Jalen Hurd Struggling

We got fans (that's plural) who quit on their Vols and leave the stadium in mid-game. Remember when we fell behind the Gators? A bunch of folks left in disgust, only to find we rallied to win in the second half of the game. So if you're going to hate on Hurd, hate on the fans who quit as well. Maybe include Tennesseans who left the state to live and work elsewhere too. Be careful as that would include ole Davey Crockett. I'm not proud of what Hurd did and hate it as much as any without hating him. My take was that something must have happened big time for him to make that decision. Not being on the team or working for UT Vols, I didn't know what it was. But I knew whatever it was, the man had reached a breaking point. I know from experience and observation, people can break. Some handle it in extremely unfortunate ways, very unfortrunate ways.
?

Pulling for Hurd, but that's a terrible comparison.

I take longer getting over speed bumps than I did Hurd leaving. Some of you guys dwell on stuff that doesn’t matter. As a result we got to watch a very talented Kamara finally get the touches he should have gotten all along. Always figured there were two sides to the story....as usual.

He leads the team in catches, yards and TD's. He's already got 18 catches for 251 yards and 2 TD's starting in the slot. Does not sound like he's struggling to me. For comparison our top 2 WR's COMBINED have the same number of catches for 50 more yards and 0 TD's. Don't hate just to have he's doing fine and I for one hope he keeps it up 4 drops in 3 games when u put up those numbers isn't bad especially for a guy learning the position.

Comparing just the numbers does not tell the whole story considering the type of offense that is run at Baylor.

Baylor - on the season has thrown the ball 140 times for 1241 yards. JH has 22 catches (15.7% of team attempts) for 311 yards (25.1% of passing yards).
TN - on the season has thrown the ball 85 times for 771 yards. MC has 14 catches (15.5% of team attempts) for 210 yards (27.2% of passing yards).

The stats, once normalized, are pretty even. However, JH does have 2 TDs compared to MC's 0. I wish JH all the best and hope he has a successful season and NFL career.

Reactions: BUBear
Hurd has made a huge impact in his first and only season on the gridiron at Baylor. A transfer from Tennessee, Hurd led the Bears with 69 receptions and 946 yards in the regular season. He scored four touchdowns through the air.

The Hendersonville, Tenn. native also contributed on the ground with 209 rushing yards and three scores.

From today’s Dallas Morning News. Offered without comment.

Jalen Hurd, a converted running back, made a promise after he let a ball slip through his grasp in the fourth quarter of the UT-San Antonio game: "I won't let it happen again, Hurd said.

However, good intentions don't always get the job done when a bullet pass is zipping your way and a free safety is lining you up. Hurd had two drops within the span of three plays against Duke, and leads the team with four drops on the year.

"Jalen Hurd stays after practice and probably catches 300 balls," Rhule said. "We just have to keep pushing."
That’s determination u should salute

Changing positions ain’t easy esp when u were the monster he was in hs

Hating on kid cuz he left ur team is so petty I never once hated on cam newton and he won a damn title

If he could possibly experience great success at the next level, he would erase any argument that he is a quitter just because he bailed out of the compost heap in Knoxville. Oh the delicious angst if he were to become an all-pro with the Falcons, Titans or anyone really! Go Jalen!

I take longer getting over speed bumps than I did Hurd leaving. Some of you guys dwell on stuff that doesn’t matter. As a result we got to watch a very talented Kamara finally get the touches he should have gotten all along. Always figured there were two sides to the story....as usual.
While I agree with you we had two different backs for two different schemes. Hurd didn't match really what we run but Kamara did. But Hurd was our #1 back and at the time he was on pace to break some RB records here. I think he got tired of the RPO offense and probably pissed off some coaches letting them know that. He wanted to switch but coaches here said no. Still love to see him run though.

I wish the guy nothing but the best. I think he handled it poorly, but I probably would have as well at that age. He put up with a lot of nonsense and tried hard to put TN back on top.

Reactions: kiddiedoc and SDV
While I agree with you we had two different backs for two different schemes. Hurd didn't match really what we run but Kamara did. But Hurd was our #1 back and at the time he was on pace to break some RB records here. I think he got tired of the RPO offense and probably pissed off some coaches letting them know that. He wanted to switch but coaches here said no. Still love to see him run though.

Yeah, I don't have a problem at all with Hurd making the decision he thought was best. I think I just saw a fantastic one/two punch combination with Hurd and Kamara and Jones just didn't get it or see it. And Hurd was one of the better set of hands out of the backfield that I've seen. Kamara in the backfield and line Hurd up at TE a few times a game, count me in. Too bad we'll never know. I hope Hurd gets in the NFL and has a great career.

Reactions: VolNExile
I wish the guy nothing but the best. I think he handled it poorly, but I probably would have as well at that age. He put up with a lot of nonsense and tried hard to put TN back on top.
Agree completely. I'm sure he regrets leaving, but oh well

Reactions: VolNExile
Yeah, I don't have a problem at all with Hurd making the decision he thought was best. I think I just saw a fantastic one/two punch combination with Hurd and Kamara and Jones just didn't get it or see it. And Hurd was one of the better set of hands out of the backfield that I've seen. Kamara in the backfield and line Hurd up at TE a few times a game, count me in. Too bad we'll never know. I hope Hurd gets in the NFL and has a great career.
With Hurd, Kamara and Dobbs, we should have finished first in the East. Absolutely pathetic we didn’t with that talent.

With Hurd, Kamara and Dobbs, we should have finished first in the East. Absolutely pathetic we didn’t with that talent.
A competent (not even really good, just competent) coach wins the East in 2015 and 2016 and probably gives Alabama a run for their money in the SECCG game both years, especially 2015. The 2015 team had already given Alabama a run for their money during the regular season. Both teams would have gone 10-2 or 11-1.

Dobbs + Kamara should have been a dynamite combo in the read option offense Butch liked to run. It also would've opened up the passing game and Dobbs would have been a better passer. Even if Butch was married to Hurd as his RB, he still could've gotten Kamara on the field regularly as part of a 2-back set or as a slot receiver. It seemed like any time Kamara was on the field a play was called that was designed to get him the ball, as if he was some gadget player. For some reason he was never seen as a integral or consistent part of that offense. Butch left so much toothpaste in that tube.

VN Store

Back