Jaylen McCollough arrested

Wikipedia vs Miriam-Webster? Ok...

If you finished that paragraph, it says "The overarching intent of a hot prowl burglary can be theft, robbery, assault, sexual assault, murder, kidnapping, or another crime, either by stealth or direct force."

And if you actually go down to the "Definition" section of that article you posted, it says "Home invasion differs from burglary in that its perpetrators have a violent intent apart from the unlawful entry itself, specific or general, much the same way as aggravated robbery—personally taking from someone by force—is differentiated from mere larceny (theft alone)." So, unless you can prove there was a violent intent, it was not.
So next time someone enters our home without permission we should take the time to discern whether they intend to commit a violent crime?

For all the, "Well, what ifs" how come none of you have floated the much more realistic scenario of "Well, what if JM is just an @sshole?" It's not a scenario any of us want, but it's a hole Hell of a lot more likely than some of the theories a few of ya'll are throwing out.

People that know JM semi-professionally are saying an unprovoked attack would be extremely out of character for him.

Except it's not though. The victim has not been charged with anything and has no need to prove his intentions.

And even if McCollough perceived his intentions to be nefarious, that doesn't give him the right to commit assault. I'm all for the Castle Doctrine and Stand Your Ground laws, 100% support the right to defend yourself and your property up to and including the use of deadly force. But it doesn't give me the right to shoot the guy who knocks on my door at dinner trying to sell me storm windows.

For all the, "Well, what ifs" how come none of you have floated the much more realistic scenario of "Well, what if JM is just an @sshole?" It's not a scenario any of us want, but it's a hole Hell of a lot more likely than some of the theories a few of ya'll are throwing out.
Again you have zero clue what happened outside of the drunk guy’s report. Idk about the last part for the most part the thieves I’ve met have been liars as well. Entirely possible the guy was looking for an open door to steal some stuff and got his ass beat. Only thing we can all agree on is he picked the wrong apartment and McCullough beat his ass. While we’re playing out scenarios a lot of ppl that know McCullough say this was out of character. I guess we’re still supposed to believe some random drunk guy.

Reactions: VolTookie
So next time someone enters our home without permission we should take the time to discern whether they intend to commit a violent crime?
If he goes "Oh ****, sorry" and leaves, then yeah. And then go about the REASONABLE ways to prevent it from happening again. If you're that short-fused/raged up that you have to follow the guy out and decide to punch him, then you have a helluva lot more issues that need to be resolved by a professional.

The craziest part of this story is that the police went and arrested a guy for punching a drunkass in the face after he had barged into his private residence. The idiot should have learned his lesson and paid the dentist for his lapse in judgment, then perhaps quit drinking or go to rehab.

I'll add this: if JM was a white rich kid in a bougie condo and had punched a drunk black guy for home intrusion, you would have never heard a thing about the story.
I'm surprised it took someone this long to bring up the race card. Kudos.

Reactions: Big Al Orange
If he goes "Oh ****, sorry" and leaves, then yeah. And then go about the REASONABLE ways to prevent it from happening again. If you're that short-fused/raged up that you have to follow the guy out and decide to punch him, then you have a helluva lot more issues that need to be resolved by a professional.
Completely agree with everything you said. The only thing is we do not know how this went down.

This needs to be moved to the politics forum. Isn't there a cop bashing thread over there? Literally EVERY time one of our players gets arrested, this same crap happens. 50 pages of bleeding heart liberals crying about how crooked and unethical every cop in America is. Can we please move it so I don't have to look at this disgusting thread every time I'm in the FOOTBALL forum?

This needs to be moved to the politics forum. Isn't there a cop bashing thread over there? Literally EVERY time one of our players gets arrested, this same crap happens. 50 pages of bleeding heart liberals crying about how crooked and unethical every cop in America is. Can we please move it so I don't have to look at this disgusting thread every time I'm in the FOOTBALL forum?
You can ignore the thread, the posters, skip over the comments. No one is forcing you to read the comments. You're literally crying about something that you can ignore but choose to read.

The craziest part of this story is that the police went and arrested a guy for punching a drunkass in the face after he had barged into his private residence. The idiot should have learned his lesson and paid the dentist for his lapse in judgment, then perhaps quit drinking or go to rehab.

I'll add this: if JM was a white rich kid in a bougie condo and had punched a drunk black guy for home intrusion, you would have never heard a thing about the story.
That’s a bit of a hasty generalization.

Reactions: Doberman
Psst I’m not a liberal. ;)

100% agree. If you're social drinking at a friend's place and walk into the wrong building because you're unfamiliar with the location and it looks the same and accidentally walk into the wrong room after knocking, you deserve to be knocked down a flight of concrete stairs and left unconscious and bleeding from your head.

Totally reasonable response. As is trying to make it about race.
See then, you are making conjecture by saying said person politely knocked and was like ‘carry on I’ll be on my way’ lol. 😂 none of us know anything lol

Oh come on. You either didn't read the thread, aren't comprehending the posts in this thread, or you are purposely mischaracterizing the thread to advance your own political agenda. Sure, a lot of the posters here disagree about how to view the details of JM's arrest, but not one poster has been "bashing" cops. Not one poster on this thread has said every cop in America is "crooked and unethical." Cite a post to that effect.

Disagreement with an officer's decisions does not mean an officer is "crooked and unethical." Most officers are good, solid people just like most doctors, plumbers, restaurant workers, builders, journalists, lawyers, and everyone else. But we don't have to always agree with them.

Advocating for adherence to established law enforcement practices and trying to protect individual rights and liberties are, and always have been, traditional conservative values. If you don't like this discussion, don't read it. But don't mischaracterize it. And, although I don't recall that I've ever been very interested in the politics forum, I'm very surprised to here there is a "cop bashing thread over there." There shouldn't be.

I'm surprised it took someone this long to bring up the race card. Kudos.
I was discussing the situation this morning with my barber and tried to think about what he had to say with an open mind. He is very well acquainted with many of our athletes (as well as others around the country and at the pro level). It's obviously impossible for me to fully "see" a scenario like this from the perspective of a black male (including JM).

Point is: if a drunk idiot enters my house and I end up (only) knocking out a tooth and causing some superficial injury like a cut head, and that guy then goes to the police, there's no way in hell I'm getting arrested. There is definitely a discrepancy with how our players, esp those of color, are handled in Knoxville. And I don't think it's necessarily like that everywhere.

Well, I probably am, but I think you and I probably agree that good law enforcement and the protection of individual rights and liberties are basic American values shared by both conservatives and liberals alike.

What exactly is good law enforcement suppose to mean? They’ve already made them all out to be the lowest of low when majority of them are good people and do the right thing. There are bad ones out there no question but to lump them all together is unfair.

See then, you are making conjecture by saying said person politely knocked and was like ‘carry on I’ll be on my way’ lol. 😂 none of us know anything lol

I've done no such thing. You should email your middle school English teacher and let her know she failed you. Or you her.

I was responding to someone else's scenario and ridiculous conclusion from it.

Well, I probably am, but I think you and I probably agree that good law enforcement and the protection of individual rights and liberties are basic American values shared by both conservatives and liberals alike.
I’m much more insufferable. I’m a libertarian. 😂

Reactions: Lurker
I've done no such thing. You should email your middle school English teacher and let her know she failed you. Or you her.

I was responding to someone else's scenario and ridiculous conclusion from it.
What in heaven’s name are you referencing? You are an ass.. 😂 You just don’t like that a woman made you look dumb, I’m sure it happens frequently

Last edited:
I was discussing the situation this morning with my barber and tried to think about what he had to say with an open mind. He is very well acquainted with many of our athletes (as well as others around the country and at the pro level). It's obviously impossible for me to fully "see" a scenario like this from the perspective of a black male (including JM).

Point is: if a drunk idiot enters my house and I end up (only) knocking out a tooth and causing some superficial injury like a cut head, and that guy then goes to the police, there's no way in hell I'm getting arrested. There is definitely a discrepancy with how our players, esp those of color, are handled in Knoxville. And I don't think it's necessarily like that everywhere.

Yeah, you sound open-minded.

A "drunkass" and "drunk idiot" that "barged into" the room and only received "superficial injury" and the cops are racist because they arrested the guy who knocked him down the stairs and fled the scene instead of calling 911.

Sure are a lot of judgmental MFers here who've never walked into the wrong room or opened the wrong door.

What exactly is good law enforcement suppose to mean? They’ve already made them all out to be the lowest of low when majority of them are good people and do the right thing. There are bad ones out there no question but to lump them all together is unfair.

I mean nothing more by that phrase than following the established protocols and training that are taught to all new officers. Serve and protect the public with professionalism, integrity and courage. Follow the law. Be fair.

It wasn't intended to be a loaded political statement and while I am critical of the basis and need for this warrantless arrest, I haven't said anything about these officers as being the "lowest of the low" or anything like that. I don't know them and I have no reason to think they weren't acting with concern or integrity. I just think they made the arrest prematurely and, because of that, we now are having to deal with proposed actions against JM that may cause harm to him before it is determined that he actually committed a criminal act. Had the officers simply continued their investigation and developed evidence beyond the statements of the alleged victim and then taken that evidence before a magistrate and had the judge agreed that there was probable cause to believe JM committed a crime, an arrest warrant would have been issued based on probable cause and JM would have to account for his actions. Right now, the cart's ahead of the horse in my view.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back