Is there any chance that Baron comes back? [Ole Miss]

This speaks to a larger problem with NIL. I am 100% for players being able to cash in on their NIL, no questions. What is currently happening is the Wild West and needs to be reigned in. $8M for a QB who never took a snap is insanity. Paying players to play, which is what is happening, isn't the intent.

I would propose that no incoming Freshman be allowed to take money from anyone other than an actual business. Now, that could be Gatorade or the local car lot, doesn't matter. Autographs, posters, ads and merchandise (jerseys, T-Shirts) all inbounds. We need to stop this bounty system that is being allowed to happen.

In other words, you can cash in on your NIL but not get a salary to play for a school. The players could then build their brand and earning potential over their time at a school. National level players (e.g. Heisman candidates) could make even more but any player could seek out opportunities locally/regionally. This, to me, feels more like something earned than handed out.

EDIT: Also builds local loyalty with players and fans; potentially dissuades players from becoming Free Agents.
It’s what the market will bear.

Reactions: Vol8188
They were being paid less than their market rate. They were being screwed and controlled. It may not be slavery. Share cropping is probably a better comparison.
You are suggesting that nothing can be gained from a free college education for student athletes, other than enhancing their chances to either make money while still in college, or to make money in a professional sport's league. That's insulting to the average student-athlete. It's just a dumb argument all around.

This speaks to a larger problem with NIL. I am 100% for players being able to cash in on their NIL, no questions. What is currently happening is the Wild West and needs to be reigned in. $8M for a QB who never took a snap is insanity. Paying players to play, which is what is happening, isn't the intent.

I would propose that no incoming Freshman be allowed to take money from anyone other than an actual business. Now, that could be Gatorade or the local car lot, doesn't matter. Autographs, posters, ads and merchandise (jerseys, T-Shirts) all inbounds. We need to stop this bounty system that is being allowed to happen.

In other words, you can cash in on your NIL but not get a salary to play for a school. The players could then build their brand and earning potential over their time at a school. National level players (e.g. Heisman candidates) could make even more but any player could seek out opportunities locally/regionally. This, to me, feels more like something earned than handed out.

EDIT: Also builds local loyalty with players and fans; potentially dissuades players from becoming Free Agents.

Wait people think Nico got $8m up front guaranteed? 😂😂😂😂

Reactions: JohnD13
Just trying to rationalize going through the hassle of transferring to Ole Miss rather than just going pro.
Probably didn’t get a high draft grade. Not a sure-fire NFL prospect. His first NFL contract might be his only NFL contract so might as well make guaranteed money.

Reactions: irish1485
He doesn't have confidence that he will make an NFL roster .... probably because of a low projection in the draft.

So what does that mean? That means come back to play a final year in college and go to whoever pays you the most NIL deal….

So what does that mean? That means come back to play a final year in college and go to whoever pays you the most NIL deal….
It also means that this is hardly a big loss for Tennessee. Yes, he was a starter .... but a starter for a couple of mediocre to bad defenses. It's not hating on him, to believe that he should be replaceable for a program with the resources of Tennessee.

VN Store

Back