Jaylen McCollough arrested

The craziest part of this story is that the police went and arrested a guy for punching a drunkass in the face after he had barged into his private residence. The idiot should have learned his lesson and paid the dentist for his lapse in judgment, then perhaps quit drinking or go to rehab.

I'll add this: if JM was a white rich kid in a bougie condo and had punched a drunk black guy for home intrusion, you would have never heard a thing about the story.

Bingo.

Absolutely dead on.

Reactions: kiddiedoc
A similar thing happened at my home. A kid came in our front door (w/o knocking & holding a skateboard in one hand). He said sorry wrong house and left. We had an officer come by to make sure that was true. The officer gave us the option to press charges for criminal trespass but we declined because the kid's story checked out. Home invasion/burglary does seem a little overboard.
Agreed. Did he commit trespassing? Pretty sure, although intent matters there too and what was said by JM but that’s not close to a home invasion which is really an aggravated burglary with intent

Reactions: 37620VOL
You can if you feel like your life is in danger but it's much riskier. There's that famous case out of FL.
You can only do it when you feel your or another life is in danger even with stand your ground and castle doctrine states. I agree you have to have evidence you felt your life was in danger

Reactions: 37620VOL
I'll see your definition and raise you one:

...an offender unlawfully enters into a building residence while the occupants are inside.

Sounds like this was shaping up to be a home invasion to me.

Did the guy steal anything? We don't think so, but we don't know for sure.

Did he intend to steal anything? We have no idea. Because we don't know what his motivation was. We only know what he told the police. And we all know criminals are not in the habit of telling police their true intentions.

Fact is, we don't know what happened. The guy himself admitted to entering the home of another person without permission, so we can be fairly certain that did happen. After that, we just don't know.

So yep, I'd say this was a home invasion. Because he invaded their home.

Go Vols!
So, the guy was so drunk, he entered the wrong building, climbed several flights of stairs, entered the wrong apartment but was sober enough to remain calm, not be confrontational and recall exactly what happened after he was concussed. Possible, but not very likely. Far more likely he entered the building and apartment with criminal intent. First thing I would do if I was investigating is determine if his friend's apartment was next door and if it had to be accessed by climbing several flights of stairs. If not, the case is over.

How many break-ins are by drunks? Those that try to rob want to do it when they won't be caught. Very highly doubt a drunk in the middle of the afternoon was trying to rob someone.

1) Break-in or theft? Sure its harder to commit a well thought out theft, while drunk but I would say breaking-in to a residence is not.

but

2) "Very highly doubt" has no place in court though. The fact that he was drunk only shines light on the fact that he wasn't in his right mind. Most sober-minded people wouldn't commit theft in middle of the afternoon, when they have a higher chance of getting caught. The evidence and circumstance we're dealing with though is a non-sober-minded person.

1. while “legally” accurate, I assure you that officers, lawyers and judges use what most likely happen even in circumstantial cases to decide charges and deals and sentencing.

2. Wait and see

3. The “girlfriend” told the officers more than what was listed in the preliminary report. And there was at least one other witness who witnessed the “aftermath”

You just don't want to be wrong do you? You seem to be divulging information not available to public at this point in an ongoing investigation. By doing so, it may be interfering with the investigation and perception in the public's eye. I hope since you have no first hand information that you are not being set up by your connections. IOW, are you chasing police information or is someone in the know calling you keeping you informed of the situation. Seeing you are splattering your knowledge on this board I would think you are chasing information with some intent of bragging rights.

Last edited:
You just don't want to be wrong do you? You seem to be divulging information not available to public at this point in an ongoing investigation. By doing so, it may be interfering with the investigation and perception in the public's eye. I hope since you have no first hand information they you are not being set up by your connections. IOW, are you chasing police information or is someone in the know calling you keeping you informed of the situation. Seeing you are splattering your knowledge on this board I would think you are chasing information with some intent of bragging rights.
Are you a teenager? No one is interfering with anything 😂 I’m not “chasing” info or “splattering” anything. I don’t care about “bragging rights” because I post discussions like anyone else does here. If I know something I know it. If I don’t I may make an opinion. If I’m right 99.9% of the times I post on these boards great. I may post opinions on a variety of subjects but I don’t usually make declarative statements without pretty much knowing the details of the situation.

Show some proof of what you're claiming, or you're just another pretender, friend. Bring it, or leave it home; don't pretend to hide trump cards under the table.
I said the same thing a couple days ago and he never answered, not disputing what he is saying but i believe he is either FOS or has backchannels for info that he is not willing to say for fear of losing said informant. If that is the case then just say it.

Is it? Honestly, the actual in depth reporting and studies I've seen indicate it is the exception... anomaly. I'm not excusing any police abuse of power. I believe there is something far more intentional and insidious going on in our federal law enforcement organizations right now. However the people who enforce the law in our communities are not by and large corrupt or abusive. Certainly no more than the population as a whole and probably a lot less.
One case of police abuse of power is one too many. Police are humans and are not perfect. They are not properly trained and thrown into situations that they are ill equipped to handle.

1) Break-in or theft? Sure its harder to commit a well thought out theft, while drunk but I would say breaking-in to a residence is not.

but

2) "Very highly doubt" has no place in court though. The fact that he was drunk only shines light on the fact that he wasn't in his right mind. Most sober-minded people wouldn't commit theft in middle of the afternoon, when they have a higher chance of getting caught. The evidence and circumstance we're dealing with though is a non-sober-minded person.
Neither does "the seeming intention". You either know and can prove the intention or you can't.

One case of police abuse of power is one too many. Police are humans and are not perfect. They are not properly trained and thrown into situations that they are ill equipped to handle.
Agree. However on case of police abuse of power indicts ONLY those involved in that case. There are folks here generalizing it... applying it to all or "most" police.

Reactions: Sudden Impact
Are you a teenager? No one is interfering with anything 😂 I’m not “chasing” info or “splattering” anything. I don’t care about “bragging rights” because I post discussions like anyone else does here. If I know something I know it. If I don’t I may make an opinion. If I’m right 99.9% of the times I post on these boards great. I may post opinions on a variety of subjects but I don’t usually make declarative statements without pretty much knowing the details of the situation.
So now it is opinions and not facts. From your posts you seemed to believe that the investigation is almost complete and it is a locked down case that JM is guilty. I guess you have seen JM's interview with his lawyer present and do you know his version of what happen. Have you seen the witness statements as to what they directly saw? You are more than excited to share your information retrieved from an unknown source that may be credible or not. So more or less you have hearsay information? I have no doubt you have some information but what is your real motive regarding this case. Let the process take place. It appears you have already put this case to bed with conviction and without knowing the entire story. There is the drunk's version, JM's version and somewhere in the middle is the truth. What did JM's version statement say, since you seem to know it all.

I agree this is a fair point and JM would have more to stand on though if he had been inside the apartment when the physical fight occurred. You can’t claim self defense while chasing after someone in public cussing and threatening them
What if JM thought he took something like a set of car keys or a wallet or something of value. I would pursue and ask questions. Not going to let a person open the door have access and not ask questions. We do not know at this point JM may not have seen him enter and walk in an saw him in the room and the drunk said I am sorry and left. Wouldn't you ask questions and see what happen. It could have escalated in the hallway with smart a** answers. All speculation but this is another side of the story we have not heard yet

Reactions: WallyBalls
The craziest part of this story is that the police went and arrested a guy for punching a drunkass in the face after he had barged into his private residence. The idiot should have learned his lesson and paid the dentist for his lapse in judgment, then perhaps quit drinking or go to rehab.

I'll add this: if JM was a white rich kid in a bougie condo and had punched a drunk black guy for home intrusion, you would have never heard a thing about the story.

100% agree. If you're social drinking at a friend's place and walk into the wrong building because you're unfamiliar with the location and it looks the same and accidentally walk into the wrong room after knocking, you deserve to be knocked down a flight of concrete stairs and left unconscious and bleeding from your head.

Totally reasonable response. As is trying to make it about race.

Agree. However on case of police abuse of power indicts ONLY those involved in that case. There are folks here generalizing it... applying it to all or "most" police.
I think it's more an indictment that sometimes, police circle the wagons to protect their own when their own does something wrong. There is a code of silence, a retaliation in some cases. Even preferential treatment. They wield an awful lot of power and can change the trajectory of someone's life.

Neither does "the seeming intention". You either know and can prove the intention or you can't.
You can’t know someone’s intentions. It would the CDLs job to provide enough evidence to prove that there was or wasn’t intention to commit criminal activity. Several of the circumstances that are public knowledge at this point certainly go against the man that entered McCulloughs residence. There’s also certainly a precedence of what McCullough perceived the intention of this man to be. If he or his girlfriend felt in danger that could be perceived as intent to do them harm and in most states it would be viable to use force to defend yourself or your home.

I think it's more an indictment that sometimes, police circle the wagons to protect their own when their own does something wrong. There is a code of silence, a retaliation in some cases. Even preferential treatment. They wield an awful lot of power and can change the trajectory of someone's life.
I kind of see that as a local phenomenon... and primarily urban.

Reactions: LadyVolette
You can’t know someone’s intentions. It would the CDLs job to provide enough evidence to prove that there was or wasn’t intention to commit criminal activity. Several of the circumstances that are public knowledge at this point certainly go against the man that entered McCulloughs residence. There’s also certainly a precedence of what McCullough perceived the intention of this man to be. If he or his girlfriend felt in danger that could be perceived as intent to do them harm and in most states it would be viable to use force to defend yourself or your home.

Except it's not though. The victim has not been charged with anything and has no need to prove his intentions.

And even if McCollough perceived his intentions to be nefarious, that doesn't give him the right to commit assault. I'm all for the Castle Doctrine and Stand Your Ground laws, 100% support the right to defend yourself and your property up to and including the use of deadly force. But it doesn't give me the right to shoot the guy who knocks on my door at dinner trying to sell me storm windows.

For all the, "Well, what ifs" how come none of you have floated the much more realistic scenario of "Well, what if JM is just an @sshole?" It's not a scenario any of us want, but it's a hole Hell of a lot more likely than some of the theories a few of ya'll are throwing out.

Reactions: Rickyvol77

VN Store

Back