Jeremy Banks is back on the team

DeerPark12, Do you know which, if any of these guys listed below, have guaranteed scholarships for the 20-21 academic year? Thanks.

Excluding the guys below, I only show the Vols at 86 total scholarsips, or one over the 85 total scholarship limit. I'm sure Cade Mays has a guaranteed scholarship, so I included him in the 86 total. Pretty sure Velus Jones has a guaranteed scholly, but I didn't count him in my 86 total and I listed him below.

Velus Jones- USC transfer
Miles Jones- Nebraska transfer
Kasim Hill- Maryland transfer
Braden Collins - App State WR transfer
Brett Graham- UConn Punter transfer
Jeremy Banks
Kenney Solomon
Kwauze Garland
Isaiah Montgomery

Solomon, Garland, Montgomery are all on guaranteed scholarship due to a Power 5 guideline that requires Universities to honor scholarships given in a players first year as long as there aren’t any negative reasons to not renew the scholarship a la Jeremy Banks being kicked off the team at one point.

DeerPark12, Do you know which, if any of these guys listed below, have guaranteed scholarships for the 20-21 academic year? Thanks.

Excluding the guys below, I only show the Vols at 86 total scholarsips, or one over the 85 total scholarship limit. I'm sure Cade Mays has a guaranteed scholarship, so I included him in the 86 total. Pretty sure Velus Jones has a guaranteed scholly, but I didn't count him in my 86 total and I listed him below.

Velus Jones- USC transfer
Miles Jones- Nebraska transfer
Kasim Hill- Maryland transfer
Braden Collins - App State WR transfer
Brett Graham- UConn Punter transfer
Jeremy Banks
Kenney Solomon
Kwauze Garland
Isaiah Montgomery
Miles Jones, Kasim Hill, Braden Collins and Brett Graham have yet to be awarded scholarships. Kasim Hill would’ve already netted one in a normal offseason. Part of any agreement to transfer as a walkon from a scholarship situation. We fret over number crunches every season...and it gets resolved. Guaranteeing there’s 9 or more on this roster who would’ve already transferred by the end of Spring. But it can’t be completed until campuses are fully up. Solon Page, Riley Locklear and Kingston Harris are 3 names I can easily rattle off without the benefit of caffeine.

Good for him. I was on the fence whether they should bring him back but watching all he has done since you can’t help but think he is working to redeem himself and become a better person.
I am a Christian, but regardless of this I believe our entire lives are based upon the notion of self improvement. We all strive to improve who we are at the core and from what I see he is genuinely trying to do that. With that in mind I’m glad he’s back.

I understand what you are saying and I agree. However I can't keep it out of my mind just how many guys in prison seem to "get religion" when they face to future in front of them. Hate to say it but this smacks of that same circumstance. Hope it works out.

Reactions: vettefool
I am glad Banks has earned his way back onto the team!! He will contribute immediately, whether on ST, breather snaps or starter.

GBO

Reactions: Breezy
I understand what you are saying and I agree. However I can't keep it out of my mind just how many guys in prison seem to "get religion" when they face to future in front of them. Hate to say it but this smacks of that same circumstance. Hope it works out.
People also "get religion" when they face tragedy, death, sickness, alcoholism, and many other troubles. I, personally, don't think we can assume its always a farce.

Guys... I believe there is a difference between being on scholarship and being on an athletic scholarship. Those two are not the same thing. So who knows which kind of scholarship ... they are on?

Guys... I believe there is a difference between being on scholarship and being on an athletic scholarship. Those two are not the same thing. So who knows which kind of scholarship ... they are on?
A football player on ANY scholarship, whether it be sports, academic, hardship, or anything else, is still treated as an athletic scholarship, and counts towards the 85. You can't be a walk-on with an academic scholarship.

A football player on ANY scholarship, whether it be sports, academic, hardship, or anything else, is still treated as an athletic scholarship, and counts towards the 85. You can't be a walk-on with an academic scholarship.
Not certain you’re correct.

Reactions: Sackett
'Member when the defense finally turned the corner the first week after Banks was kicked off the team?

Ability to start next to HT??? Laughable. We have four other linebackers in front of Banks.

Baring an injury, Banks will end up being the starter at ILB next to To'oto'o. My bet is by the season opener. If not, by the 3rd game at the very least. Having Banks back allows Crouch to play SAM ( the position Pruitt has hinted he prefers him at). Also allows us to get our best 11 on the field.

None of the Freshman LBs will start over Banks. Good try though. Also, Banks is an every down LB. Crouch is a run stopping LB so both of them will play during different situations.

But, good try. Also, I never compared HT and Banks. HT is a way better LB then Banks. But, that is why HT is going to run the defense this year.

I agree. Having Banks back allows Crouch to move to SAM, getting the best 11 on the field. Eason will primarily play SAM ( OLB) mostly this season I'm betting, much like Crouch last year, so he'll back up Crouch and probably K. Bennett. McDonald will be exclusively a STAR nickle this season and special teams and probably even redshirt. French, Peterson, Page, and Banks will compete for the ILB spot opposite HT. My bet is on Banks.

I hope Banks has grown and learned from his mistakes. He seems to be doing the right things now. I trust Pruitt and if he feels like Banks has earned his way back on the team then I welcome him back. I am sure Pruitt knows a lot more about Banks growth than we do. GO VOLS

Ability to start next to HT??? Laughable. We have four other linebackers in front of Banks.

Any of the freshmen trio from Whitehaven in Memphis could beat him out. Banks never showed out as a great or even talented linebacker in his limited snaps to begin with. Don't EVEN begin to compare his talents with Henry T. NO NO.
Didn’t Banks have two interceptions in a game shortly before he was dismissed? That may indicate he will be a big-time playmaker. Some guys just have that knack.

Last edited:
I have no grudge, I’ve said repeatedly that I think he should be welcomed back to the program because of the work he’s put in to get there.

The scholarship numbers are what they are, they aren’t subject to my opinion either way. We have to drop six scholarships by August. If Banks is brought back, that’s seven that have to go. They have four former walk-ons that have one-year scholarships, so that creates some room, but there’s going to have to have some attrition for there to be a spot. Those are just the numbers.

Can the scholarship problem work itself out as the season progresses? Let's say we get 7 guys including Banks to be preferred walk-ons then we lose 2 in August, 2 in September, and 3 in October. Can those scholarships be given to the PWOs? If so, are they prorated or full semester scholarships?

Not certain you’re correct.

When you look at baseball for example they only get 11.7 scholarships. Very seldom does a single player get a full ride scholarship in baseball (stud pitchers are the exception). They coached my son to do well is school because it allows the coaches/schools to provide academic scholarships, etc. for any specialty you may bring to the table. That way they can maybe pay for your books, housing and/or meals with a 1/4 or 1/2 scholarship. If you are a good player and smart to boot, then you are valuable to a baseball program. In most cases Mom & Dad can pick up the small balance of costs. After all $25K out of pocket is much better than $100K - $150.

* The following NCAA I sports are Head Count sports: Men's & Women's Basketball, FBS Football, Women's Gymnastics, Tennis & Volleyball. A head count sport means the stated scholarship limit is absolute, and the number of athletes receiving awards cannot exceed this number. Head count sports generally award a much higher percentage of full scholarships than equivalency sports.

All other NCAA sports are Equivalency Sports which means awards can be split into partial scholarships in any proportion up to the maximum allowed. For example, an NCAA Division I school could award 24 Softball players each a 1/2 equivalent scholarship and still meet the limit of 12 per team. Full scholarships are relatively rare in equivalency sports.
College Athletic Scholarship Limits - Scholarship Stats.com

Last edited:
Reactions: butchna

VN Store

Back