Jeremy Banks is back on the team

He's enrolled in school, nothing has changed with that.

As I said a couple of weeks ago, they still have to find a scholarship for him. With the attrition that was expected after the spring, that wouldn't have been a huge issue. Since there wasn't spring and the only player that departed was Jordan, that makes things complicated. They're currently 6 over the limit without Banks, FWIW.
Could you enlighten me at what point he was off scholarship and who took that scholarship?

Reactions: 901 Orange
Already talked to one of those parents and that walk-on scholarship is for 4 years.

Also, per NCAA guidelines a scholarship offered in the first year basically has to be honored for 4 years. You can’t just take it away without a reason.

I don’t think you understand. There were walk ons last year, not in their first year in the program, that were placed on scholarship for last school year only. Or, at least, they were only guaranteed last year. That is still allowable.

Regardless, that doesn’t help your argument. For Banks to be on scholarship this year, Tennessee has to reduce its current roster by seven scholarship players. Maybe Pruitt has a plan for that. My information is that he has been told he only has a spot if one opens up. That’s what I’ve said over and over here. He is welcome to join the team as a walk-on if one doesn’t.

Tell that to Saban. It’s a year to year deal.
Per Power 5 conference guidelines a scholarship offered in a players first year is binding (Unless taken away for other reasons due to punishment) for the remainder of their eligibility. Only scholarships offered in years after a players first year are not binded by this guideline.

I don’t think you understand. There were walk ons last year, not in their first year in the program, that were placed on scholarship for last school year only. Or, at least, they were only guaranteed last year. That is still allowable.

Regardless, that doesn’t help your argument. For Banks to be on scholarship this year, Tennessee has to reduce its current roster by seven scholarship players. Maybe Pruitt has a plan for that. My information is that he has been told he only has a spot if one opens up. That’s what I’ve said over and over here. He is welcome to join the team as a walk-on if one doesn’t.

Well even if this were true. He is a Tennessee resident and could basically have everything paid for if his grades are steady.

If there's football this fall, Jeremy Banks will be on the field. If not starting. Has the potential to be a huge comeback story....

Didn’t realize about the individuals placed on scholarship that weren’t in their first year. Nothing was ever reported on that.

As I said a couple of weeks ago, they still have to find a scholarship for him. With the attrition that was expected after the spring, that wouldn't have been a huge issue. Since there wasn't spring and the only player that departed was Jordan, that makes things complicated. They're currently 6 over the limit without Banks, FWIW.
Maybe they make him walk on and earn his scholarship back

Reactions: mr.checkerboards
Could you enlighten me at what point he was off scholarship and who took that scholarship?

When a player is dismissed from the team for incidents, his scholarship is automatically not renewed. Since those renewals don’t come around until the end of spring semester, he was able to remain in school and on scholarship through the end of spring. Since he was dismissed from the program, his scholarship did not take one of the 85 spots.

No one player “took” his scholarship. A program has to be under the NCAA limit of 85 on two dates every year: The first day of Spring semester and August 1st. Tennessee signed more players this cycle than they had depart the program. Since he did not count against the 85 in the spring. I guess you could say that one of the mid-term guys took his “spot,” but that’s not really how it works at that point in the cycle.

This is going to be interesting to follow. Time will tell this tale.

Already talked to one of those parents and that walk-on scholarship is for 4 years.

Also, per NCAA guidelines a scholarship offered in the first year basically has to be honored for 4 years. You can’t just take it away without a reason.

I don’t know where you get your info but you are incorrect on scholarships. They are year to year.

I’m going to take AVs info over yours on this one. Sorry. Especially with volswire releasing a depth chart with him on it. They wouldn’t have done that without hearing something.

Dunno why you keep saying he won’t be on the team other then a grudge you are holding. He has the potential to start next to HT this year.
He’s dug in by now. Never really retracted his statement on Justin Martin...who ended up graduating.

Ability to start next to HT??? Laughable. We have four other linebackers in front of Banks.

Any of the freshmen trio from Whitehaven in Memphis could beat him out. Banks never showed out as a great or even talented linebacker in his limited snaps to begin with. Don't EVEN begin to compare his talents with Henry T. NO NO.
Can’t compare ANY other linebacker on the roster with Toto...so odd point. What four linebacker have been listed in front of him...officially?

Reactions: Sackett and TNbuc2
Ability to start next to HT??? Laughable. We have four other linebackers in front of Banks.

Any of the freshmen trio from Whitehaven in Memphis could beat him out. Banks never showed out as a great or even talented linebacker in his limited snaps to begin with. Don't EVEN begin to compare his talents with Henry T. NO NO.

You compared Banks to Henry T just by saying he could start beside him. You are in a dream world. Nice try to you as well.
So if Crouch starts next to Toto, he’s automatically compared to him? It’s a different spot. Why can’t you grasp?

When a player is dismissed from the team for incidents, his scholarship is automatically not renewed. Since those renewals don’t come around until the end of spring semester, he was able to remain in school and on scholarship through the end of spring. Since he was dismissed from the program, his scholarship did not take one of the 85 spots.

No one player “took” his scholarship. A program has to be under the NCAA limit of 85 on two dates every year: The first day of Spring semester and August 1st. Tennessee signed more players this cycle than they had depart the program. Since he did not count against the 85 in the spring. I guess you could say that one of the mid-term guys took his “spot,” but that’s not really how it works at that point in the cycle.

DeerPark12, Do you know which, if any of these guys listed below, have guaranteed scholarships for the 20-21 academic year? Thanks.

Excluding the guys below, I only show the Vols at 86 total scholarsips, or one over the 85 total scholarship limit. I'm sure Cade Mays has a guaranteed scholarship, so I included him in the 86 total. Pretty sure Velus Jones has a guaranteed scholly, but I didn't count him in my 86 total and I listed him below.

Velus Jones- USC transfer
Miles Jones- Nebraska transfer
Kasim Hill- Maryland transfer
Braden Collins - App State WR transfer
Brett Graham- UConn Punter transfer
Jeremy Banks
Kenney Solomon
Kwauze Garland
Isaiah Montgomery

I hope this is true, and that a place can be made for him to be a VOL again when whatever kind of season we have finally opens.

Do remember him having 2 picks in a game last year. I am sure you know alot more than me about the team. Just remember reading no TN LB had done that in a few decades. Guess anybody can get lucky.

VN Store

Back