gross numbers that only come from increased pass attempts seems misplaced. If anything, you should be asking what kind of return we got on the running game that we devoted 3 out of 5 plays to. Hint: not much good...historically pathetic 3.7 yards per attempt, which is less than half of JG's fairly good 7.8 yards per pass attempt.

Was it completely responsible? No. But you and some others need to stop thinking that an OL does not have a severe impact on QBs performance. Why you cannot realize the importance of a good OL is staggering.

Biggest thing with JG is until this year he had yet to be developed at all. Sure, he got some game experience while Butch was here. From a development standpoint he was probably what you would expect to see from a freshman QB. By that I mean, as far as being able to read a defense, and anticipate his throws. JG has not done enough to sell me he is definitely the one to get us to where we all want the program to be. Physically I think he has the raw ability to be successful. I do think he will benefit greatly by having actual coaches around him to help him develop. Hopefully it all comes together for him and the light bulb clicks on.
The game has to slow down. My first issue is the lack of an OL that will allow this. The second is his lack of being able to defend himself with his feet and his head. KC made better reads than JG does. KC made better timing throws. KC turned the ball over more. I think JG was/is the all around better athlete. NO ONE can yet say that JG is anything more than average. Can he be? I personally don't know. The reason I don't know isn't that I've never played, I have, more than some, probably about as much as most. I watch as much as I can. Both NCAA and NFL. I really can't recall EVER seeing a QB take as much punishment as JG and still function. But on the other hand, I have never seen a QB with the absolute inability to defend himself in some manner. I guarantee you that he has never been told to stand still, not roll out to avoid a hit, throw the ball away to avoid a sack, and to never run the football. Simple foot movement, mobility, and running the football more than once in a while would make him a better QB. This is something that a QB a good as he was rated should know coming out of HS. I'm not sure that he has the football IQ that he/we need to make the right decisions at the right time. Like everyone that looks at this objectively, I hope he proves me wrong next year. I will make a thread and say I'm wrong. I will apologize profusely. I just don't see it happening.

My Dad hated Casey Clausen and at the time thought Brandon Stewart should've started over Peyton Manning.
I didn't like Casey at the time off the field. He played incredibly tough and won a lot of games. He sounded like a moron in off field interviews. I would love to have him back.

Was it completely responsible? No. But you and some others need to stop thinking that an OL does not have a severe impact on QBs performance. Why you cannot realize the importance of a good OL is staggering.
There has not been one poster that I remember saying that the OL wasn't a big part of our problem.

The game has to slow down. My first issue is the lack of an OL that will allow this. The second is his lack of being able to defend himself with his feet and his head. KC made better reads than JG does. KC made better timing throws. KC turned the ball over more. I think JG was/is the all around better athlete. NO ONE can yet say that JG is anything more than average. Can he be? I personally don't know. The reason I don't know isn't that I've never played, I have, more than some, probably about as much as most. I watch as much as I can. Both NCAA and NFL. I really can't recall EVER seeing a QB take as much punishment as JG and still function. But on the other hand, I have never seen a QB with the absolute inability to defend himself in some manner. I guarantee you that he has never been told to stand still, not roll out to avoid a hit, throw the ball away to avoid a sack, and to never run the football. Simple foot movement, mobility, and running the football more than once in a while would make him a better QB. This is something that a QB a good as he was rated should know coming out of HS. I'm not sure that he has the football IQ that he/we need to make the right decisions at the right time. Like everyone that looks at this objectively, I hope he proves me wrong next year. I will make a thread and say I'm wrong. I will apologize profusely. I just don't see it happening.

Watch Tom Brady against the Broncos the year Peyton won his last Super Bowl. They beat him to death. Guess he just held onto the ball too long and failed to make presnap reads.

Tend to agree with most of this. I know the OL has issues but with JGs inability to read the D he probably is not doing them any favors getting his protections right. Again. That’s JMO. I do think he will improve with this and the new bodies on the line will help. I just think it’s more of a combination of JG not reading the D and adjusting, coupled with a weak OL rather than a mutually exclusive issue.

VN Store

Back