Israel vs Palestinians

Nope.

There is no limit on Freedom of Speech per se. It is only when you begin to infringe on others property rights that you are, rightfully, limited.

You can stand in Times Square and say you believe all the Jews should be gassed.
You cannot stand in Times Square and say “I am going to kill all the Jews in Times Square”.
You couldnt make those statements against say Congress or any authority.

You couldnt make those statements against say Congress or any authority.
Eh it’s touchy with Federal officials, and you better be careful with what/how you say it.

But yea I believe that “I hope all of Congress dies” is protected speech.
You cannot say - “I am going to blow up Congress”

Eh it’s touchy with Federal officials, and you better be careful with what/how you say it.

But yea I believe that “I hope all of Congress dies” is protected speech.
You cannot say - “I am going to blow up Congress”
Agreed. To give example, We even display Giant meteor 2024 bumper stickers.

Reactions: 85SugarVol
Understood. It was done and she wasn't punished. She was hassled, though.

You can't say I'm gonna do X to Y politician.

We dont wanna live in a country with restricted speech.
I guess statement and actionable intent
I was merely pointing out that the political class seems to have more protection than us rubes

I guess statement and actionable intent
I was merely pointing out that the political class seems to have more protection than us rubes
For sure. And I don’t recommend exercising your right to protected speech with a Federal Official - you might end up winning a stupid prize…

Reactions: Orangeburst
Agree. They hide behind their power. Cowards.

We should be more protected than they.
Should these students be expelled?

ie Harvard ROC

Honesty, civility, respect, and academic integrity play a vital role in maintaining our high standards of excellence. When you join our community you accept these values and agree to meet our expectations and adhere to our student conduct policies.

ie Harvard ROC

Honesty, civility, respect, and academic integrity play a vital role in maintaining our high standards of excellence. When you join our community you accept these values and agree to meet our expectations and adhere to our student conduct policies.
I would not have any issue with it. Speech is protected from government but carries consequences.

I think public universities have to allow free speech but can require it to be permitted by the university and/or in designated outdoor spaces. Private likely has no policy.

Reactions: Orangeburst

ie Harvard ROC

Code of Conduct != Freedom of Speech

University codes of conduct are much more strict (just like workplace codes of conduct) - they will kick your ass out for what you say.

These students are absolutely violating their school’s codes of conduct.

And if they weren’t chanting “F the Jews” and “We are all Hamas”, and instead were chanting “F the Gays” and “We are all the Klan” - they would have been gone yesterday.

I would not have any issue with it. Speech is protected from government but carries consequences.

I think public universities have to allow free speech but can require it to be permitted by the university and/or in designated outdoor spaces. Private likely has no policy.
I disagree. You are absolutely not entitled to unfettered freedom of speech at UNC - Chapel Hill (a public university).

They will 100% boot your ass if you run afoul of the wrong group.

I disagree. You are absolutely not entitled to unfettered freedom of speech at UNC - Chapel Hill (a public university).

They will 100% boot your ass if you run afoul of the wrong group.
I'm not sure. One of those right wing folks goes to campuses to talk to students and films it for his channel. He's able to be there (he says) because it's a public school and has to allow free speech.

My message for the „students“
View attachment 636612
Thank you for your support of Aaron Bushnell...

“Many of us like to ask ourselves, ‘What would I do if I was alive during slavery? Or the Jim Crow South? Or apartheid? What would I do if my country was committing genocide?’ The answer is, you're doing it. Right now.”
Self-immolation_of_Aaron_Bushnell_Image_fair_use.png

I'm not sure. One of those right wing folks goes to campuses to talk to students and films it for his channel. He's able to be there (he says) because it's a public school and has to allow free speech.
They have to allow equal opportunity to opposing views (or are supposed to, unless they shut it down for “security” reasons).

But students. Students cannot stand in the commons and say anything they want. If the university deems it in violation of their CoC - they can expel them.

Reactions: Pennheel and McDad
Code of Conduct != Freedom of Speech

University codes of conduct are much more strict (just like workplace codes of conduct) - they will kick your ass out for what you say.

These students are absolutely violating their school’s codes of conduct.

And if they weren’t chanting “F the Jews” and “We are all Hamas”, and instead were chanting “F the Gays” and “We are all the Klan” - they would have been gone yesterday.
great point. well if one has the power to employ proven plagarists yet expel any student of the same, I suppose one can do whatever the heck they want. Like progressive SJWs in a nutshell, there are justifiable deviations at the whims of the leadership ideology.

VN Store

Back