"It's gonna be a nightmare to play against Tennessee" this year!

I don’t see us being better on offense than in 2022. That offense was special, like a once in a generation type of offense. We hadn’t had that kind of offensive power since 1997. If our offense is 75% of what it was in 2022, we have a decent defense, and with a little luck, it could be a special season.

Oh look, off-season happy talk, I'm sure you won't find that in basically every other fanbase. Sometimes it's true, most of the time it isn't, but what it always is to me after 40+ years of the following the sport is boring and not worth much.

EDITED TO ADD at 9:32 EST: Now that I am good and awake, I realize that when I first woke up I read some political stuff, and so perhaps I was a bit too cynical by the time I got here. It happens to me during election years.
I'm gonna guess you are talking about the sports media and not the football team.

I think they did a good job of addressing it in the offseason on the OL. Here's to hoping.
I agree, they did a good job. I just hope they play underclassman enough to really give them valuable experience. Because, we'll need to replace at least 3 starters in Mays-C, Spraggins-RG and Campbell-RT, but more likely 4 if our LG turns out to be a senior with no eligibility left.

I'm gonna guess you are talking about the sports media and not the football team.
Mostly, there are just certain things everybody says every year, it's like every new defensive coordinator that is hired by anyone is always "more aggressive" than the last. It's to the point that, if that were actually true, by now defenses should be so aggressive that they bury bouncing Betty's along the line of scrimmage. Lol.

Excellent analysis of the potential that our offense holds in 2024. See https://atozsports.com/nashville/college-football-news-tennessee-vols-offense-in-2024-nico/
I have said it before. No way should Nico have started before he did. A lot of people pointed to his performance in the bowl game stating he would have had better results than Joe throughout the season.

Personally, I think Joe would have lit Iowa even more than Nico did. You can’t underestimate experience. So, to the point of this article, probably a good thing they let Nico learn behind Joe and they did a great job with Joe, as I think his own capabilities improved and he got out of his head this last year which was good to see.

Regardless, Nico will be a different player starting this year than he would have last year. I hope our line will play a little better than they did last year and that Mays is healthy the entire season. That goes for all positions and players of course. And if it does, I think we will indeed see a boost this year.

I agree, they did a good job. I just hope they play underclassman enough to really give them valuable experience. Because, we'll need to replace at least 3 starters in Mays-C, Spraggins-RG and Campbell-RT, but more likely 4 if our LG turns out to be a senior with no eligibility left.
Bringing in Heard was huge, but I don't see proven depth behind our OTs or Mays.

Reactions: vegasvolfan
I don’t know. 2022 went the way it did mainly because Hooker and the receivers had the previous full season to get in sync and knew each other so well by then. Nico has started one game and the wide receiver group will look a bit different again this year too. Maybe he will be so dynamic that it won’t matter, but I’m expecting some growing pains. 9-3 type growing pains mind you, but still…

Agree completely. I would have liked to have seen more rotation in 23, but certainly expect to see it in 24. We have to get guys ready.

I worry about losing Mayes in my spare time. Seriously, our production dropped off so much without him.

a good bit better than 2022? impossible. that was 46 ppg, if we're a good bit better than that we'll win the national championship by beating the hell out of everyone and will go down as the best team to ever play CFB.
Easy killer UGA wont be a cake walk

I don’t see us being better on offense than in 2022. That offense was special, like a once in a generation type of offense. We hadn’t had that kind of offensive power since 1997. If our offense is 75% of what it was in 2022, we have a decent defense, and with a little luck, it could be a special season.
For me it’s as difficult to say one way or the other. I had Nico and company pegged as putting up something special his junior year. There’s something special about having a year of experience running an offense in real situations under your belt. However, Nico’s poise, his center, his arsenal and his backs have me believing it’s quite possible we could be really really good on offense this year. More than 75% of two years ago. I think the biggest ? is how the rest of the line plays.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc

VN Store

Back