This cat is
6'1 232 lbs
4.5 - 40
37.5 vertical
25 reps of 225 (400 lbs eq)
Had over 200 career tackles
9 sacks
4 Ints

All around production and physical testing puts him as ones of the most skilled LBs to ever play at UT.
If you don't agree, looks at Al Wilson's and Jerrod Mayos to compare.

Not a chance in hades that Banks is a day 1 pick. He is a late round guy and will be lucky that someone takes a chance on him. He is a risky choice and has proved that on game days and in the offseason while at UT. He has the skills and the intangibles to be a decent player but he is undersized linebacker for the NFL. Too much risk for any team for a first round pick. Also, he isn’t in the same league as Al Wilson or Jerrod Mayo.

Reactions: Big Al Orange
Not according to the numbers.
???
According to the numbers Al Wilson was a much better LBer. According to the eye test and how he put up those numbers it’s not a closer comparison at all.

Fwiw I hope Banks is drafted highly and has a great career but it’s just laughable to compare him to Wilson.

Reactions: TJSVOLS
This cat is
6'1 232 lbs
4.5 - 40
37.5 vertical
9 sacks
4 Ints

All around production and physical testing puts him as ones of the most skilled LBs to ever play at UT.
Lots of skilled guys never make it in the NFL. Tons of skilled guy don’t have the mental toughness to handle the up’s and downs of the League and everything that goes along with it. To this point Banks has made some questionable choices that almost didn’t allow him to make it out of Ut in good standing. He’s going to need to mature a lot to become a day 1 or 2nd round guy.

Al
  • Games Played: 42.
  • Tackles: 272.
  • Tackles-For-Loss: 27.
  • Sacks: 11.
  • Forced Fumbles: 8.
  • Fumble Recoveries: 3.
  • Pass Breakups: 10.
  • Interceptions: 2.
Banks

• Games: 40
• Tackles: 209
• TFL: 17
• Sacks: 5.5
• FF and FR: 1 each
• Pass breakups: 8
• INTs: 1

But yea Banks is on the same level..
Bruh wtf?
He had 2 ints in ONE GAME before.

You just making up stats???

Al
  • Games Played: 42.
  • Tackles: 272.
  • Tackles-For-Loss: 27.
  • Sacks: 11.
  • Forced Fumbles: 8.
  • Fumble Recoveries: 3.
  • Pass Breakups: 10.
  • Interceptions: 2.
Banks

• Games: 40
• Tackles: 209
• TFL: 17
• Sacks: 5.5
• FF and FR: 1 each
• Pass breakups: 8
• INTs: 1

But yea Banks is on the same level..
Banks had 219 tackles and 3 Ints...he played 2 less games too.
But you're not gonna talk about Al Wilson's 4.59 40 and 17 Bench press reps of 225?
Banks ran 4.53 and benched 225 25 times! talk about Als shoulders or whatever. The fact is Banks threw it up 8 more times!

I love Al. But he got injured quite a bit.
How was Banks on the front? He was never injured. Maybe if he were injured some he wouldn't have gotten so many personal fouls lol.

Also, look who Al had as running mates at UT vs what Banks had around him.
From a production and athletic standpoint, they are absolutely comparable.

That was my point. So don't try to steer it into big picture.
Al Wilson is the best leader that Tennessee has ever had...
Tell

He will be lucky to be drafted. His combine was solid but not elite. Owen P had an elite combine and probably still will be on the board in the second round.

His “production”, is mainly tackles. And a lot of those were down the field. His coverage problems are well documented and a serious issue at the next level where the ball is in the air more and he will be expected to cover even more athletic players.

His biggest problem though is that he’s slow to identify a play and react. You can find 3rd down and 1 plays where he barely moves from his stance. Along with the multiple examples of him blowing coverage assignments (Pitts first two scores for example)

If comparing stats it would be interesting to see the number of plays Banks had compared to someone like Wilson. During his time under CJH you would think Banks was in for a lot of plays due our offense often scoring fast or going 3 and out. Could be totally wrong though and it’s not that big of a difference, but would still give some context.

Reactions: Vol8188
He flies around with no control which is the problem. Over pursues, late hits, roughing the passer. It's a blessing and a curse. Not a 1st round pick. Maybe a day 2 pick.

You might be right. However, you and me, we don't get to decide if he's 1st round picked or not. We can be glad the Banks notes are written and will be cashed elsewhere.

It seams it’s illegal to inflict pain on another man in today’s nfl

Seems so, but doesn't stop bend 'em, and snap 'em LBs from doing so just the same. Just look at the filthy way Bama defenders play. Hooker even lost teeth on a late hit in 2021 IIRC. Then look at the most penalized NFL players. AS in all things, humans gonna human. Banks is gonna bank on bend and snap playing style. He doesn't know any other way to play. And I still say, NFL teams still covet his kind of play.

Last edited:
I think he is round 4-5. He can develop into a good pro and hopefully he gets drafted. We need a LB to get drafted to help with future recruiting.

I think he is round 4-5. He can develop into a good pro and hopefully he gets drafted. We need a LB to get drafted to help with future recruiting.

Well, in that case:
beer-458143_76994_hd.jpeg

But you're not gonna talk about Al Wilson's 4.59 40 and 17 Bench press reps of 225?
Banks ran 4.53 and benched 225 25 times! talk about Als shoulders or whatever. The fact is Banks threw it up 8 more times!

How was Banks on the front? He was never injured. Maybe if he were injured some he wouldn't have gotten so many personal fouls lol.

Tell
Go watch 98 UF game and tell me Banks would have led UT to victory. Al has more ff that day than Banks had in a career.

To answer the op, JB is not a first round talent. He got lost too often or caught up in the wash and nullified from the play.

If he would have kept his nose clean this season and finished the season on a high note instead of all his issues compounding into missing a playoff play-in game and the biggest postseason game of his career, he might could be a 2nd day draft pick.

Reactions: VAVol85
Hey Fred Warner covers WRs. In the Niners playoff games he was step for step with Ceedee Lamb several times. He's a beast

I was going to say this.. Also the guy that plays for the Rams is older but can cover very well.

Tell

How many times did Al get suspending for bragging to cops about killing cops?

I'll hang up and listen....

Exactly. A LB isn't supposed to be able to cover a WR. If they could they would be DBs.

LBs cover WRs all the time. If you run a slant or a dig, there’s a good chance it’s a LB’s responsibility. If you run an out and up, LB.

Offense dictates the matchups for the most part and forces LBs to cover WRs through motion or just attacking zone coverage

Last edited:
Day 1 would mean 1st round pick. I don’t think a single NFL franchise would invest that much into him. He’s a high risk pick no matter where he goes.
I'm not stating an opinion one way or the other because I'm not that familiar with the other LBs available. But what do you think makes him a high risk pick? He's had some trouble but that doesn't keep NFL teams from picking players in the 1st round.

If I were going to say why he might not be drafted high then I'd look at team needs, the premium or lack thereof on LBs now, and his decisions on the field. He also hasn't been great in pass coverage in his UT career.

Entirely different world now. An accusation like that never would have seen the light of day in the 90's.

Why because the cops would have took care of it or Al had more respect for himself and others than JB?

Plenty got out, they wasn't stupid enough to say that to a cops face.

This cat is
6'1 232 lbs
4.5 - 40
37.5 vertical
9 sacks
4 Ints

Day 1 of what? Surely not the NFL draft, bwahahaha!! No way, Jose.

VN Store

Back