JG- All I need to say

He just said in his Monday press conference that BM was full go. Really hard to read him sometimes because that seems to conflict with what he said Saturday. Could be a bad attempt at lying or else he just doesn't always have the right info.

Or.....

Coaches don't owe the unvarnished truth to anyone except the player. I'm not telling opponents who is or is not available if there's any question. Let them waste time preparing for "ifs".

He just said in his Monday press conference that BM was full go. Really hard to read him sometimes because that seems to conflict with what he said Saturday. Could be a bad attempt at lying or else he just doesn't always have the right info.
He is like Belichek or Saban..... not going to give much or any info if he can help it.... I think he was cleared but held out since both issues were back to back

Not 100% true regarding the young QBs showing nothing but potential. Also, you have some serious issues with youth in general. You show this same disrespect to people younger than yourself quite often on Volnation. You act like a freshman cant win. Have you been watching college football recently? Do the names Tua and Trevor ring a bell? Have you noticed how many first year QBs have won a national championship in the last decade. They may not all be freshman but results show experience at QB is not all you may believe it to be.

Inside the numbers for the Vols:
JG in SEC play has attempted a pass or ran 78 plays in 2019. He has 3 TD all passing 2 INT and 1 FUM. This equates to a JG TD on 3.8% of his plays or a JG turnover on 3.8% of his plays.
Maurer in SEC play has attempted a pass or ran 68 plays in 2019. He has 3TD (2 pass 1 rush) 5 INT 1 FUM. This equates to a BM TD on 4.4% of his plays or a BM turnover on 8.8% of his plays.

We all know the basis of the argument is JG is more experienced and less turnover prone against Maurer is more explosive and makes the offense move better.

Let's add some realistic perspective to these numbers. BM has 1 INT against Bama we all know is on JJ. No one argues this. We also all know BM tossed an INT after a serious head/neck injury against Miss St. before the staff knew he was seriously injured and shouldn't have been in the game. These are just facts we need to account for to get a realistic perspective of the impact and performance of our team QB.

Both QBs have been hit and fumbled and both have an outing with 2 INTs in the same game. Neither have had much success in the redzone either. Both have a max of 2 TDs in a single outing. They bring different skill sets that also impact the game and playcalling as well.

Now when both played against the same SEC opponents (UF, UGA, MISS ST and BAMA) we can get a slightly more incitful comparison of the 2.

UF
JG struggled against UF. He had 0 TDs 2 INTs and he lead the team to 0 points. JG played the mass majority of the game and was pulled for poor performance.
Maurer against UF had 0 TDs 1 INT and he lead the team to the only points scored in the game with very limited playing time.

UGA
Maurer throws 2 TDs and 1 INT with 1 FUM leading the team to 14 points. BM was the starter and played the majority of the game. He left the game due to injury.
JG had 0 TD and 0 INT in very limited action. The single drive he lead ended in a turnover on downs with JG going 0-4 in the redzone.

Miss St
BM gets the start and only plays about half the game. He has 0 TD and 2 INT (both in the redzone)He lead the team to 3 redzone trips in the first half alone but only came away with 7 points. He left the game due to injury and regardless of his poor outing his team lead 7-3.
JG finishes the game with 1 TD and 0 INT. He was 6/7 passing and very efficient. He held it all together and secured a huge win for the Vols.

Bama
BM starts and plays just barely over 1 Quarter. He has 1 TD and 1 INT. BM was 5/7 62 yards 1 rushing TD and his only INT is due to a JJ bobble. He left the game due to injury.
JG comes in and has 0 TD 0 INT 1 FUM. JG is pulled for Shrout in the 4th for poor performance. Although he lead the team into the redzone 3 times he came away with only 6 points. JG was 1-6 for 10 yards in the redzone against the Tide with 1 fumble.

What becomes the most obvious is tha both turn the ball over, both struggle in the redzone and Maurer exits due to injury while JG exits due to poor performance. In the 4 games both appeared in Maurer accounted for 3 TD and JG only 1 TD. On the other hand JG had 3 TOs to Maurer with 6 TO's

Passing for the 4 games:
BM was 27/53 426 yards 51%
JG was 24/45 282 yards 53%

Using the stats from the 4 OOC opponents does not add to the comparison between JG and BM. Anyone using those numbers to make a comparison is intentionally skewing the stats. A focus into similar games played does not allow for stat padding against weaker opponents. That said JG started or played the majority of the game in all 4 ooc match ups. His record is 2-2. He was also pulled yet again against UAB for an ill advised pass that lead to a redzone interception. I hope that by removing the stats that skew any realistic comparison I will not be accused of cherry picking stats.

What the data does show is against same opponents BM has shown more than potential he has shown results. The advantage in passing yards and TDs outweighs the turnover margin especially when you look at the circumstances around the turnovers. JG also known for his completion percentage is only 2% higher in these games in comparison to the true freshman. Also, you must remember that JG has been pulled 2 times for poor performance against the teams both played against.

However, JG is durable. He may get pulled or have his ups and downs on the field.but he's there ready to put in work every Saturday. He has adapted well to coming into the games in relief. Due to BM's injury JG will continue to be called upon. If BM is cleared to play that doesn't necessarily mean he will start. There are other factors to account for like opponent, weather, how the D is playing, is he 100%, is he back up to speed in practice, etc.

In conclusion Maurer has shown to be the more effective QB in leading the offense and all things being equal he should be the starter. However things are not equal and Maurer has suffered a serious injury and during this time JG has seen his numbers improve. JG can lead the team to victory no doubt but the numbers show that Maurer if healthy will increase those odds of winning. The Vols are blessed to have JG coming around and simultaneously getting Maurer back and healthy. Both have been important to the turn around over the last month.

Go Vols
Very insightful. Those that don’t choose to ignore the eye test, it comes at no surprise. Those that do choose to ignore the eye test can ONLY come back at you with “But.....he has 2 tds and 5 ints”. Good job collecting that info.

Wall of text guy half your stuff is wrong.
Also I see you left off turnover rate since you want a percentage thing.

BM had literally one good quarter and then bad play.

You also want to explains away all BM turnovers and give him credit for drives. I seem to remember a perfect pass in the endzone vs Florida that JJ turned into a int. So JG would have lead us to more points than the single fg we got with BM in.

JG was pulled vs Bama for one stupid play. Not bad play overall. We were in the game and he kept driving us down the field.

At least get your facts straight.

Saban likes the UT discount for hiring coaches. Good plan! Maybe Rutgers hires Jones and helps us out with the rest of his contract.

Pruitt not getting fired for playing JG. Weinke - yes.

I think JG transfers at end of season anyway.

Pruitt is the one saying who starts. And I don't mean fired this year. If jg is back he will start next year and that is the year it will get him.
Eh, the fact comment was more of a jab at the person I was replying to claiming his opinion was a fact. But I don’t see us winning the next 2 games maybe even Vandy with JG at the helm. He was gift wrapped the ball 4 times inside the 50 and could only push the ball across the goal line once.
Eh, the fact comment was more of a jab at the person I was replying to claiming his opinion was a fact. But I don’t see us winning the next 2 games maybe even Vandy with JG at the helm. He was gift wrapped the ball 4 times inside the 50 and could only push the ball across the goal line once.

And that is against uab, not sec teams. We simply cannot score enough with jg as qb. We got two td in game with uab with a short field at least 4 times. that is pathetic.

Reactions: jacvols
As you will every OL. Mistakes are occasionally made. Sometimes even the best just get whipped.

But here's the cold hard fact for you... JG averages 2.81 seconds per throw. That's dead last in the SEC.... and not by a narrow margin. Of the 21 guys with enough throws to qualify for the ranking, Franks was 2nd worst at 2.48 seconds. The SEC's best QB's deliver in the 2.35 range. The fact that UT is 10th and not last in sacks allowed is a testament to the OL.... and to a lesser degree that Maurer when playing delivered in 2.10 seconds.

Want to see a really bad OL? USCe is just below UT at 19 sacks allowed. Hillinski averages getting the ball out in under 2 seconds.

JG's SLOOOOOOOWWWWWWW delivery of the ball has ALWAYS made the OL look worse than it was.

Exactly, I understand this, and I have said the reason for poor ol play sat. was cause jg was at qb, he makes it very hard on the ol. Not only in having to hold blocks longer per play, but also the duration of the game they will become more tired.

I don't see any way we go through three games without losing at least one with Jarrett taking most of the snaps.

His performance on critical downs and in the red zone is predictably bad. It has been since the day he stepped foot on the field for us. If we're going to deserve to go bowling, we're going to have to be able to score when we were in those situations.

Attachments

• 20191104_163740.jpg
    20191104_163740.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 10
  • 20191104_163801.jpg
    20191104_163801.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 10
  • 20191104_163827.jpg
    20191104_163827.jpg
    162.1 KB · Views: 7
Reactions: Big Al Orange
We may get him if he’s healed up.

But here is the problem, maurer should have played some sat. pruitt said he was cleared to play. He needed these in game reps. He hasn't played in like; I think will be 4 wks? Needed them very much, which leads me to believe pruitt is gona start jg, or shrout and let shrout play one series of run run pass and then to jg. Nothing else makes sense to me. If maurer is going to play vs ky, he should have got some in game reps sat.

Maybe CJP doesn't want to allow a very good QB to destroy his confidence by continuing to make bone headed decisions. Maurer is electric and exciting, bit has thrown 5 interceptions off simply bad decisions. He is a gunslinger both with this arm and his legs. He will not survive the season if he doesn't learn self control. JT Shrout just doesn't seem to know the playbook that well. Both will be great, but why is everyone determined that they plat y or else?

Because it has been proven jg can't get the job done.

Tennessee is number 109 in the country in red zone scoring percentage. That's terrible, and it's largely a reflection of the stats of shared above. On critical downs and inside the opponent's 20, even 10, we are hitting a wall. And it's not improving.

Thankfully our defense is on fire right now, covering a multitude of sins. I just don't want to see what happens if they end up having an off game and the lack of scoring ability burns us. No way we should be this bad in the RedZone with Jennings, Calloway, Chandler, and DWA on our team.

Attachments

• 20191104_164209.jpg
    20191104_164209.jpg
    142.9 KB · Views: 2
Why? So he can throw 2 INTs in the red zone? I would like to see BM do well, but he has not proved he can manage a game as well as JG. I would start JG against UK and bring in BM if we need to come from behind in the second half. If we've got the lead, I'm sticking with JG.

Well if jg starts we will be behind. What would you say if we were behind 17 to 0 at half time; and maurer starts the second half and we lose like 31 to 28. Even then I don't think you would say maurer does better. If jg starts at ky. I hope he has a great game and we win. But I just don't see it happening about 14 points per game is all he is good for against sec opponents. 14 will not win the game. Can Maurer do it, I don't know. But at least try.. and even shrout, give them at least a decent try. Shrout did get a shot against sc only because of injury. And we pulled away from sc with shrout in the game. I don't hate or dislike jg, and it appears he is gonna be playing, just win consistantly

But here is the problem, maurer should have played some sat. pruitt said he was cleared to play. He needed these in game reps. He hasn't played in like; I think will be 4 wks? Needed them very much, which leads me to believe pruitt is gona start jg, or shrout and let shrout play one series of run run pass and then to jg. Nothing else makes sense to me. If maurer is going to play vs ky, he should have got some in game reps sat.

Maybe Since Pruitt knows more about what's going on with everything, including Maurer, he thought not getting hit in the head this week against a team we clearly didn't need him for, was more important than some in game reps.

But whatever, I enjoy knowing some of you knuckleheads are worrying yourself silly over it. It really doesn't matter if you or anyone else understands it or likes it. It is what it is.

I'm glad Maurer didn't play Saturday.

Wall of text guy half your stuff is wrong.
Also I see you left off turnover rate since you want a percentage thing.
If responding to me... or even if you aren't... I have said all along that BM's INT's are a problem. He has to take care of the ball. I'm more OK with a Fr doing that than a RS Jr not finding plays down field... but it is a problem.

The other difference as I've said repeatedly is that I don't know if BM or Shrout is or can become the answer. Maybe neither can. I'm just pretty well convinced that JG isn't the answer. His flaws have been fatal to offensive production.

So even if you could prove that he was "better" than two Fr in their first few outings... he's still nowhere near good enough.

BM had literally one good quarter and then bad play.
BM literally moved the ball against UGA, MSU, and Bama. He literally threw for more than twice the yards JG did and at a higher completion %. He literally had significantly more ypc and ypa by about 30%. He threw INT's. Freshmen do. If they're trying they're going to make mistakes but you can have hope they'll be corrected.

JG is a RS Jr. The very fact that you have to twist the data as hard as you do to "prove" he's "better" than a true Fr... should tell you all you need to know.

You also want to explains away all BM turnovers and give him credit for drives.
Again, if you are talking to me... you need to read rather than that cult tactic of turning your brain off when someone starts to tell you your idol isn't perfect. JJ made a bad play. BM since getting real playing time has made 3 bad decisions/throws. There's no need to deny that. He's a Freshman and to a significant extent he makes up for it by producing twice the yardage per minute played than your idol.

I seem to remember a perfect pass in the endzone vs Florida that JJ turned into a int. So JG would have lead us to more points than the single fg we got with BM in.
Oooo... that was a great point.
Yeah. Mop up play with 2nd teamers is exactly like what a guy does when it actually matters. JG went what, 1 for 5 vs UGA in spite of hyper safe play calling? So what does that mean if your point about BM has any validity?

JG was pulled vs Bama for one stupid play. Not bad play overall. We were in the game and he kept driving us down the field.
JG was 44% with a 3.4 ypa against Bama. His "best" contribution in that game was the extent to which he managed the run game. Maurer in about a quarter was 5 for 7 and on target with every throw... even the one that turned into a INT. His ypa was 8.9.

They specifically playcalled AROUND him hoping they could win it without him losing it for them.

At least get your facts straight.
Facts.... straight. You? Not so much.

Exactly, I understand this, and I have said the reason for poor ol play sat. was cause jg was at qb, he makes it very hard on the ol. Not only in having to hold blocks longer per play, but also the duration of the game they will become more tired.
I don't even dislike JG. I just understand his limitations and how they hurt the team. He tries. He's tough as nails. But the decision making and slow delivery are killers. Shoot, I even forgive that Bama play as boneheaded as it was. It is him making bad decisions or slow decisions or leaving long passes short or not seeing plays... the "little" things that constantly hurt the O that I am critical of.

Reactions: Vol4life2
Because it has been proven jg can't get the job done.
Ok. Then boo, or rant about the coach, or whine how we are doomed if he plays. As for me, I will cheer just as hard if JG, BM or JTS plays. I will ohh and ahh if the juiceman comes in for the wildcat. I can't stand people that constantly find something to complain about concerning the team.

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan
That win wasn’t good enough for you yesterday. Quit complaining and grow up. If he’s not good enough for u than don’t watch

Wow you are so right! How foolish of me to think the way I’ve been thinking! You’ve shown me the light. Thank you so much! I’m forever changed! Thank you good sir. Thank you!

.......SIKE!

Well if jg starts we will be behind. What would you say if we were behind 17 to 0 at half time; and maurer starts the second half and we lose like 31 to 28. Even then I don't think you would say maurer does better. If jg starts at ky. I hope he has a great game and we win. But I just don't see it happening about 14 points per game is all he is good for against sec opponents. 14 will not win the game. Can Maurer do it, I don't know. But at least try.. and even shrout, give them at least a decent try. Shrout did get a shot against sc only because of injury. And we pulled away from sc with shrout in the game. I don't hate or dislike jg, and it appears he is gonna be playing, just win consistantly
What was the score last year vs UK? Who was the qb?

You aren't making any sense.

What was the score last year vs UK? Who was the qb?

You aren't making any sense.

This is solid logic. JG is doing almost the exact same this year as he did last year. His numbers are very similar and he's even been pulled and benched for almost the same games!

2018 vs UF
JG 7/18 164yds 0td 2int got pulled
2019 vs UF
JG 10/17 107yds 0td 2int got pulled

2018 vs Bama
JG 5/10 55yds 0td 0int JG did not start replaced by Chryst
JG 7/16 55 yes 0td 0int 1fum did not start replaced by Maurer

2018 vs SC
JG 27/39 207yds 2td 0int started
2019 vs SC
JG 11/19 229yds 2td 0int came in very early

Thus JG will lead the Vols to a very good victory against the Cats just like last year!

But uh oh we need someone else to play against Vandy or we're screwed. JG is 0-2 as a starter against them.

Hopefully Maurer or Shrout will be ready to go because JG was knocked out of the game against Mizzou very early in 2018. And to the guy's point I'm replying to since it happened last year we should have confidence it will happen again.

Or maybe the guy I'm replying to just isn't making any sense?

Reactions: ShoalCreekVol
Is K-Town King sleeping with JG or something? Hes like the new Dobbs 4 Heisman but with Guarantano.

Truth is....we don't know who starts in 2020. Hopefully its someone who can run the offense better than anyone we've seen this year. You can preach stats all ya want, but the only stat that matters is putting points on the board.

JT is a gun slinger, but very raw.
BM seems to be the best thrower but can't stay healthy.
JG has the most experience but his red zone play is utter garbage. And he has terrible feel for the pocket.

Wow you are so right! How foolish of me to think the way I’ve been thinking! You’ve shown me the light. Thank you so much! I’m forever changed! Thank you good sir. Thank you!

.......SIKE!
trust me I don’t expect change. Just letting u know you have issues

Reactions: Volanta
Is K-Town King sleeping with JG or something? Hes like the new Dobbs 4 Heisman but with Guarantano.

Truth is....we don't know who starts in 2020. Hopefully its someone who can run the offense better than anyone we've seen this year. You can preach stats all ya want, but the only stat that matters is putting points on the board.

JT is a gun slinger, but very raw.
BM seems to be the best thrower but can't stay healthy.
JG has the most experience but his red zone play is utter garbage. And he has terrible feel for the pocket.

This could be our problem. Playing QB is like being a boxer. You dont need distractions and it helps when you have that pent up frustration. They should practice abstinence for a while.

Reactions: PandamoniumReigns

VN Store

Back