Jack Jancek Not Mentioned

Good grief. The **** people get raged about these days is absurd.

Take a walk.
What you said didn’t “rage” me. I actually agree with your overall point. However, it doesn’t make it right. But I have to admit that false journalism does chap my ass to no end. Being in California you should understand as well as anyone the pure hate that false journalism/slanted truths create. I’m pretty sure your state leads the nation in reported misinformation that leads to bigger issues on political subjects. All I’m saying is if they can’t report without a slanted truth in real world issues, at least give us sports without bias while being on the brink of a second civil war and racial tensions are growing because of those exact journalistic tactics. They’re already in the process of ruining the country, don’t ruin sports too.

Oh, so I’m sure that means he will be our new #1 WR then.

Y’all are being ridiculous with this.

There is nothing ridiculous about crediting a player for good performance on the field. Without pirouetting into delusions, I did think Jancek appeared fast and athletic for someone his size -- with awareness, coordination, and good hands. He was where he was supposed to be, and he caught the ball. The kid looks like a player who will be in the mix this season. I don't think Huepel is the kind of coach who promotes or holds back a player because of his name or skin color. Of course, it was spring game. A lot of players look good in spring game, but Jancek looks like he's earning a shot, and my guess is we'll see him again.

Last edited:
If the Vols can get opponents to cover Jancek with slow walk on DBs, he has a chance to be great.

But, good for him on Saturday. Got his chance to shine in Neyland and took advantage of the opportunity. He wins the David Yancey Spring Game award.

There is nothing ridiculous about crediting a player for good performance on the field. Without pirouetting into delusions, I did think Jancek appeared fast and athletic for someone his size -- with awareness, coordination, and good hands. He was where he was supposed to be, and he caught the ball. The kid looks like a player who will be in the mix this season. I don't think Huepel is the kind of coach who promotes or holds back a player because of his name or skin color. Of course, it was spring game. A lot of players look good in spring game, but Jancek looks like he's earning a shot, and my guess is we'll see him again.
Sounds good and I hope he’s the next Jerry Rice, but let’s also acknowledge that he has not been mentioned in any serious capacity until he made two catches in a glorified scrimmage. My point is that you all are making a huge leap based upon almost nothing and then getting pissed off at the media for not giving him some credit in post game analysis.

It’s just really dumb.

Reactions: irish1485
What you said didn’t “rage” me. I actually agree with your overall point. However, it doesn’t make it right. But I have to admit that false journalism does chap my ass to no end. Being in California you should understand as well as anyone the pure hate that false journalism/slanted truths create. I’m pretty sure your state leads the nation in reported misinformation that leads to bigger issues on political subjects. All I’m saying is if they can’t report without a slanted truth in real world issues, at least give us sports without bias while being on the brink of a second civil war and racial tensions are growing because of those exact journalistic tactics. They’re already in the process of ruining the country, don’t ruin sports too.
I live in Atlanta now, and yes, California is a dysfunctional hell hole. That said, you are bringing in a lot of outside frustration into a area where it doesn’t belong.

The Knoxville media isn’t the NYT, Washington Post, CNN, et al. They don’t claim to be and should never be misconstrued as such. They are mostly fans trying to scratch out a living reporting on the team. The lack of emphasis on Jancek isn’t some conspiracy to hurt the kid. He isn’t a factor on this team, period. Yes, even after his scrimmage performance.

Does that change down the road? Maybe, but doubtful. And other than a couple of you posters that have an odd need for him to be “acknowledged”, none of their consumers are clamoring for analysis of this kid.

Yes, the national media is a biased disgrace, but let’s not stuff a square peg into a round hole that the local sports reporters are somehow also a part of the politicization of the media.

I have read two Volquest write ups that list out the wr units post O&W game and neither had mentioned Jancek’s performance. Are the other publications leaving him out as well? What gives?
Most likely because he is very unlikely to see any competitive playing time. He had a great day playing against UT's practice squad DB's but with guys seriously competing to be UT's QB's.

UT had a RB several years back who looked really good in the O&W game... and never took a competitive snap as a Vol.

Maybe Jancek is a lot faster than what I'm thinking... but the reason no one is writing about him is they don't expect him to be a factor.

Sounds good and I hope he’s the next Jerry Rice, but let’s also acknowledge that he has not been mentioned in any serious capacity until he made two catches in a glorified scrimmage. My point is that you all are making a huge leap based upon almost nothing and then getting pissed off at the media for not giving him some credit in post game analysis.

It’s just really dumb.
CA, one thing we as a community railed against for the past three years was coaches not making personnel decisions based on how the lads played under game conditions. Remember? JG being a great "practice" QB, but not doing well on Saturdays? Week after week of him apparently being the best Monday to Friday, then losing the games?

That's all folks are asking in this thread. That the guy who makes great plays under game conditions (or as close as we can get to them so far) be recognized for making plays. If Jancek was suddenly awesome for the first time this past weekend after a mediocre spring camp, well, he still did what we want him and the rest of the lads to do: be great on game days, make plays, and win.

So I totally understand the OP's complaint. And that makes twice in these last few days that the media's spring camp biases (justified or not) seemed askew from what we saw in Neyland. The media was lukewarm these past few weeks on Bailey, who had the best QB performance of the day, and they never mentioned Jancek, who really played well.

No one is asking them (or the coaches, who really count) to automatically crown either Bailey or Jancek starters. There's a lot of off-season still to go. But the media ought to at least acknowledge when a lad does well in the O&W game.

Go Vols!

Last edited:

It’s just really dumb.

Every person has gaps. One writer did not cover Jancek in his article. I read another writer who did cover Jancek but went light on a few other players. I don't see either as something unusual or upsetting.

Last edited:
Reactions: CA_Vol
General comment about the quality of our journalists covering the Vols.

A guy or gal who has decided to make sports reporting their thing, they ought to know the sports they cover. And I mean, know them well. Maybe not high school head coach well, but at least as well as the average reader. You know, as good as you or me.

Trouble is, a lot of these fellas don't seem to. They huddle up together on the sidelines, and if one of them say Smith is looking really good today, half of the rest will jot down, "Smith looking good today," and report on it. Out of the ten or so journalists who spend a lot of time with the team, I'm betting maybe three know football better than me. None seem to know football as well as the average college football player or graduate assistant.

So they can't pick out the best. They don't know (in detail) what they're seeing. They do know if a lad makes or catches a big pass. They do know if one of the big uglies on offense pancakes one of the big uglies on defense. But they can't tell you if that success was a result of great technique by the lad involved, or just luck (sometimes, it's just luck). They don't know enough about the sport to tell the difference.

I think this is why there's a tendency not to believe our regular local journalists. We pay attention to what they write, because we're starved for information. They have access we don't. We depend on them. But we don't believe them or trust them.

At least, that's the way it seems.

So when half of them don't react well to Jancek having a great day, for example (and he did), it's because they're freezing up. They don't know what that signifies. They don't know if he's a commodity heating up or not. They only know Jancek's performance doesn't fit the mold of the past three weeks. So they freeze up, like a deer in the headlights.

Maybe I'm being unfair to them. Maybe there are a few among them who really do know the sport well. If so, though, they're hiding it from me. And I'm talking about the "good" ones here, leave aside the utterly incompetent hacks like that young Calhoun.

Heh, okay, sorry, off the soapbox.

Go Vols!

Jancek is a walk on D1 SEC player. He knows, by now, not to expect a lot of ink and recognition.

Great catch. Really fun way for O/W Game to end and I'm sure he had a blast. If he gets dubbed "White Rice" in the locker room all year, good for him. If he gets to rag on the CB he smoked, good for him. It was, likely, the only in-game TD he'll score in Neyland and I hope he shows the video to his grandkids and they think he's the coolest pawpaw ever.

If he gets any or all of the above, who needs ink?

I'm happy for Jancek, but we see this happen all the time in Spring games where a guy makes a few plays and then you never hear from him again. I don't think it's evidence of journalist malpractice. They just realize what they're watching.

How disappointing is this. A redshirt freshman, from Knoxville, does well, but some of the, oh so wise/experienced Tennessee football fans, are here to tell him he’s not worth notice or encouraging, because they, and the journalists, KNOW, he’ll never amount to anything as a football player. In fact, in his entire football future, he will never score a touchdown at Tennessee.

Why is he on the team, why should he even try to catch those passes? So, some TN “fans,” have prejudged him and found him wanting before he ever plays a game at Tennessee.

Gotta say, I hope he proves you wrong, but right now he’s not a disappointment, you are.

How disappointing is this. A redshirt freshman, from Knoxville, does well, but some of the, oh so wise/experienced Tennessee football fans, are here to tell him he’s not worth notice or encouraging, because they, and the journalists, KNOW, he’ll never amount to anything as a football player. In fact, in his entire football future, he will never score a touchdown at Tennessee.

Why is he on the team, why should he even try to catch those passes? So, some TN “fans,” have prejudged him and found him wanting before he ever plays a game at Tennessee.

Gotta say, I hope he proves you wrong, but right now he’s not a disappointment, you are.
No one is really saying he won't amount to anything but maybe hold off on claiming he needs to play based on one practice. We've seen plenty of no names pop up during an O&W game only to never be seen again

CA, one thing we as a community railed against for the past three years was coaches not making personnel decisions based on how the lads played under game conditions. Remember? JG being a great "practice" QB, but not doing well on Saturdays? Week after week of him apparently being the best Monday to Friday, then losing the games?

That's all folks are asking in this thread. That the guy who makes great plays under game conditions (or as close as we can get to them so far) be recognized for making plays. If Jancek was suddenly awesome for the first time this past weekend after a mediocre spring camp, well, he still did what we want him and the rest of the lads to do: be great on game days, make plays, and win.

So I totally understand the OP's complaint. And that makes twice in these last few days that the media's spring camp biases (justified or not) seemed askew from what we saw in Neyland. The media was lukewarm these past few weeks on Bailey, who had the best QB performance of the day, and they never mentioned Jancek, who really played well.

No one is asking them (or the coaches, who really count) to automatically crown either Bailey or Jancek starters. There's a lot of off-season still to go. But the media ought to at least acknowledge when a lad does well in the O&W game.

Go Vols!
Fair enough, but underlying your premise is the idea that the Knoxville sports media is engaged in some sort of conspiracy to not give Jancek his due. I think this is simply wrongheaded and is putting way too much emphasis on what the O&W game really is and what it actually reveals about the players.

Reactions: VFL-82-JP
No one is really saying he won't amount to anything but maybe hold off on claiming he needs to play based on one practice. We've seen plenty of no names pop up during an O&W game only to never be seen again
I read the entire thread, also see post #61, so nice/condescending, saying “it was, likely, the only in-game TD he’ll score in Neyland.”

I read the entire thread, also see post #61, so nice/condescending, saying “it was, likely, the only in-game touchdown he’ll score in Neyland”.
Odds are not in his favor of catching another in the fall

Fair enough, but underlying your premise is the idea that the Knoxville sports media is engaged in some sort of conspiracy to not give Jancek his due. I think this is simply wrongheaded and is putting way too much emphasis on what the O&W game really is and what it actually reveals about the players.
Yeah, if it sounded like i was proposing a conspiracy, my bad. I didn't mean to say that at all. I just think some of the journalists are taking cues from the few who know a bit. That can APPEAR to be a conspiracy. Heh.

Reactions: CA_Vol
Since Paul Bain is gone, we need a new hero. I'll start.

Scientists claim evidence for global warming. They don't known that Jack Jancek was just cold and he turned the sun up.

When Jack Jancek touches water, he doesn't get wet. The water gets Jack Jancek.

A cobra once bit Jack Jancek. After five days of excruciating pain, the cobra died.

Reactions: tbh and VFL-82-JP

VN Store

Back