Jennings suspended for first half of bowl game (merged)

The more I think about this, I wonder if the suspension is because of pulling off the helmet not the step?

The more I think about this, I wonder if the suspension is because of pulling off the helmet not the step?

Who knows? Has the SEC office communicated anything publicly about the suspension? If so, I haven't seen anything. I would love to hear their justification for this out of sheer morbid curiosity.

Reactions: Sara Clark
I've not posted anything on Jennings till now, but a few random thoughts. First, intent v. lack of intent. Can we definitively determine, NOT assume, but definitively determine Jennings' intent was to step on the face of the Vandy player? I don't know and we may never know. I tend to think there's no way I, personally, don't know where someone's head is when I get up from tackling them. That's not saying I know Jennings' thoughts or what he did or did not know in the chaos. However, here are some examples of intent where players were not ejected nor suspended for any portion of the next game when "intent" was more than obvious, so let's begin:

Mekhi Brown, LB, Alabama - not only is intent here very clear, but Brown was allowed back in the game. Could not be suspended for the next game by the SEC as this was a National Championship game and he subsequently transferred to Tennessee State.

Raekwon Davis, DL, Alabama - nice one/two combination to the ribs of a Mizzou player laying on the ground, defenseless:

Now, while not in the category of the incident with Jennings or the Bama litany of transgressions, let's not forget all the "No Calls" against Alabama when we played them this year. But here is a nice compilation of Bama's game vs. Georgia in the National Title game where UGA suffered the same slew of no calls... (eight minutes of hard evidence):

There's a long list of fight and brawls online and I don't have the time to pull up the info on all of them and dig up the end results regarding suspensions and ejections.

So, to quote a caller I heard on the radio regarding this subject, "Bama lost so someone has to pay the penalty". While that really has no relevance to the Jennings incident (but I kind of get it), the abhorrent lack of consistency, wholly discriminate judgments against other teams shows the lack of fortitude and corruption of the Bama homers within that putrid SEC office. Glad we got Jennings back for the second half, but the SEC office is the best example of corrupt intent and disgusting behavior within the SEC.

Reactions: VolsSince78
nah JJ stepped on dudes face. We should be thankful it's only a half game. Don't tell me it wasn't intentional... he's an elite athlete, he has knows where his feet are going at all times. Think about a sideline catch where you have to know where your feet are relative to the sideline yet still maintain concentration enough to catch a ball being hurled at you while a defender simultaneously attempts to knock it from your hands.

Now all of sudden we're suppose to think he didn't know where he was stepping? If this was a UGA of gator player the same people screaming free Jauan would be calling for their dismissal. Get real.

nah JJ stepped on dudes face. We should be thankful it's only a half game. Don't tell me it wasn't intentional... he's an elite athlete, he has knows where his feet are going at all times. Think about a sideline catch where you have to know where your feet are relative to the sideline yet still maintain concentration enough to catch a ball being hurled at you while a defender simultaneously attempts to knock it from your hands.

Now all of sudden we're suppose to think he didn't know where he was stepping? If this was a UGA of gator player the same people screaming free Jauan would be calling for their dismissal. Get real.

It wasn't intentional.

giphy-8.gif

I’m ok with the punishment if it were applied equitably across the conference, e.g. Alabama
Can you point to anything that happens in life that is "fair". Fair come to town once a year and you have to pay admission to get in. When TN has won as much as Bama and made the SEC as much money as Bama has made the SEC then you can expect UT to be treated like Bama gets treated. UT and Jennings (and the fans like me) are very fortunate that he gets to see the field in a bowl game.

He wasn't on the field of play so I doubt it was for that.
You may be right. Just seems to me, if he did intentionally step on a face, mind you with cleats. That seems to warrant an entire game penalty. I guess, maybe they gave him a half game because they couldn't prove intent? I still wonder if it's more about removing the players helmet. Would have been nice if the SEC would have given an explanation. Anyway, glad we get to see him in the second half. GBO!!

Who knows? Has the SEC office communicated anything publicly about the suspension? If so, I haven't seen anything. I would love to hear their justification for this out of sheer morbid curiosity.
You know, I don't think they have.....

As an elite athlete, it seems that if he had tried to stomp his face that there would be way more damage.

I really don't think it was intentional. He was not looking down at the player which would be the case if he was looking to stomp him. His head was turned and he was just getting up. He is an elite athlete but he doesn't have eyes in the back of his head.

Reactions: Behr and 90 Vol

It wasn't intentional. Don't tell me it was. If it was we would have seen pictures of a face stomped by a 220+ pound football player with cleats. Lol, you get real. It wasnt a Georgia or Florida player, but if you're gonna make up a story, I guess you might as well change the main characters.

I really don't think it was intentional. He was not looking down at the player which would be the case if he was looking to stomp him. His head was turned and he was just getting up. He is an elite athlete but he doesn't have eyes in the back of his head.
I think you saw a guy getting up, not necessarily caring or thinking about where he was walking. JMO

I've not posted anything on Jennings till now, but a few random thoughts. First, intent v. lack of intent. Can we definitively determine, NOT assume, but definitively determine Jennings' intent was to step on the face of the Vandy player? I don't know and we may never know. I tend to think there's no way I, personally, don't know where someone's head is when I get up from tackling them. That's not saying I know Jennings' thoughts or what he did or did not know in the chaos. However, here are some examples of intent where players were not ejected nor suspended for any portion of the next game when "intent" was more than obvious, so let's begin:

Mekhi Brown, LB, Alabama - not only is intent here very clear, but Brown was allowed back in the game. Could not be suspended for the next game by the SEC as this was a National Championship game and he subsequently transferred to Tennessee State.

Saban addressed Brown at a presser following the game and called his actions "unacceptable." As you pointed out, neither Bama nor the SEC could do anything to Brown because he was out of the conference by the time the next game rolled around.

Raekwon Davis, DL, Alabama - nice one/two combination to the ribs of a Mizzou player laying on the ground, defenseless:

Once again, Bama suspended Davis for the first half of the next game.

So your two examples of obvious Bama bias on the part of the SEC are a player whom the SEC had no way of disciplining and a player who was suspended by the school.

VN Store

Back