Is there any chance that Baron comes back? [Ole Miss]

Not really. While that true for the majority of folks who get scholarships - especially in lower divisions and for the non competitive schools - it’s not true for those who have the talent and skills to pro. They are effectively full time employees in training for their career - the potential for a degree is a side benefit similar to their healthcare, boarding , meals, etc. Recent changes now allow them to transfer from one training facility to another without penalty. For big time football and basketball players, looking at it as being the old student-athlete model isn’t really accurate anymore.
It's still a false equivalency when discussing the missions of a school vs a company. Sure, players have the right to transfer for additional benefits .... and as fans/alums of the schools in question - we have a right to be critical of them for it .... and we will be. It's not the same thing as simply changing jobs.

Rumor is he and Banks cannot stand on another. I doubt he comes back. He did this last year and why keep a guy who obviously doesn’t want to be here and can then become a cancer? Let him be.

Reactions: Jaingo and Ratvol
It's still a false equivalency when discussing the missions of a school vs a company. Sure, players have right to transfer for additional benefits .... and as fans/alums of the schools in question - we have a right to be critical of them for it .... and we will be. It's not the same thing as simply changing jobs.
But big time players aren’t coming to a school because of its academic mission. They are coming to train for professional sports. That’s their reality.

I will say he played hard every game as i recall. So at least he didn't sandbag the season. btw, if he did he would have been sitting on the pine for lack of effort. So yes this is second year in a row this has occurred and we feel like we are possibly being played. The Lane train was in town and now we know why. Not just a promo pic with Heisman Daniels.

Not just specific to Baron, but to any of them that ever leave, I hope we don't have to suffer through a bunch of "Wish him the best" blah blah blah and we certainly don't need to refer to any of them as VFLs. Pretty sure the L is for life, and isn't to be used when you're just chasing a dollar. I get it, CFB is forever changed, and these players are essentially free agents, but I'll just be over here in my little corner being a curmudgeon who longs for the good ol days when loyalty was valued.

I wonder if fans apply that same criteria to themselves and their employers. You know, you got hired out of college by a good firm but God forbid you ever consider moving on to another place - got to be loyal to the company.
Nah! No hypocrites around here. Gotta love those double standards.

Reactions: irish1485
Only 1.6% of the ncaa football players get to go pro. If you could break it down to just power 5 schools it would be much higher. There are 128 FBS teams if all had 28 scholarships, then 10,880 fb players on scholarship. If you figure and even amount of each class, that would leave 2,720 senoirs. There are 259 nfl draft picks. That would mean that about 9.5% would be drafted. Then you take some spots from the few from lower levels that get drafted, that would lower that percentage. So even if the NFL only took seniors and only FBS players you are talking about less than 10% getting to the NFL. So the vast majority of football players are not going to play in the NFL.

Only 1.6% of the ncaa football players get to go pro. If you could break it down to just power 5 schools it would be much higher. There are 128 FBS teams if all had 28 scholarships, then 10,880 fb players on scholarship. If you figure and even amount of each class, that would leave 2,720 senoirs. There are 259 nfl draft picks. That would mean that about 9.5% would be drafted. Then you take some spots from the few from lower levels that get drafted, that would lower that percentage. So even if the NFL only took seniors and only FBS players you are talking about less than 10% getting to the NFL. So the vast majority of football players are not going to play in the NFL.
But the point is that for those few, like Baron, who are good enough to play professionally after college and leverage their position, this is a business decision. BTW, don't be shocked if Nico does the very same thing to Tennessee before he graduates.

Reactions: Sarms58
If I recall, the previous portal entry was for less than a day and revolved around his father being fired. Doesnt really matter, but i have seen many say he has "done this before", but this is his first move to get more money. Moves are made like this in the real world daily. Sometimes the employer uses it to move on to younger and cheaper talent. I would think that if the coaches wanted to keep him, they would find a way. VFL in my book

Not really. While that true for the majority of folks who get scholarships - especially in lower divisions and for the non competitive schools - it’s not true for those who have the talent and skills to pro. They are effectively full time employees in training for their career - the potential for a degree is a side benefit similar to their healthcare, boarding , meals, etc. Recent changes now allow them to transfer from one training facility to another without penalty. For big time football and basketball players, looking at it as being the old student-athlete model isn’t really accurate anymore.

But the point is that for those few, like Baron, who are good enough to play professionally after college and leverage their position, this is a business decision. BTW, don't be shocked if Nico does the very same thing to Tennessee before he graduates.
The point is that people are talking like every football player is out for the buck. My point is that it is only a smaller %. They may be "big" names, but it takes 11 players playing together to make a team successful. Nico may very well be the best quarterback ever, but if he doesn't have the recievers, OL, RB's on the same page then we will not be successful. Also there has to be 11 guys on defense on the same page. One breakdown and it could be a touchdown. Sure we need good players, but we don't have to have the best at every position to be a great team. These schools that are successful are because they not only have solid or better players, but they also play in the scheme together.

If I recall, the previous portal entry was for less than a day and revolved around his father being fired. Doesnt really matter, but i have seen many say he has "done this before", but this is his first move to get more money. Moves are made like this in the real world daily. Sometimes the employer uses it to move on to younger and cheaper talent. I would think that if the coaches wanted to keep him, they would find a way. VFL in my book
It was definitely for more than just a day, and his previous flirtation involved Kentucky. Now, what would that have had to do with his dad being fired? He's from Knoxville, isn't he? I know he went to Catholic.

It was definitely for more than just a day, and his previous flirtation involved Kentucky. Now, what would that have had to do with his dad being fired? He's from Knoxville, isn't he? I know he went to Catholic.
From the AZ Sports article in January of 2022

"It's worth noting that Baron's dad, Patrick Abernathy, was let go as UT's director of player personnel recently. That likely influenced Baron's decision to leave."

Also, he entered the portal on January 6th and withdrew his name on January 7th

that Baron comes back? I know he did this a few years ago and came back. Anyone heard anything about him returning>

Personally, I don’t care in the least. The kid made his priorities clear when he put a “for sale” sign on his forehead and announced it to the world.

Reactions: BigOrangeTrain
Nothing is lateral anymore if the money is more. Kids don’t chase titles thry cjase the best deal. If they win a championship it’s a plus. NFL will find you no matter where you are.
eh, somewhat true. If Baron was worth the money he would be going to the NFL this year. He's not getting any younger...

If somebody doesn’t wanna be here then why would you want them back? Have you ever worked with someone who hates their job? It’s awful and brings the whole crew down

Reactions: Snapper58
I don't like to criticize these players for transferring without knowing the real reason behind it but he might have already burned his repour with the team and coaches.

VN Store

Back