Jennings suspended for first half of bowl game (merged)

You may be right. Just seems to me, if he did intentionally step on a face, mind you with cleats. That seems to warrant an entire game penalty. I guess, maybe they gave him a half game because they couldn't prove intent? I still wonder if it's more about removing the players helmet. Would have been nice if the SEC would have given an explanation. Anyway, glad we get to see him in the second half. GBO!!
I believe that as well, he would have been out for more than that (unless he was a bammer) if the league thought he intentionally did it. I really believe it was a combination of a bad look and publicity. Honestly a flag should have been thrown for JJ's extracurriculars while they were on the ground.

no one knows what all was going on during that tackle and scuffle but the Vandy player and JJ...
Vandy player could have said something to JJ and set him off..who knows
JJ could have stood up and told him this is where you belong and accidently stepped on his face and pushed it to ground....
either way JJ made a point to let Vandy know who is king now....
GBO

Well he dang sure didn't stomp. He sure enuf stepped on players face and didn't bother to look. I have trouble accepting it because refs didn't visually determine a foul. We can watch replays all day and see all kinds of penalties the refs don't call. You wanna know the #1 penalty that seldom get's called? Holding on offensive linemen, especially Bama's.

The helmet rule applies on the field. A player can obviously take their helmet off on the sideline.

That is true. A player may take HIS own helmet off on the sidelines. I think it's a penalty if an oppsing player takes off a player's helmet no matter where it happens. I think the reason no penalty was called is because it would've been off-setting dead-ball penalties due to Vandy's players running on the field. Why waste 5 more minutes explaining it?

Listen, I love Jauan's fight, and his moxie. But innocence, that's not in the cards. Jauan knew where the other guy's head was when he stood up.

I don't think he stomped the guy's head. But I do think he planted his cleated foot there. Intending insult, rather than injury.

I'm far from young, and far from elite, as an athlete. But when i stand up, i know what's immediately around me and what i'm stepping on without looking. It's just a matter of good spatial reasoning and situational awareness. And top-tier college wide receivers have both those in spades--as has already been pointed out in this thread.

Yes, Jauan knew. If he had meant to injure, the dude would have been injured. So we know JJ held back. But he knew where he was stepping.

And...it fits his persona. Think about it. The young man is a junkyard dog. That's part of his charm, for us fans. Heh.

So JJ should take the punishment, be happy it's not more, and come in after halftime ready to help kick whoever's butt.

Go Vols!

Last edited:
If Pruitt had come out and announced that he had suspended Jennings for the first half of the bowl game, do you think his thread would be mostly praise for his discipline or criticism for his caving to media pressure?

I think it means referring to what Bama did is irrelevant, the SEC did not move on them.

I love JJ. Full Stop.
Great Tackle. Loved it.
Extra-Curricular Activities After the Play - Bad Decision, got caught up in the moment.
SEC Office did what it had to. Cannot let players get away with that kind of stuff. Period. Intent didn't matter. All they could do was watch the tape.
Hope JJ plays the 2nd half of his life in the bowl, gets drafted, plays 15 years in the NFL.
We will never forget you JJ. You are a true VFL. Now, as the famous Lou Brown once said "Don't Ever ?*%$# Do it Again!

Listen, I love Jauan's fight, and his moxie. But innocence, that's not in the cards. Jauan knew where the other guy's head was when he stood up.

I don't think he stomped the guy's head. But I do think he planted his cleated foot there. Intending insult, rather than injury.

I'm far from young, and far from elite, as an athlete. But when i stand up, i know what's immediately around me and what i'm stepping on without looking. It's just a matter of good spatial reasoning and situational awareness. And top-tier college wide receivers have both those in spades--as has already been pointed out in this thread.

Yes, Jauan knew. If he had meant to injure, the dude would have been injured. So we know JJ held back. But he knew where he was stepping.

And...it fits his persona. Think about it. The young man is a junkyard dog. That's part of his charm, for us fans. Heh.

So JJ should take the punishment, be happy it's not more, and come in after halftime ready to help kick whoever's butt.

Go Vols!
If this is a repeat sorry, the thread merged during typing...I seriously doubt you are ever standing up and stepping with 20 athletes around you bumping, pushing, telling, and all while 2 guys are standing there blowing whistles. Give me a break with this bs comparison. I've stepped on my own kids while distracted by less, and I AM, an athlete (at least in my own mind).

I seriously doubt you are ever standing up and stepping with 20 athletes around you bumping, pushing, telling, and all while 2 guys are standing there blowing whistles. Give me a break with this bs comparison. I've stepped on my own kids while distracted by less, and I AM, an athlete (at least in my own mind).
well, if you wouldn't know...and i would...maybe i'm more of an athlete than you! ;)

p.s. how does standing in the back end of a C-130 flying nap of the earth while the pilots pretend they're evading ground fire, waving and shouting while giving commands to 62 paratroopers, keeping from getting tangled up in your own static line, and paying attention to the open door right beside measure up? That's about the most extreme set of conditions I've faced in the last couple of decades, but I knew where I was stepping--without looking--every time I did that.

Last edited:
Reactions: UT's#1Fan
really doesn't matter now, but if we are going to retroactively hand down punishments....What about the handful of Vandy players that left the bench and crossed the field?

Kicking at someone in the heat of battle is one thing. Intentionally walking onto the field in an aggressive manner! Wow, that has to be worse, right?

That's a $1,000 fine in the NBA. Which is remarkable worth it if I was still young enough to scrap and was making 4 million a year!

really doesn't matter now, but if we are going to retroactively hand down punishments....What about the handful of Vandy players that left the bench and crossed the field?

Kicking at someone in the heat of battle is one thing. Intentionally walking onto the field in an aggressive manner! Wow, that has to be worse, right?

That's a $1,000 fine in the NBA. Which is remarkable worth it if I was still young enough to scrap and was making 4 million a year!
OK, suspend Vandy players for the first half of their bowl game.

Oh, . . . . .

I've watched the clip many times. I am a HUGE JJ fan. His catch vs UGA alone makes him a VFL in my book. The look on that trash fan base in the stand, as their passive aggressive little faces just started in disbelief is priceless. He is a huge part of our turnaround this season.

That said, here is my take:

1. Good hit. ALMOST out of bounds but not quite. No problem there.

2. Took out the UT coach who told us all to shut up during recruiting, that the Alabama people on staff knew what they were doing. No problem there.

3. Taking off the helmet. Can't quite see how it happened, but likely a flag if the ref had a better view of it.

4. The step. From my perspective, it strikes me that JJ started to stomp, then realized the gravity of what he was about to do and pulled up. So I think it is a lot like someone who hits a QB late but then "hugs" the QB to keep him from going down.

All in all, it seems appropriate. I'm not outraged. JJ has to be smarter than this.

That said, if JJ has his number on his helmet, the SEC would have taken no action whatsoever, except possibly to censure the Vandy player for removing his helmet..

It wasn't intentional. Don't tell me it was. If it was we would have seen pictures of a face stomped by a 220+ pound football player with cleats[/B]. Lol, you get real. It wasnt a Georgia or Florida player, but if you're gonna make up a story, I guess you might as well change the main characters.
He did it! Just like that little shove after a player runs out of bounds, or not pulling up and giving the QB a “light hit” after he throws the ball or getting in the “last” shove after the whistle blows!
Players always trying to get in a little shot and get away with it, drawing penalties, driving us fans crazy and we call for more discipline!
If a Vandy player did the EXACT same thing to JJ you guys moaning now would go insane if the Vandy player didn’t get suspended!!

He did it! Just like that little shove after a player runs out of bounds, or not pulling up and giving the QB a “light hit” after he throws the ball or getting in the “last” shove after the whistle blows!
Players always trying to get in a little shot and get away with it, drawing penalties, driving us fans crazy and we call for more discipline!
If a Vandy player did the EXACT same thing to JJ you guys moaning now would go insane if the Vandy player didn’t get suspended!!

Ah, IF it was Vandy players, or Georgia players or Florida players or ISIS...blah blah blah. If you guys weren't moaning about something you're not positive about and can't prove, no one would be moaning about you being wrong.

He didn't get suspended by the SEC, there was an uproar, and Nick Saban said he'd sit him for a half but could choose to play him at any time.

Why should he have been suspended by the SEC when he was already suspended for the prescribed amount of time by the team?

VN Store

Back