Is Kentucky a must win game?

No.

I mean, depends how you define "must win," but most definitions would be answered, "no."

It's not required to get to a bowl.

We're almost certainly not in the hunt for SEC-East, so that doesn't make it must-win.

About the only must-win angle I can think of is, they're Kentucky. We simply do not. Lose. To Kentucky.

So if that's where you're coming from, then Yes. Otherwise, pretty much No.

But it doesn't have to be must-win for us to want to win.

So let's win anyway. Go Vols!
We're absolutely not in the hunt for the SEC East

Absolutely ! We have sent a message to SC, Mizzou, as well as Vandy they are gonna be at the bottom where they belong. After the debacle against the cats last year, we need to put them back where they belong too. A GOOD bowl game is crucial to recruiting, so we can get who we want . It's encouraging to see our guys fighting the entire game now instead of quitting after the first quarter.

We're absolutely not in the hunt for the SEC East
Heh, I know.

But I think we're not (quite) out of it yet, technically speaking. We could end up 5-3, with tie-breakers over a 5-3 UGa and 5-3 Ky, and everyone else 4-4 or worse. I think. :)

That would only require:
  • Us to run the table (beat Ky, UGa, and Vandy)
  • UGa to lose, not only to us, but also both Florida and Mizzou
  • Kentucky to lose, to either Miss State or Vandy
  • Florida to lose, to either USCe or Mizzou
Man, if that were to happen, it would really be a sign that Mark Richt has lost control of the Georgia football program.

Last edited:
It's not a must win but its one that will help our turnaround. We need to let Kentucky know that while we applaud them for their investment in football and recognize their improvement, they are not our equals...that message needs to go out to all the HS recruits who might be thinking Kentucky is moving into the upper echelon of the SEC east...they are not because we are reclaiming our spot. First we must get back into the top 3 and then we can overtake Georgia and Florida.

Reactions: Orange Maniac
Kentucky is much better than Mizzou and South Carolina this year we will be lucky to win this game. I’ve also noticed while they play fairly conservative and vanilla Kentucky doesn’t seem to beat themselves a sure sign of a well coached team. A loss won’t have us trending well in our series with them either that would be 3 losses to them since 2017 and back to back losses I can’t recall the last time that happened along with 4 losses to them since 2011. We need to win this game.

Last edited:
Heh, I know.

But I think we're not (quite) out of it yet, technically speaking. We could end up 5-3, with tie-breakers over a 5-3 UGa and 5-3 Ky, and everyone else 4-4 or worse. I think. :)

That would only require:
  • Us to run the table (beat Ky, UGa, and Vandy)
  • UGa to lose, not only to us, but also both Florida and Mizzou
  • Kentucky to lose, to either Miss State or Vandy
  • Florida to lose, to either USCe or Mizzou
Man, if that were to happen, it would really be a sign that Mark Richt has lost control of the Georgia football program.

For us to win out, the rest of our games are must win.

Plan A is to win out. It doesn’t matter the week of the season, win out is the answer.

While I won't say it's a must win game, it would be the type of win that will give us a real shot in the arm when it comes to recruiting. To play the way we have against some of the tougher opponents on the schedule is great, but to beat one of them would be huge.

It's the only game left on the schedule that really matters. We ain't beating UGA, And we're not losing to Vandy and SA.

Need to beat UK. 7-5 in the first year with a chance for 8 (barring bowl ban) would he huge in the first year. And looking back at the end of the season we will be able to say confidently that there were only 2 teams on the schedule that were better than us.

Reactions: PlanetVolunteer
Yes, shows progress of the program. Also get us to 7-5 with a possible bowl win .

No it’s not must win. How many games did you expect TN to win this year before the season started? The vast majority of the fan base said 6-6. We have 6-6 now. Beating UK puts us at 7-5. Which would constitute a very good season.

So no UK is not a MUST win. Will I be pissed if we lose? Yes. But a must win? Nope.

Yes.
Beldar got ran off for 3 SEC wins.
New Coach needs to show improvement in the SEC W/L record.

VN Store

Back