Is this the most talented Tennessee men’s basketball team ever?

No offense to this team but the Ernie/Bernie team was much more talented. They were probably better at every starting position. This years team may have a deeper bench but the first six players there is no comparison.

Reactions: cardvolfan
Bernie was the greatest basketball player to ever play at Tennessee in the SEC. He was so good that the team had set rules and Bernie had his own set of rules. He could have robbed a bank, and he would have never been punished by the staff.

The Ernie and Bernie show was fun to watch.

A few years before Ernie and Bernie came along, Ernie DiGregorio, who played at Providence, was a magician with the ball in his hand. His teammates had to have their head on a swivel, or he would take their heads off with those behind the back passes.

Didn't mean to hijack this thread but those three guys were just great ball players.
FYP........

Reactions: chuckiepoo
I love this team, but Ernie and Bernie and 3 walkons would have been more talented.
That's funny, but false
Good call, BKGOAT! For all the less informed ... I propose ...
The 'walkons' in 76-77 were, in no particular order:
Mike Jackson who gunned it in from incredibly long distances. He busted the triangle and two to smithereens. For his career, he was a 48% shooter from the floor and 14 ppg.
Johnny Darden who was a young sophomore but was also flashing what was to come.
Reggie Johnson was a freshman but was our center that year (shot 64% and averaged 11 ppg) along with freshman Chuck Threeths.
Terry Crosby was versatile, quick, and was a good leaper and Bert Bertelkamp was just a freshman trying to figure it out - they were our other two guards.

None of those guys were walk on caliber .... they helped make the Ernie and Bernie show, one of the most memorable times in my life as a bb fan!
There are so many good memories there. I am expecting this year to have just as many. When you have two really good pieces on the floor ... it makes the entire floor so much better.
That team averaged 85 ppg, before the 3 pt shot!!!

No offense to this team but the Ernie/Bernie team was much more talented. They were probably better at every starting position. This years team may have a deeper bench but the first six players there is no comparison.
I respectfully disagree.
Knecht reminds me of Ernie, a little bit ... scores at all three levels. Is a little bit on the physical side. I want to see the final output before I make a call on this one. But at this time I would give Ernie the edge. Ernie's defensive was certainly more polished.
There is no one on the team that compares to Bernard!
The teams are similar in that they did have great 'senior' leadership in Mike, Ernie, and Bernie. This team is led by JJJ, SV and DK.
They both wanted to run the floor and make it a fast paced game. If this team averages in the 80's we will exceed their 22-6 and first round exit from the NCAAT.

The teams are different. The times are different. The 76-77 team exploded down the floor. They were also an offensive juggernaut. That team was so incredibly quick. They hid a lot of their defensive issues with sheer speed and moxie.

This team is better defensively. If they continue to have balance due to offensively threats all over the floor, this team will be calling for the glass slipper.

My favorite TN bb teams of all time:
1976-77
1975-77
All the Lady Vols Teams during the Pat Summitt era
2023-24

For me, this years team is as talented or more talented across the board as the 2018-19.
We have had some incredible talent that did not stay very long.
I think this team is special! I did opine that this team would win 25 games in the regular season!

Reactions: knoxvol52
There is no one on the team that compares to Bernard!
The teams are similar in that they did have great 'senior' leadership in Mike, Ernie, and Bernie. This team is led by JJJ, SV and DK.

Perhaps it’s why you have ‘senior’ quoted, but as I’m sure you know Bernard skipped his senior year.

I’d add ZZ, Mashack, and Aidoo to this year’s leadership.

This has to be UT’s most talented 13 deep roster.

The team is very good but it's very early. This kind of talk gets thrown around every year. The Springer/Johnson team is one that comes to mind. Fans were going crazy after we beat up on a couple directional schools. It ended up being a good but not great team. We will know a little more after Hawaii.
I agree with this, I don’t want to answer this question until at least after Maui, maybe even after the @North Carolina game.

Reactions: ColinS
We’ve had a pretty awesome run since Bruce Pearl turned us into a relevant basketball school.

Lots of talent.

But I truly feel this team is the most complete team we’ve had.

The team with:

Grant Williams
Admiral schofield
Kyle Alexander
Jordan Bone

Had a very strong starting 5 and Bowden was a good 6 man.

This team I feel is just better.

Knecht is the guy we’ve been waiting for. This far into the season he has that “I want the ball” go to scorer. Whereas before we wanted JJJ to be the guy, he didn’t have that instinct. He has the ability, and I think having Knecht take that responsibility from JJJ will allow JJJ to actually be the guy to hit a huge shot or two down the stretch.

Once Vescovi learns to play a 2 man game with Knecht, he should feast. You can’t double Vescovi if that leaves Knecht to slash all over you.

Aidoo is a very good big man. With a solid mid range game and the ability to dominate the post and get boards.

Awaka going to develop further into a dominant PF. And we’re going to give teams a strong down low look with Aidoo and Awaka complimenting each other when needed.

Gainey I think is a really nice presence that will offer some interesting looks to hit multiple slashers with swing men. I love the idea of having a set with Vescovi at point, Knecht and Gainey/James at swings, and Aidoo and Awaka banging down low. Or even throw James in for a Awaka to have a mobile offensive set with a solid mid range big man that can dominate the post like Aidoo.

Mashack is the wild card. He’s that guy that has the highest athletic potential of anybody on the team. And he’s worked on his shot. He’s a lock down guard. He’s going to be key.

Not to mention we’ve got Ziegler back who will put some interesting sets available and the ability to control guard play for late tourney runs.

We also have some very talented freshmen.

This is a team built for a run. I think we win it all.

So—is there any Tennessee basketball team that’s been as talented?
As most anyone who was there would tell you, some of the Ernie/Bernie teams were most talented in the top 5, but they never had any depth. Personally, I think that's why they lost some big games that they should have won. They were not able to play hard-nosed defense for 40 minutes, and survive a season.

As far as having 10 or 11 guys who can play, I think this team is the best top-to-bottom. So, I think they can avoid most of those long dry stretches, and can play defense for 40 minutes.

Obviously, some pieces of the puzzle need to continue to develop. I think one of the most important is to have some our freshmen big men need to develop so that we have enough fouls to give in the paint. Otherwise, we just need everyone healthy and locked in.

Best Starting 5.... ehhhh. Most balanced? not really. Deepest? for sure.

Depth is where this team stands out. but we are sorely lacking in post-players which is the opposite of the norm. Usually, the best UT teams have had great wings and good posts and no real PG. I would not say we are bereft at the post but if we play a bigger team we are in trouble. I think as far as ball handlers and scorers this is as good as we have been. So far ZZ is the only true point we have but we have at least 3 other guys that can initiate the offense decently in his absence.

The key to how this season turns out comes down to Aidoo, Awaka, and the other post-players' development. Thats assuming ZZ comes back near 80+%

Best Starting 5.... ehhhh. Most balanced? not really. Deepest? for sure.

Depth is where this team stands out. but we are sorely lacking in post-players which is the opposite of the norm. Usually, the best UT teams have had great wings and good posts and no real PG. I would not say we are bereft at the post but if we play a bigger team we are in trouble. I think as far as ball handlers and scorers this is as good as we have been. So far ZZ is the only true point we have but we have at least 3 other guys that can initiate the offense decently in his absence.

The key to how this season turns out comes down to Aidoo, Awaka, and the other post-players' development. Thats assuming ZZ comes back near 80+%
The answer to the bigger post player question could come as early as this Tuesday.

Luckily Lofton is only asking why no one pays attention. This is a thread about team talent, not individual talent. Tobias Harris and Dale Ellis are not mentioned for the same reason.
Look at what I was replying to first...it was about knecht being the best shooter we've ever had at creating his own shot. He's played 3 games compared to an all time great

We’ve had a pretty awesome run since Bruce Pearl turned us into a relevant basketball school.

Lots of talent.

But I truly feel this team is the most complete team we’ve had.

The team with:

Grant Williams
Admiral schofield
Kyle Alexander
Jordan Bone

Had a very strong starting 5 and Bowden was a good 6 man.

This team I feel is just better.

Knecht is the guy we’ve been waiting for. This far into the season he has that “I want the ball” go to scorer. Whereas before we wanted JJJ to be the guy, he didn’t have that instinct. He has the ability, and I think having Knecht take that responsibility from JJJ will allow JJJ to actually be the guy to hit a huge shot or two down the stretch.

Once Vescovi learns to play a 2 man game with Knecht, he should feast. You can’t double Vescovi if that leaves Knecht to slash all over you.

Aidoo is a very good big man. With a solid mid range game and the ability to dominate the post and get boards.

Awaka going to develop further into a dominant PF. And we’re going to give teams a strong down low look with Aidoo and Awaka complimenting each other when needed.

Gainey I think is a really nice presence that will offer some interesting looks to hit multiple slashers with swing men. I love the idea of having a set with Vescovi at point, Knecht and Gainey/James at swings, and Aidoo and Awaka banging down low. Or even throw James in for a Awaka to have a mobile offensive set with a solid mid range big man that can dominate the post like Aidoo.

Mashack is the wild card. He’s that guy that has the highest athletic potential of anybody on the team. And he’s worked on his shot. He’s a lock down guard. He’s going to be key.

Not to mention we’ve got Ziegler back who will put some interesting sets available and the ability to control guard play for late tourney runs.

We also have some very talented freshmen.

This is a team built for a run. I think we win it all.

So—is there any Tennessee basketball team that’s been as talented?

Cade Phillips will be a solid complement to Aidoo and Awaka.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Look at what I was replying to first...it was about knecht being the best shooter we've ever had at creating his own shot. He's played 3 games compared to an all time great
Alan Houston never gets the credit he deserves but he could get any shot he wanted. Too bad the team wasn’t very good with him.

VN Store

Back