Is there any chance that Baron comes back? [Ole Miss]

Yeah, God forbid he consider the 'TEAM'. I don't care what he does. Probably best to just HTFR. That's actually my preference.
You know that he's not your property. He's been a part of the team for quite a while. He can explore his options AND come back if he wants too. You should seek therapy over your butt hurt.

I wonder if fans apply that same criteria to themselves and their employers. You know, you got hired out of college by a good firm but God forbid you ever consider moving on to another place - got to be loyal to the company.
You act as if you like this mass confusion of transfers

I wonder if fans apply that same criteria to themselves and their employers. You know, you got hired out of college by a good firm but God forbid you ever consider moving on to another place - got to be loyal to the company.
A lot different, I mean the guy is a local guy probably grew up as a dream to play for the Vols and wear his hometown colors. I mean what kid grows up saying my only dream is to work for ABC Assembly line and you don't get an education at your job preparing you for life and a job. I mean you cant have your hand out forever bidding with collectives and also staying in your hometown and playing for that University opens a lot of doors for you, that swing both ways. You go to someplace for 1 year make a little more in you're NIL but then the year is over and ppl from Mississippi or wherever says THX "we hardly knew ya" see ya, wouldn't wanna be ya.

No, you are just used to these young men getting screwed and you've enjoyed watching them sacrifice their bodies for a pittance.

All-in cost at Tennessee for an out-of-state student, which is the majority of our roster, is $50k a year. So that's $200k-$250k of value right off the bat for someone who sticks around. Then you add in the nutritionists, tutors, swag, etc. Then there's the value of the degree, if they get it, which provides a much hire earnings potential post football.

I don't think it can be called a pittance anymore. Maybe 40 years ago when college was still affordable for the average middle class family, but not now.

It's still a false equivalency when discussing the missions of a school vs a company. Sure, players have the right to transfer for additional benefits .... and as fans/alums of the schools in question - we have a right to be critical of them for it .... and we will be. It's not the same thing as simply changing jobs.

Not to mention that 100k people don't show up to watch someone post accounting entries, stock shelves or build a widget.

The emotional investment fans put into this sport gives them every right to feel betrayed and bitter about a good player leaving their beloved team.

Does the player have the right to leave? Sure, but the fans don't have to like it.

For 4 - 5 years I'd hope so. The company has been investing in a young grad and preparing them to take the proficiency test for being a PE, Architect, CPA or whatever and they leave as soon as they get their license? Zero return on the investment for the company in those cases. My first gig was 24 1/2 years and I'm on year 15 with my second. Loyalty is a thing.

Google Tyler Baron and you get the gist. Coach Garner is quoted in one pre season article that "Tyler is buying in to the team concept and it's more about team than Tyler now". That's an innate quality for most guys in team sports, but apparently not with this guy. He's ok, but never really reached his potential here that I can see. Maybe a change of scenery would be best for both parties. He's draft eligible and not getting drafted evidently. Not a huge loss.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hank Bukowski
All-in cost at Tennessee for an out-of-state student, which is the majority of our roster, is $50k a year. So that's $200k-$250k of value right off the bat for someone who sticks around. Then you add in the nutritionists, tutors, swag, etc. Then there's the value of the degree, if they get it, which provides a much hire earnings potential post football.

I don't think it can be called a pittance anymore. Maybe 40 years ago when college was still affordable for the average middle class family, but not now.
And he can get that same thing from ANY major university PLUS NIL.

It's tiring people insisting "the scholarship is worth so much" because it's been OBVIOUS since boosters started paying players years ago that the players are worth more than the value of the scholarship to the teams.

Just give it a rest. The players are more valuable than you'd like to believe to the programs.

When the players can make more in the free market they were being screwed. Apparently, you dig slavery.
It's being reported it's not about money. Dude has a loser mindset. His unit came up short in 2022 and cost us a college football playoff spot. He thinks he can go somewhere else and be carried by better players to a playoff.

But yeah you are right. He's been treated so poorly in his time here you can compare it to slavery. Crazy to throw those comparisons around and undermine the brutality of slavery.

This is his second year in a row he’s jumped in portal, it has to be a one way ticket this year for the sake of the program Even though he was a good player.

Tennessee football transfers Tyler Baron and Tamarion McDonald are visiting Ole Miss on Thursday, On3 first reported.

Lane Kiffin is such a freakin worm.

My guess is he ends up at Ole Miss. They are saying TX GA and AL are interested as well but I am thinking they could all do better....no disrespect to Baron....its just those programs get anyone they want at this point.

This speaks to a larger problem with NIL. I am 100% for players being able to cash in on their NIL, no questions. What is currently happening is the Wild West and needs to be reigned in. $8M for a QB who never took a snap is insanity. Paying players to play, which is what is happening, isn't the intent.

I would propose that no incoming Freshman be allowed to take money from anyone other than an actual business. Now, that could be Gatorade or the local car lot, doesn't matter. Autographs, posters, ads and merchandise (jerseys, T-Shirts) all inbounds. We need to stop this bounty system that is being allowed to happen.

In other words, you can cash in on your NIL but not get a salary to play for a school. The players could then build their brand and earning potential over their time at a school. National level players (e.g. Heisman candidates) could make even more but any player could seek out opportunities locally/regionally. This, to me, feels more like something earned than handed out.

EDIT: Also builds local loyalty with players and fans; potentially dissuades players from becoming Free Agents.

It's still a false equivalency when discussing the missions of a school vs a company. Sure, players have the right to transfer for additional benefits .... and as fans/alums of the schools in question - we have a right to be critical of them for it .... and we will be. It's not the same thing as simply changing jobs.
I don’t disagree with anything you’ve said. However I think we need to accept that college football has completely changed. It is more of a semi pro job now for some kids. Hell back several years ago when you were employed by someone loyalty was expected and people didn’t job hop as often. Money changes everything. Completely agree people can be critical of these athletes but at the same time the landscape of athletics has changed.

This speaks to a larger problem with NIL. I am 100% for players being able to cash in on their NIL, no questions. What is currently happening is the Wild West and needs to be reigned in. $8M for a QB who never took a snap is insanity. Paying players to play, which is what is happening, isn't the intent.

I would propose that no incoming Freshman be allowed to take money from anyone other than an actual business. Now, that could be Gatorade or the local car lot, doesn't matter. Autographs, posters, ads and merchandise (jerseys, T-Shirts) all inbounds. We need to stop this bounty system that is being allowed to happen.

In other words, you can cash in on your NIL but not get a salary to play for a school. The players could then build their brand and earning potential over their time at a school. National level players (e.g. Heisman candidates) could make even more but any player could seek out opportunities locally/regionally. This, to me, feels more like something earned than handed out.
Good luck with that. Limiting earning potential in any way will be a slippery slope legally.

Good luck with that. Limiting earning potential in any way will be a slippery slope legally.
I hear you but the point, and I may not have worded it clearly, is to prevent recruiting with these deals vs. allowing players to actually earn their NILs.

Legally, and I'm not an employment lawyer, it would need to be consistent across the country.

I would be all for a reasonable pay for players & a fund set aside for College Players that have physical issues later in life attributable to their College Playing Days; but this bidding war crap is total BS.

EDIT: Also builds local loyalty with players and fans; potentially dissuades players from becoming Free Agents.
Legally, the schools can't restrict where a player gets NIL.

While it sucks, it's not going anywhere and not going to get more restrictive. If they could, they would restrict it...... no one wants to spend the kind of money on players NIL is becoming..... but they can't.

VN Store

Back