Jennings suspended for first half of bowl game (merged)

I take a different approach on a Jenning reaction.. Tell them all "too hell with it". I am not going to play a half. If I can't play the whole game, I will just sit out the bowl and prepare for the pro tryouts. No sense maybe getting hurt for just a half. Just stop now and let the young guys get the reps for the game and their future. Maybe I can help with the prep of these guys..
Jennings is a great player but he needs to keep putting up game film. If he was going to be a high pick I would get it, but I don't see him being drafted in the first 3 rounds.

SEC is full of 💩! Make him sit the whole game or let him play! If the reviewers in Alabama land didn’t impose a penalty, what the heck are they doing now? Let me see, if the hit on Shy Tuttle was dirty but didn’t draw a flag, can the SEC now come back during the week and suspend the players for those type hits? D J Shockley doesn’t know if JJ intentionally cleated the player and neither does the SEC. What made it look worse was the “slip and slide” plastic that took then into the chairs. Be interesting to see the Law of Unintended Consequences results in the future.

This is probably fair in all honesty.

Things against JJ ignoring the step that still look bad.
1. Why was he on the punt team? I don't think he had been playing gunner previously. SR day and you give guys some latitude if they want to do something for the last time, yes. But a star offensive player that gets into a fight on the play then looks a bit suspicious.
2. What happened while the two players were in a scrum on the Tennessee bench? I think the Vandy player gave plenty back and the situation escalated, if there were clearer shots of this scrum I think they may have enough to discipline both players on this, Vandy kid had nothing to lose though and is why you can't get into a fight with a team like this.
3. Why did the celebrate what looks like a cheap shot? If it was an accident, jumping up and down celebrating the huge hit/fight you just won is a odd way of saying sorry I stepped on your face.

I want to believe the best about JJ but I can definitely see where a 3rd part would look at it and see a star offensive player volunteer for punt coverage to lay a hit and then take a bit extra and ended with a deliberate cheap shot which he showed no remorse but celebrated. I was expecting a much harsher penalty honestly.

Last edited:
Come on man. “A little confused”?

The hit was great, I loved it. But there was extra curricular by JJ on the ground while he was on the in his face trash talking him. Then, “somehow”, the kid’s helmet comes off and then he gets up and steps on the kid’s face.

Look, I know we’re all Vol fans and love JJ, but can we not just be honest here and say the truth? JJ was jacked up, rightfully so, and he let his emotions get the best of him.

The hit by JJ was great, couldn’t have been better....but he should’ve gotten up at that point without all the other stuff he did there....and the hit still would’ve been great and he’d be playing in the first half of the bowl game. Instead, he did all the other stuff and he and the team are getting punished for it.
Very Well said!!!

Reactions: MSCE09
The SEC continues to torture it's member teams (except Alabama). As if the season was not enough with it's below sub-standard officiating.

What are they going to do, put us on probation?

I assume by not honor the suspension you mean play him in the first half anyway?

What would the consequences be if he didn't honor the suspension?

I’m ok with the punishment if it were applied equitably across the conference, e.g. Alabama

Reactions: VOLSONLY
Are you guys trying to say that an athlete with JJ’s ability, looking down at the guy’s head, does not have the coordination to then turn, walk away, and NOT step on his head? JJ’s actions were clearly intentional.

I’m an alum and a season ticket holder for more than 35 yrs, but JJ received a slap on the wrist for essentially an assault.

Had to wait till Tues to see it. SEC Network, err ESPN, went to their alternate, so I listened to Bob. Don't even think he mentioned anything about the play. Ol' Hubert Owens wasn't even the referee so the Birmingham office had up cover for him by making the call on Wednesday.

So, after watching that about 15 times in a row....

1) The hit was fair and in bounds, no penalty should have been called.

2) The reason they were carried so far is because they slid on the tarp. This made the play look way worse than it really was. The only reason anyone can suggest late hit is because they ended up so far removed from the field, but again....due to the tarp, not the location of initial hit.

3) Jennings stayed on him longer than he should, and it definitely looked aggressive. I have a hard time believing there was zero emotion in that, nor was he just trying to get up.

4) Jennings appears to have been the one to ripped his helmet off (this I think was the big thing. If the helmet stays on, no big deal.)

5) I don't think JJ stepped on his head intentionally.....but I also don't think he cared that it happened in the moment either.

If I'm taking my orange shades off for a second.....the suspension is probably deserved. I don't think the flag was called because nobody saw the angle of what happened at the time. I do think he went overboard staying on top of him so long, and definitely by taking the helmet off. And I think with JJ's past, it made it even more exaggerated.

But with my orange glasses on, JJ had had an abysmal Senior Night, which I'm sure frustrated him, wanted to make a memorable play and fire up his team. And just as it did two years ago, his competitive nature may have carried him a little far.

I hate that we will lose him for a half. But I also think that he will come out the second half on absolute fire, and will be fun to watch.

That being said, I lose absolutely zero respect and admiration for who Jauan Jennings is as a person. The young man is grateful to be playing football again, and was playing his final game at a University that means everything to him. The knocking on his character by the media shows that they have no clue who he really is.

I would take 85 Jauan Jennings on my team any day. Proud that he has been a Tennessee Vol, and I will be cheering him on loudly when he starts on Sundays.

Are you guys trying to say that an athlete with JJ’s ability, looking down at the guy’s head, does not have the coordination to then turn, walk away, and NOT step on his head? JJ’s actions were clearly intentional.

I’m an alum and a season ticket holder for more than 35 yrs, but JJ received a slap on the wrist for essentially an assault.

BS. Nothing "clear" about it, certainly not intent. If it was "clearly intentional" JJ would have gotten more than a half suspension. Nothing was clear and no flags were thrown so he should have gotten nothing. However, to appease the snowflakes, the SEC hands out a half game suspension.

Handled internally, hands off from SEC, got it.

If Pruitt had come out and announced that he had suspended Jennings for the first half of the bowl game, do you think his thread would be mostly praise for his discipline or criticism for his caving to media pressure?

VN Store

Back