Is your apathy at an all time high???

Is it worse than previous coaches??? Please share your opinion...

Don't read too much into what you see on the boards. Every generation has their share of those that think they have solutions to any period of under performance. I imagine the whole Covid thing has aggravated the situation, but there are still plenty of strong willed fans that will tough it out and be around when all the smoke clears. For those that don't have the fortitude I hope it becomes terminal apathy and they sign on somewhere else and share their brilliance with fans wearing other colors. I don't guess we have a new name for the folks CJM once identified as Legion of the Miserable. I don't think there is really a much larger percentage of the weak, just much easier with more social outlets to share their discontent.

The worst of the lot are those that want to hire a coach that does not value integrity, even some that would have the SEC open a branch compliance office in Knoxville. Of course they are willing to spend any amount of other peoples money to quite possibly bring in another string of saviors to The Hill. I am personally hoping that the current guy is requiring a longer coordinator to HC learning curve than anyone would like, but at least he does have quite the history of success at P5 schools in his previous role.... Might never make it, that is a risk, but it cannot be considered a certainty that he will not. I do fear he or his replacement are being negatively impacted with recruiting losses due to support folks doing a risk reward study based on the prolific levels of posts by those that are convinced a better solution is inherently available.

Maybe the rest of us, those not happy with where we are, but not willing to sell out the guys on the field by costing them talented teammates, should have a naming contest for the current group of those that are exercising their rights to expression seemingly trying to out-snark one another.... Guess we might need a name for the loyalists as well....

Reactions: Bigorange123
Don't read too much into what you see on the boards. Every generation has their share of those that think they have solutions to any period of under performance. I imagine the whole Covid thing has aggravated the situation, but there are still plenty of strong willed fans that will tough it out and be around when all the smoke clears. For those that don't have the fortitude I hope it becomes terminal apathy and they sign on somewhere else and share their brilliance with fans wearing other colors. I don't guess we have a new name for the folks CJM once identified as Legion of the Miserable. I don't think there is really a much larger percentage of the weak, just much easier with more social outlets to share their discontent.

The worst of the lot are those that want to hire a coach that does not value integrity, even some that would have the SEC open a branch compliance office in Knoxville. Of course they are willing to spend any amount of other peoples money to quite possibly bring in another string of saviors to The Hill. I am personally hoping that the current guy is requiring a longer coordinator to HC learning curve than anyone would like, but at least he does have quite the history of success at P5 schools in his previous role.... Might never make it, that is a risk, but it cannot be considered a certainty that he will not. I do fear he or his replacement are being negatively impacted with recruiting losses due to support folks doing a risk reward study based on the prolific levels of posts by those that are convinced a better solution is inherently available.

Maybe the rest of us, those not happy with where we are, but not willing to sell out the guys on the field by costing them talented teammates, should have a naming contest for the current group of those that are exercising their rights to expression seemingly trying to out-snark one another.... Guess we might need a name for the loyalists as well....
Yes, marginalize and divide further. That'll definitely fix our problem.

Are you in politics?

I'm ready to swallow my pride and take Kiffin. He knows this program. He knows the SEC. He's been inside Bama. He's matured and has been chomping at the bit for a second shot at this job. He'd certainly appreciate it now and I think he'd be extremely successful here if given another chance. Another plus is his offensive mindset. Tailor made for today's game.

If not Freeze, then Kiffin. Okay, count me in.

Yes. And honestly, it makes me sad. My family and I used to plan our day around the game... what to eat, etc. Now, sometimes we don’t even watch. I think COVID may play a part as well, but it’s mostly just how bad we are.

I've been a fan since 1985 and I've never been so bored with a team. I live in Alabama and am surrounded by Bama and Auburn fans which doesn't help matters. When the schedule came out this year I really thought we might beat Auburn. Even thought we might after our first 2 games. But Auburn seems to have found life and we stepped one foot in the grave. I'm dreading this Saturday now. Hope I'm wrong.

Mine is.... Fan since 1968. I remember the worst of years. Battle's last year. Majors starting at 0-6 in 88.. Jones and his last year, plus many mediocre years in between.. But after this run of basically 20 years without a great team ( 2001), my apathy has grown for the football program in general..
When the Vols lost in the past- it took me days to get over it, almost physically sick.. Now, I watch the game still cheer and hope.. But, when they lose I just go on with my life.. Sort of like the one gentleman said... Just numb to it all.....

Is it worse than previous coaches??? Please share your opinion...
In my opinion, it doesn't matter to me who the coaches (barring rape/violent crimes, etc) are as long as UT wins or at least show improvement from 1 year to the next. The most disheartening thing this season has shown me is that there is not improvement and the gaps are not closing (no matter how much Pruitt wants to claim they are) between the games that mean the most and you know which 3 I mean. Pruitt may have a great defensive mind and be able to call plays out before they happen, but that doesn't mean anything if you can't do the other things that a head coach needs to do.

Yes he needs more talent, but he will never get it playing like they have.

So you really think that what people are saying on a message board has more of a negative impact than putting an incompetent team on the field every single week? That somehow, us being upset with the product and results we are seeing are somehow worse than the results themselves. You pumpers need to stop blaming the part of the fanbase that is tired of the same old song and dance we've been doing for the last decade.

If it isn't... it is close. I just do not have a reason to "hope". I try to be realistic much to the chagrin of the "optimists" and "pessimists" here at times. But I am a "hopeful" person. I "hope" for the best outcomes while always trying to cover the contingencies.

At this point... I don't see UT winning with JG at QB. I do not anticipate Pruitt making a change. I fully expect JG to return next fall and be the starter. I don't believe Pruitt will be fired any earlier than the end of 2021... and probably not before the end of 2022. Fulmer is "loyal" to a fault and thinks he was wrongly fired too soon. The buyout doesn't help either.

I like Pruitt. I think he's a good teacher of the game. But I think he has a massive blind spot and cannot think strategically when it comes to who plays.

First time I’ve admitted this in my 60 years of UT fandom. It used to be that a UT game was the highlight of the weekend and something to plan around. Now not so much. I’ll watch the game if there’s nothing else to do but I’ve found more enjoyable things to do on most Saturdays. Golf, playing with grandkids, etc. Sad to say it but it is what it is. The university has done this to us with its obvious lack of interest in having a high level program. And it’s going to take hard work to get the fans back.

So you really think that what people are saying on a message board has more of a negative impact than putting an incompetent team on the field every single week? That somehow, us being upset with the product and results we are seeing are somehow worse than the results themselves. You pumpers need to stop blaming the part of the fanbase that is tired of the same old song and dance we've been doing for the last decade.

Don't put words in my mouth. The performances are out there for kids and support folks in the decision path to see. I have no idea what CPF is sharing with anyone involved in the recruiting processes regarding Coach's status, but there is not a single positive for anyone identifying as a fan for taking shots at any coach any time. I am not seeing anyone saying that how the team has played is where they should be, nor justifying or making excuses. But calling for replacement has to be counter productive to the recruiting process. Are you justifying this behavior and saying it does not have serious negative impact potential. Can you really justify these actions while lambasting players for fumbles, interceptions, dropsbad calls, and stupid penalties? What is really frustrating is the frequency that posters repackage their discontent. On top of that it is done on purpose, unlike all the players and coaches. A complete lack of character from where I sit. Not all interceptions are created equal, same for posts and telephone calls. Not long ago I shared my WWII foxhole analogy so I won't do that again, but the concepts are the same.... there can be value add to a team with personnel changes, same with posters. Very few of us have any idea what change options are available to UT at any given time. Demanding change in absence of this knowledge is what it is.... and it is not smart nor productive.

I’ll tell you this, I used to be able to tell you the entire schedule come July. Not anymore. After the Georgia meltdown, I didn’t watch the Alabama Tennessee game for the first time in decades. I’ll never pull for another team but I will not waste my money and or Saturdays for Tennessee football anymore until they do what they are suppose to do. If I’m at the house and it’s on I’ll probably flip back and forth. The last several Saturdays have been great getting out of the house with the family and not being pissed off.

I'm ready to swallow my pride and take Kiffin. He knows this program. He knows the SEC. He's been inside Bama. He's matured and has been chomping at the bit for a second shot at this job. He'd certainly appreciate it now and I think he'd be extremely successful here if given another chance. Another plus is his offensive mindset. Tailor made for today's game.
I doubt Kiffin would come back. There’s something in Knoxville that makes coaches unhappy if I had to guess. There’s no pressure at ole miss and Kiffin will eventually win a lot there.

Great post title "apathy at an all-time high" - Freak, shouldn't there be an award or something?

VN Store

Back