Is your apathy at an all time high???

I don't want to care. I don't want to invest time and energy but for some reason can't not care. Have to watch, have to cheer and yell at the tv and still think we have a shot at winning the game until we don't. Will definitely watch this Saturday. Go Vols beat the War Eagles.

Yes, marginalize and divide further. That'll definitely fix our problem.

Are you in politics?

Nope.... don't have the stomach for politics. How is calling a spade a spade going to further divide our fanbase? Those that want to pontificate and share their truths about players and coaches shortcomings but find a way to logically dismiss that their individual or collective rants in public forums can cost us recruits can earn no respect from me, and I SUSPECT many others.... but to put it in perspective add up all the screen names involved and subtract from say just 102,455 and that will put things back in perspective. My objective was to encourage those who will not sell out the program by venting about the current results. Those that trust in their deductive reasoning about the proper solution path do scare me just a little, Arrogance is definitely in play and is rarely a virtue. It is often easily identified by presence of declarative statements and the absence of questions. There also SEEMS to be an impact on these boards, it APPEARS that many folks are staying off the boards not willing to wade thru the crap to get to real info about the program and the kids who play. I miss those folks that have real info they shared in the more active forums. The fan quality coefficient has definitely suffered.

Nope.... don't have the stomach for politics. How is calling a spade a spade going to further divide our fanbase? Those that want to pontificate and share their truths about players and coaches shortcomings but find a way to logically dismiss that their individual or collective rants in public forums can cost us recruits can earn no respect from me, and I SUSPECT many others.... but to put it in perspective add up all the screen names involved and subtract from say just 102,455 and that will put things back in perspective. My objective was to encourage those who will not sell out the program by venting about the current results. Those that trust in their deductive reasoning about the proper solution path do scare me just a little, Arrogance is definitely in play and is rarely a virtue. It is often easily identified by presence of declarative statements and the absence of questions. There also SEEMS to be an impact on these boards, it APPEARS that many folks are staying off the boards not willing to wade thru the crap to get to real info about the program and the kids who play. I miss those folks that have real info they shared in the more active forums. The fan quality coefficient has definitely suffered.

Subdividing and naming groups of fans, and defining their worthiness to the program is what I was referring to.

I do find the assertion that anonymous remarks on a fan forum (hardly the venue that teenagers and twenty-somethings choose to communicate on) costs us recruiting capital to be a stretch at best. I have been reminded through my years here, many times, that nothing we say on these boards matters, that we are spitting in the wind. You would seem to have information that runs counter to that. I would love to see your evidence.

If you expect to come to a fan forum and not have fans "venting about the current results", than I would submit you have woefully misunderstood what goes on here. Whose deductive reasoning should we pay attention to...yours?

I would suggest that a downward spiraling season, no real hope of a coaching search anytime soon, and a rapidly growing sense of apathy may be responsible for your perceived sense that people are vacating the boards...not the "crap" they have to wade through. I mean, you're here, and you seem far more bothered by it than anyone else.

It is good though, that we have you here to bump the curve a little on the fan quality coefficient. Keep up the good work.

God bless.

I was pretty apathetic during the Kevin O’Neill basketball years. That was my low. Now doesn’t count because I’m getting on in age and sports in general just doesn’t mean nearly as much to me.

Subdividing and naming groups of fans, and defining their worthiness to the program is what I was referring to.

I do find the assertion that anonymous remarks on a fan forum (hardly the venue that teenagers and twenty-somethings choose to communicate on) costs us recruiting capital to be a stretch at best. I have been reminded through my years here, many times, that nothing we say on these boards matters, that we are spitting in the wind. You would seem to have information that runs counter to that. I would love to see your evidence.

If you expect to come to a fan forum and not have fans "venting about the current results", than I would submit you have woefully misunderstood what goes on here. Whose deductive reasoning should we pay attention to...yours?

I would suggest that a downward spiraling season, no real hope of a coaching search anytime soon, and a rapidly growing sense of apathy may be responsible for your perceived sense that people are vacating the boards...not the "crap" they have to wade through. I mean, you're here, and you seem far more bothered by it than anyone else.

It is good though, that we have you here to bump the curve a little on the fan quality coefficient. Keep up the good work.

God bless.

So you do not believe that prospects, and especially family members and mentors jump on these boards to get a feel for the school or at least the fanbase? I find that hard to believe..... we have actually had prospect and then players parents post on the boards I concentrate pn.....

Not apathetic. Disgusted. I never understood how Dolphin fans could wish to lose, so they could get higher draft pics. Now I do. Will consider every loss a good thing if it helps to get rid of Pruitt.
We said the same thing with Dooley and Butch. I remember joining in on those conversations.

So you do not believe that prospects, and especially family members and mentors jump on these boards to get a feel for the school or at least the fanbase? I find that hard to believe..... we have actually had prospect and then players parents post on the boards I concentrate pn.....
Not in any appreciable amount...certainly not in a capacity that would effect recruiting. The fact that you say "I find that hard to believe" rather than posting proof shows me what orifice that statement was pulled from.

I have a son that plays college football. He gives me a hard time for posting on this board. Kids communicate on social media...Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat. Facebook and Forums like this are for a different generation.

Reactions: 82_VOL_83
It’s staring me down, wearing a crown of apathy, yeah

Well I’m standing around, dressed like a clown, you don’t know my name you know where to find me, yeah

Reactions: Bigorange123
I didn't watch the game tonight, instead opting to hang out with a friend at a brewery.

Pruitt doesn't give a flying f*** about the team, so why should I?

Well...I did not yell a single time at the tv. I did roll my eyes a few (several) times. No excitement out of me, no anger with horrible plays. Kinda like I was watching Sesame Street with my grandson....

Now at the point of "it is what it is" and just ask "when does basketball start?".

Yep. Apathy overload...and this old guy has never felt like this before...even with Dooley and Jones, I would still get mad. Just figured now if no one on the Hill cares about the state of our football, why should I?

Worst part about it? I don't really care how apathetic I am now.

Watched a movie I have seen 2 times and enjoyed it much more than if I had watched the game. I can come on here after the game and get the recap very quickly and I didn't have to watch a second of the garbage.

Absolutely. In years past I have been a diehard “I have to be there at the opening kickoff” kind of guy. After this year’s SC game, I had a deja vu moment of last year’s opening game, then Mizzou came and I thought “nah I’m crazy”, and the rest has been history. Heck, tonight I didn’t even tune in until halfway through the second quarter. Then after JG’s pick, I turned over to watch MSU vs UGA—I’ve never stopped watching a UG game, even when we get pounded by Bama every year. I know we’ll be a 6-6 or 7-5 at best team under Pruitt. And if the past three coaching searches have taught me anything, it’s that I can’t trust the admin with another coaching search, which is why I laugh at people truly believing if we fired Pruitt, they’d hire Meyer or Freeze. So, I anticipate my apathy to continue into next year, and when we hire Unnamed Coordinator as his replacement, I’m sure it’ll continue into 2022 as well.

I haven’t watched a second of UT football since the UK game. I feel at this point the same level of apathy as I did after the UK loss under Dooley. I have zero faith that we’ll ever be anything higher than middling again. I expect us to stay a bottom feeder from here on out and not even be able to sniff the heels of UGA and UF chasing third in the East.
Which is quite the contrast to my girlfriend who is a lifelong diehard Steelers fan.

My apathy has been at a high level since Pruitt was hired.

I felt so let down after Currey (Currie? Can't remember) promised a big hire and then came through with Schiano.

I was even more disappointed when we hired a HC with literally no HC experience.

We hired Kiffin who was a losing coach before coming here.
We then hired Dooley who was a losing coach before coming here.

We then hired Butch who was actually a winning coach before coming here. It's not too shocking that we had our most success with him.

Then we hired Pruitt who literally had zero HC experience.

After the Pruitt hire I haven't been back to a game. I still watch but I refuse to spend any money on my university until they are willing to spend money.

News flash guys, UTAD is a big money operation. Look at Forbes net earnings over the years. UT is always at the top. Yet they bargain shop for coaches because they know we will continue to show up.

After the Pruitt hire, I was one of the ones who stopped showing up. Maybe you should too.

I expect us to lose; turned on the game (late because of my apathy) and was shocked to see us up 10-0. Watched until halftime and the world righted itself with Auburn climbing back in and our "we're not trying to score; okay now we're trying to score" before half only to have the QB not launch a pass with time running out. Went to dinner and didn't care to check the score - assumed we'd lose and was correct.

That's where I'm at. No hope; no care; no faith.

Ive been apathetic since 2017 and the 4-8 season, but yeah it’s progressively getting worse.

I’m starting to accept that Tennessee football is just not going to be good for a very long time.

It’s hard to get invested in a program when the outcome is so predictable. We’re in a rough spot financially because of COVID so it’s highly unlikely Pruitt is fired. The writing is on the wall but we’ll have to wait. And even then, whenever we do fire Pruitt, it’s hard to imagine the team being in a good spot for the next guy so it’ll just be the start of another rebuild.

I just need to find a new hobby.

VN Store

Back