It's OFFICIAL... Tennessee is loaded for 2009/10

It was easy to say it when they were in college too. It's not as if their success was a surprise...everybody knew that roster was loaded before they started the season.

Without the benefit of hindsight reasoning, I'd take the 09-10 Wildcats over the '96 Wildcats.

Cal will just replace them with more elite talent.

Cal has yet to get the first player qualified to play for Kentucky! Not one of his "best class ever" has a qualifying test score! Now with all the attention being to Memphis and fraudulent test scores,he won't be able to use his normal avenues for getting these chumps in school! Kentucky is gonna get some on them playing with the squid!! HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! :rock:

They will be giving wins and schollys back in a few years,hope its worth it!!!!!

NCAA will :horse: that azz!!!

admittedly im a UT football fan but a Duke basketball fan, so im not too familiar with UT basketball. correct me if im wrong, didnt UT beat memphis two years ago when he was coaching there? and last year, UT only lost to memphis by 2 points? why is it hard to believe that UT cant beat Kentucky? really, im not being a smart ass, i just want to know...

UK will have a lot more talent on the floor than last years Memphis squad - and possible the same or more than they had two years ago - it will just be younger with the exception of PP and Meeks.

I don't buy this whole Kentucky hype. Patterson is soft, Meeks might not be back (even if he does he's overrated), and who knows if Wall will be the next Rose, I doubt it.

All we need is a couple of three point threats to open up the paint, then Tyler, Chism, and JP will look way better. As I said in the other thread, Hopson might take that freshman to sophomore leap, the other threats, who knows, hopefully someone will step up.

I see Tennessee in the 15-20 range, and Kentucky in the 10-15 range. So anything can happen in my mind.

:eek:lol:

? Did I miss something on Meeks? Is he for sure coming back? I mean, it seems like the smart decision, but I also thought Calathes going to Greece was dumb, so who knows. And I just don't buy into hype because of new freshmen. Rose was a great talent, and I wont compare Wall until I see. And I stand by my Patterson is soft statement. I'm sorry...I'm just not buying into the Kentucky hype yet, and saying this is a Final Four team is not right to me.

? Did I miss something on Meeks? Is he for sure coming back? I mean, it seems like the smart decision, but I also thought Calathes going to Greece was dumb, so who knows. And I just don't buy into hype because of new freshmen. Rose was a great talent, and I wont compare Wall until I see. And I stand by my Patterson is soft statement. I'm sorry...I'm just not buying into the Kentucky hype yet, and saying this is a Final Four team is not right to me.

Meeks will never be a good NBA player. He'd be dumb to leave - he's just not going to project well but he can atleast improve this year on getting to the basket.

For all those hating on Pearl heres some news for you: Tennessee is a Football School, always has been, probably always will be. i am a huge Tennessee fan and the job Bruce has done is perfectly fine with me. I live in VA and before Pearl i never got to see any Tennessee basketball games. i think i might have seen 2 games during Ron Slay's time but that was it before Pearl. i used to always have to put up with snobby, abnocious UVA fans talking trash to me about UT basketball. If you have ever met a UVA fan, you would know how ignorant and annoying they can be. They will stop at nothing in defending their cupcake athletics programs. A few years ago, UT beat UVA in the NCAA tourney and now UVA fans cant say anything to me. For this and getting UT basketball on national TV, i am eternally greatful to Bruce Pearl. Sure winning an NC would be nice but thats just unlikely. I am perfectly happy with at least getting to see my beloved Vols play. Thank you Bruce, go Vols.

Last edited:
For all those hating on Pearl heres some news for you: Tennessee is a Football School, always has been, probably always will be. i am a huge Tennessee fan and the job Bruce has done is perfectly fine with me. I live in VA and before Pearl i never got to see any Tennessee basketball games. i think i might have seen 2 games during Ron Slay's time but that was it before Pearl. i used to always have to put up with snobby, abnocious UVA fans talking trash to me about UT basketball. If you have ever met a UVA fan, you would know how ignorant and annoying they can be. They will stop at nothing in defending their cupcake athletics programs. A few years ago, UT beat UVA in the NCAA tourney and now UVA fans cant say anything to me. For this and getting UT basketball on national TV, i am eternally greatful to Bruce Pearl. Sure winning an NC would be nice but thats just unlikely. I am perfectly happy with at least getting to see my beloved Vols play. Thank you Bruce, go Vols.

Being a football school has never been, and will never be, an excuse for mediocrity in another sport.

Meeks will never be a good NBA player. He'd be dumb to leave - he's just not going to project well but he can atleast improve this year on getting to the basket.

I was on Scouts Kentucky board, by a real quick Google (time is scarce), and they sound pretty mixed on whether he stays or goes. Maybe he feels like his draft stock is as high as it will get with him getting less looks with the better talent on the roster. And it's not like he's immune to injury. And the talent pool is thin this year.

And I still stand by the Patterson is soft and Chism could handle him fine. But none of it matters without a three point threat on this team.

And we might be a football school, but in my last four years of college, basketball has just about given me the only thing to cheer for, including the 1vs2 matchup with Tennessee and Memphis. The only thing football did that compared was the 2005 matchup with LSU.

Being a football school has never been, and will never be, an excuse for mediocrity in another sport.

Mediocrity one year is better than being horrible for many years straight and making it to the sweet 16 2 straight years and being ranked #1 in the country(even if only for a day) is a little better than mediocre

Mediocrity one year is better than being horrible for many years straight and making it to the sweet 16 2 straight years and being ranked #1 in the country(even if only for a day) is a little better than mediocre

Last year was mediocre. It's nice to say our down year was a year in which we made the tournament... but it was still mediocre.

I do not think that Coach Pearl is the second coming of JC, but he is a close second for the Tennessee basketball program. Sometimes I forget that many posters on this board did not witness the lean years. I remember sitting through Wade Houston’s squad that went 5-20. I personally witnessed UK butcher us 101-40. I sat through years of Kevin O’Neil’s teams that had more offensive short comings then our last football team. I listened as Uncle Jed told us if we did not like it we could go to K-mart. His teams we stacked with talent I dare say as much as this program has ever had on the same court, but it amounted to jack. Uncle Jed was less than stellar at his job, but his records did not all ways reflect that fact. After Green the program had regained a modicum of hope, in my eyes things were beginning to turn around. Then Buzz quickly squashed that hope and drove us straight back into the ground. Devoe's last team was in 1989 and last NCAA team in 85, so aside for a couple of years under Green that were an illusion we had been aimlessly wondering in the desert for 20 years. The program was a laughing stock TBA was a morgue.
Then CBP arrived. Since that point TBA now has average attendance that ranks in the top 5 nationally. We have finished ahead of our main rival the last four years, been ranked #1, had two recruiting classes that were in the top ten etc... etc... etc...SO it is laughable when people get on here and start mouthing off about the job CBP has done or is doing. Last year was disappointing to everyone, me included. Most of my basketball knowledge was gleaned at the Camp of Champions run by Don Devoe and his assistants. For those to young to know CDD played at Ohio State with Bob Knight and then cut his teeth in coaching under Knight at West Point. So ruthless man to man D without all the switching and motion offensive with a lot of passing and ball movement are what I know. Pearl's frenetic, balls to the wall, sometimes sloppy teams can be hard to watch for someone like me. I do not agree with how he handled the Daniel West situation. I do not think CBP does a very good job at getting good looks during crunch time. With all that said the Program has life. We are a million miles away from the lean years. People look forward to basketball season!

No one can say how UK will look next year. On paper they are loaded. All of Joe B. Halls teams where loaded. I remember a team with Sam Bowie, Melvin Turpin, Derrick Hord, Bret Bearup, Dirk Minniefield, and Jim Master. Every one of those guys were All-Americans and two of them were 7' tall, which used to be much more of an advantage then it is today. We would go out there with no HS AA and certainly no 7' and whip them every year, just like we will this year.
As other posters have said AJ you need to read and scroll, unless your goal is to have everyone here dislike more than they all ready do.

I think with Tyler coming back Tennessee will be in the mix we still have to have like weezy said a couple of 3 point threats( Hopson can't be the only three point threat), we need to have good point guard play, and we need to have one or a couple of good quality defenders, what I mean by a good quality defender is not only a guy who can steel the ball away and score but also can guard the paint. That's why even though we may not have a chance we should go hard after that Josh Smith guy because he can guard the paint. If we can do those things then we will be a hard team to beat. Go Vols

Surely, I don't. Patterson is seriously, seriously overrated.

Agreed. Be and meeks are both massively overrated. Additionally, at least one of those great recruits will flop, maybe 2.

The 96 version was a dramatically better roster, hindsight or otherwise.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Agreed. Be and meeks are both massively overrated. Additionally, at least one of those great recruits will flop, maybe 2.

The 96 version was a dramatically better roster, hindsight or otherwise.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

No reality allowed...

You not get the memo ?

I agree with all of those who support Bruce!!!!!!! Bruce has raised all the fans expectations. We are talking about a down year when UT won the SEC East and 21 games. UT beat USC on the court. Therefore, UT should have been outright SEC East Champs!!!

I love his enthusiasm. I love the fact that he bought Tshirts for the students. Ticket sales have gone through the roof. Bruce has put a lot of life into what once was a flat program!!! UT has went to the NCAATournament all four years under Pearl !!!!!!! Yet, several want to bash Bruce. Anyone hating on Bruce is definitely ignorant, including Hat!!!

My only problems with Bruce are:

1) Maybe he conditions the team a little too hard during the regular season. They seem to be out of gas at the end of the year during the SEC and NCAA Tournamet. Regardless of the reason, the team must perform better in the post season!!!

2) Bruce needs to have a better record against UK!!!

3) I feel Bruce should recruit Gs that can shoot lights out consistently and a C like Joakim Noah who runs the floor to fit Bruce's style.

Bruce has owned the SEC East with the exception of UK. Donovan has had more talent at UF than Bruce at UT Bruce's entire career at UT. What is Bruce's record versus UF? It is 7-1, including 3-1 the years the Gators won two National Titles.

What has Bruce done at UT? He has lead UT to 3 East Div Titles, 1 East Div 2nd place, with 1 outright SEC Title in 4 years. Bruce is arguably our best basketball HC ever. Ray's teams won 71.3% of the games at UT, 70.5% in SEC.. Bruce's teams have played a tougher out of conference schedule and won 72.6% of the games, 71.9% in SEC. So, you guys need to layoff of Bruce!!! Bruce has done a great job at UT thus far!!!

Tennessee (Southeastern Conference) (2005–Present)
2005-06 Tennessee 22-8 12-4 1 - East NCAA 2nd Round
2006-07 Tennessee 24-11 10-6 2 - East NCAA Sweet Sixteen
2007-08 Tennessee 31-5 14-2 1 - East NCAA Sweet Sixteen
2008-09 Tennessee 21-13 10-6 T 1 - East NCAA 1st Round
Tennessee: 98-37 46-18
Total: 184-75

SEC record at Tennessee SEC School Wins Losses
Alabama 3 2
Arkansas 3 2
Auburn 3 2
Florida 7 1
Georgia 8 0
Kentucky 3 5
LSU 2 3
Mississippi 2 2
Mississippi State 4 1
South Carolina 8 2
Vanderbilt 6 2
TOTAL
(As of March 15, 2009)
49 22
Sec Tournament Record 3 4

Last edited:

Or he might look at how weak the draft pool is and decide this is a great time to be a first rounder.

VN Store

Back